IGNORED

pro life slogans

merrily

Good signs are ones that communicate with people and cause them to take a different action or think in a different way.

Bad signs are ones that reinforce negative stereotypes or are preachy, condemnatory, hard to understand. These types of signs are ultimately counterproductive and a waste of time.

Also, studies show that the physical characteristics of the child and the development facts are insufficient to cause a woman not to abort. Since most women facing unplanned pregnancies feel alone, signs should reinforce the pro-life community’s love and compassion rather than blunt statements about fetal development.

Good Signs Examples

Everyone should have a birthday

A person’s a person, no matter how small. -Dr. Seuss

Smile. Your Mom chose life!

Abortion – Aren’t you forgetting someone?

As a former fetus, I oppose abortion

Women need Love, not Abortion

Real men love babies

Everybody that is for abortion has already been born. -Ronald Reagan

Planned Parenthood covers up Statutory Rape

Pregnant? We will stand by you

Equal rights for unborn women

A woman has the right to her body, even if she’s still in the womb

Pro-Woman, Pro-Life

Love them both: Choose Life!

Abortion? The Supreme Court also legalized Slavery

I Choose Life

1/3 of our Generation is Missing

Abortion Hurts Women

Bad Signs Examples

Abortion is Murder

Kill rapists, not their children

God hates Abortionists

Pro-Life

Stop Abortion Now

Abortion Kills Children

Pro-Vita (or anything in Latin)

Abortion Stops a Beating Heart

it's from studentsforlife :roll:

Everyone should have a birthday what about the worst of dictators? You never know if you'll spawn one

A person’s a person, no matter how small. -Dr. Seuss he wasn't anti-woman

Smile. Your Mom chose life! and she wanted you! how hard is it to comprehend to these people :evil:

Abortion – Aren’t you forgetting someone?... fetuses can't ask questions or think

As a former fetus, I oppose abortion it's easy to say that if you're a middle class pro-lifer

Women need Love, not Abortionbut once the baby's born, we're totes over!

Real men love babiesso do rapists who sue for custory

Everybody that is for abortion has already been born. -Ronald Reagan only two quotes? do better!

Planned Parenthood covers up Statutory Rape and your sources are?

Pregnant? We will stand by you*whispers* but you're a slut

Equal rights for unborn womenonce you're born, you're fucked!

A woman has the right to her body, even if she’s still in the womb how does a mass of cells have a right to their anatomy?

Pro-Woman, Pro-Life but we'll let you die from complications

Love them both: Choose Life!for 9 months, anyway

Abortion? The Supreme Court also legalized Slavery Some countries also banned abortion, guess how well that went

I Choose Life only fetuses, mind you

1/3 of our Generation is Missing and what difference does that make? we're still overpopulated

Abortion Hurts Women it won't if you eliminate their need for an abortion

Gods hates abortionnist : So something that doesn't exist hate me? Hard revelation.

A person’s a person, no matter how small. -Dr. Seuss

Dr. Seuss' widow still sues anti-choice groups that steal quotes from "Horton Hears a Who" in this way.

Everybody that is for abortion has already been born. -Ronald Reagan

And everybody that is against abortion has already been born. Isn't it fascinating that only independent, sentient humans have the neurological capability to form opinions?

My favourite is "Pregnant? We will stand by you." Until, that is, the woman needs health care to birth the baby, subsidized housing for it to live in, subsidized daycare so she can go to work, food stamps so she can feed it, etc etc etc. So how do they stand by any pregnant women besides waving a sign in her face? Oh, I forgot, they will stand by her if she births a healthy white baby while they convince her to give the baby to a rich Christian family.

They forgot these:

Pro-Gun (because not all life is sacred if it's murderers! Even soldiers during war-time) and pro-life!

Pro-hetero unborn babies only,

anti-unborn Muslim babies,

anti-BGLT unborn babies,

anti-unborn babies who decide to be atheists,

won't respect un-born babies if they become democrats,

every unborn baby will be a savior to mankind,

single mothers who decide to keep un-born babies don't deserve support,

illegal unborn anchor babies aren't American,

all pregnant women forced to give birth will love their un-born babies,

single mothers need to marry in order to be successful,

adoption is such an easy process in America

and God doesn't abort babies through menstural cycles and erections.

Did I miss anything? :roll: :D

Everyone should have a birthday: Miscarriages don't get a birthday either

A person’s a person, no matter how small. -Dr. Seuss: Dr. Seuss hated this line being used in anti-choice campaigns. You are disrespecting Mr. Geisel and his great work.

Smile. Your Mom chose life!: Smile. My mother wanted to have me.

Abortion – Aren’t you forgetting someone?: Nope. No one's forgotten.

As a former fetus, I oppose abortion: As a former fetus, I oppose bringing children into this world you don't want.

Women need Love, not Abortion: Women need to be trusted with important decisions.

Real men love babies: A real man is one who has a penis or is a trans male.

Everybody that is for abortion has already been born. -Ronald Reagan: Everyone who refuses to allow women to abort sees women as incapable of bodily autonomy.

Planned Parenthood covers up Statutory Rape: Prove it, because if a 13yo says she was with a 23yo, I'm sure PP would report it.

Pregnant? We will stand by you: Pregnant? I will stand by you no matter what decision you choose.

Equal rights for unborn women: Unborn females don't have full rights under the law. Neither do male fetuses.

A woman has the right to her body, even if she’s still in the womb: No, fetuses don't have bodily autonomy.

Pro-Woman, Pro-Life: Pro-Women, Pro-Abortion Rights

Love them both: Choose Life!: Will you still love them both even after the fetus is born and they need shelter and food and clothes and diapers? Are you willing to choose to help women who have those babies you so desire to make them have?

Abortion? The Supreme Court also legalized Slavery: Aborting an very unwanted or damaged fetus or life-threatening fetus is not the same as enslaving living, breathing, functioning humans with feelings and emotions. How dare you even compare the both. Sick fucker.

I Choose Life: I Choose Love for all women and their decisions

1/3 of our Generation is Missing: And how the hell would we keep them all fed, clothed, sheltered when we can't fed all the people alive right now? Especially when the parent(s) can't or can barely afford to feed or shelter or clothe themselves? And does the damage of being unloved and unwanted causing lifelong trauma and lead to more criminal activity matter to them?

Abortion Hurts Women: Only when she wanted it and had to remove it or was forced into it. Otherwise, I'll want proof of that claim.

Abortion is Murder: You can't murder something not alive

Kill rapists, not their children: So aborting an unwanted fetus=bad, but murdering adults=A=okay? I mean, yeah, I hate the bastards too and hope the rot in a jail cell, but I don't claim to be pro-life and only care about some life. Consistency: They don't have it.

God hates Abortionists: How do they know who God hates? I was taught that only "god" can judge people, not people. I don't believe in their God, but still. Also, abortionists don't exist. They're just doctors.

Pro-Life: No, you are Pro-Fetus

Stop Abortion Now: Stop Shaming Women to Keep What They Can't Have or Don't Want Now

Abortion Kills Children: No, it removes fetuses from the body. It doesn't kill children.

Pro-Vita (or anything in Latin): Because Latin will make you sound smarter or something?

Abortion Stops a Beating Heart: So do some snake bites.

try two... my first attempt at this seems to have disappeared...

I do enjoy that two of the slogans inadvertently imply that it's okay to abort a male fetus because it's only rights for female fetuses.

That said, the "pro-woman, pro-life" one is actually different than most pro-life beliefs. I have a few cousins who are part of this movement. It's not just arbitrarily saying no to every abortion, but not offering other solutions; the pro-woman part is about offering a better quality of life for the babies after birth and offering services to the women that are currently denied or inadequate. As much as I am pro-choice, I do agree with them. I've long since said that the best way to prevent abortions is to start preventing the reason women have abortions (better education, better access to health care, better access to birth control, safe houses, help financially before and after the birth of the child, an ability to finish school while raising children, etc).

If I were considering an abortion, I feel like developmental facts would sway me way more than their lovey-dovy bullshit. Are there real studies to show that those don't work, while "As a former fetus, I oppose abortion" does?

Can't get over the "Kill rapists, not their children," even though they cite it as a bad example. Just because you don't want it on a sign outside your adoption agency doesn't mean you don't feel that way; and if you feel that way, you don't really value human life all that much after all, do you? :liar:

eta: Yikes, where'd the distracting flaming pants come from? All I wanted was pinocchio-nose!

My favourite is "Pregnant? We will stand by you." Until, that is, the woman needs health care to birth the baby, subsidized housing for it to live in, subsidized daycare so she can go to work, food stamps so she can feed it, etc etc etc. So how do they stand by any pregnant women besides waving a sign in her face? Oh, I forgot, they will stand by her if she births a healthy white baby while they convince her to give the baby to a rich Christian family.

Oh, they do a bit more than that. Their "pregnancy centers" will help them find low cost prenatal care if possible and if they keep the baby, they will take a picture for the wall then send them on their way with a free "layette set" --usually a receiving blanket, a sleeper, a few onesies, and some coupons for a little money off a box or two of diapers.

Because that is going to take care of a woman and child's needs for 18 years, right?

If I were considering an abortion, I feel like developmental facts would sway me way more than their lovey-dovy bullshit. Are there real studies to show that those don't work, while "As a former fetus, I oppose abortion" does?

Studies? That involves SCIENCE! And we can't have that, now can we? :doh:

Here are some slogans that could actually work:

"We offer all the emotional, practical, legal and financial support you need so that you can choose to continue your pregnancy"

Here's what I would consider to be a genuinely pro-life story (and pro-choice too, since it involves a woman who wanted to keep her pregnancies but felt that financial and health issues would make it impossible):

http://www.justonelife.org/success.asp?pg=featured

Putting together a team of volunteers to help a mom with a debilitating illness and providing financial assistance - golly gee whiz, who'd have thunk that this could make a difference?

Most of the "Good sign examples" are preachy and condemnatory. Not to mention passive-aggressive, condescending and self-righteous. They're not much better than the "Bad sign examples", if at all. If you're going put effort into publishing slogan advice, at least make it good advice. What a waste of time.

I always smile when I see the "Smile, your mom chose life" sign. You see, my mom had an abortion about 5 years before I was born. She was a single 22-year-old without a job, and the father was a creep, who she in no way wanted to be in a relationship with. She married MY dad about 3 years later, and ta da! Here I am. I truly believe that if she had not had that abortion, *I* would not be here. So really, I smile because my mom had a CHOICE, & THAT'S why I'm alive. So there!

Ugh, the "your mom chose life" signs drive me crazy. I was an unplanned child. My parents could have chosen abortion. They also could have chosen to use protection or not to have sex and I wouldn't be here then, either. Knowing the details of my conception and birth doesn't make me pro-life any more than it makes me pro-drunken unprotected teen sex.

I always smile when I see the "Smile, your mom chose life" sign. You see, my mom had an abortion about 5 years before I was born. She was a single 22-year-old without a job, and the father was a creep, who she in no way wanted to be in a relationship with. She married MY dad about 3 years later, and ta da! Here I am. I truly believe that if she had not had that abortion, *I* would not be here. So really, I smile because my mom had a CHOICE, & THAT'S why I'm alive. So there!

I thought I'd post a "me too."My Mom went through the same thing, except she was 18, met my Dad a few months later and I was born just after her 20th birthday.I'm glad you shared that-it will make me smile everytime I see that one, now, also.:-)

"Miscarriages don't get a birthday either"

That's pretty bitchy.

Everyone should have a birthday: Miscarriages don't get a birthday either

A person’s a person, no matter how small. -Dr. Seuss: Dr. Seuss hated this line being used in anti-choice campaigns. You are disrespecting Mr. Geisel and his great work.

Smile. Your Mom chose life!: Smile. My mother wanted to have me.

Abortion – Aren’t you forgetting someone?: Nope. No one's forgotten.

As a former fetus, I oppose abortion: As a former fetus, I oppose bringing children into this world you don't want.

Women need Love, not Abortion: Women need to be trusted with important decisions.

Real men love babies: A real man is one who has a penis or is a trans male.

Everybody that is for abortion has already been born. -Ronald Reagan: Everyone who refuses to allow women to abort sees women as incapable of bodily autonomy.

Planned Parenthood covers up Statutory Rape: Prove it, because if a 13yo says she was with a 23yo, I'm sure PP would report it.

Pregnant? We will stand by you: Pregnant? I will stand by you no matter what decision you choose.

Equal rights for unborn women: Unborn females don't have full rights under the law. Neither do male fetuses.

A woman has the right to her body, even if she’s still in the womb: No, fetuses don't have bodily autonomy.

Pro-Woman, Pro-Life: Pro-Women, Pro-Abortion Rights

Love them both: Choose Life!: Will you still love them both even after the fetus is born and they need shelter and food and clothes and diapers? Are you willing to choose to help women who have those babies you so desire to make them have?

Abortion? The Supreme Court also legalized Slavery: Aborting an very unwanted or damaged fetus or life-threatening fetus is not the same as enslaving living, breathing, functioning humans with feelings and emotions. How dare you even compare the both. Sick fucker.

I Choose Life: I Choose Love for all women and their decisions

1/3 of our Generation is Missing: And how the hell would we keep them all fed, clothed, sheltered when we can't fed all the people alive right now? Especially when the parent(s) can't or can barely afford to feed or shelter or clothe themselves? And does the damage of being unloved and unwanted causing lifelong trauma and lead to more criminal activity matter to them?

Abortion Hurts Women: Only when she wanted it and had to remove it or was forced into it. Otherwise, I'll want proof of that claim.

Abortion is Murder: You can't murder something not alive

Kill rapists, not their children: So aborting an unwanted fetus=bad, but murdering adults=A=okay? I mean, yeah, I hate the bastards too and hope the rot in a jail cell, but I don't claim to be pro-life and only care about some life. Consistency: They don't have it.

God hates Abortionists: How do they know who God hates? I was taught that only "god" can judge people, not people. I don't believe in their God, but still. Also, abortionists don't exist. They're just doctors.

Pro-Life: No, you are Pro-Fetus

Stop Abortion Now: Stop Shaming Women to Keep What They Can't Have or Don't Want Now

Abortion Kills Children: No, it removes fetuses from the body. It doesn't kill children.

Pro-Vita (or anything in Latin): Because Latin will make you sound smarter or something?

Abortion Stops a Beating Heart: So do some snake bites.

Why? Wouldn't miscarriages be reported in the census if they were unborn babies? Populations would be much larger due to reported miscarriages.

"Miscarriages don't get a birthday either"

That's pretty bitchy.

No, it's not "bitchy". They're arguing that everyone deserves a birthday, so don't abort, but miscarriages happen and so not every fetus will get a birthday. Everyone deserves a birthday is what's "bitchy", though I'm not a fan of that word.

No, it's not "bitchy". They're arguing that everyone deserves a birthday, so don't abort, but miscarriages happen and so not every fetus will get a birthday. Everyone deserves a birthday is what's "bitchy", though I'm not a fan of that word.

While I don't think that the original slogan was effective, the snark missed the mark as well.

The fact that there are so many steps between fertilization and birth, where so many things can go wrong or where it can become obviously that the pregnancy was never capable of being viable, is part of the reason that I don't, and can't, make the assumption that fertilized egg = baby.

At the same time, any woman who suffers a miscarriage of a pregnancy that she had intended to carry to term wanted that fetus to have a birthday. In fact, reaching what would have been the estimated due date was a particularly painful time for me [and by "painful", I mean "staring at the bellies of pregnant women while getting jealous, yelling at my mother that I didn't want to hear about the birth of her friend's grandchild, getting furious with the insurance agent's clerk who called to ask about adding the baby to the life insurance policy, bursting into tears in the middle of a wedding shower and spending at least an hour each day crying alone"]. Reminding someone of a painful loss is not a way to score points in a debate. It also doesn't make that much sense. I believe that it's wrong to murder a child, but the fact that children who die of natural causes or accidents don't get to live to see another birthday doesn't change that. If anything, it just emphasizes the grief.

Well, it's great that they are trying not to have a hateful or condemnatory tone, but the problem is that these slogans are just that: slogans. As such they are trite and over simplistic, with no understanding of the complex reasons women choose to abort.

I saw a car with the "choose life; your mom did" sticker the other day. I was like, yes, she did, but she was married and financially stable, and I'm pretty sure she wasn't in the position to consider not "choosing life."

I actually don't really have a problem with pro-life workers who encourage women to choose life - IF they are truly leaving the ultimate choice in the pregnant woman's hands, AND they are offering a woman real and practical support should she choose to carry her pregnancy to term. So I don't think ALL crisis pregnancy centers are harmful, and I wish both sides of the issue could work together to find a common ground where unwanted pregnancies are reduced and pregnant women given support they need to continue a pregnancy. That probably ain't gonna happen though.

But yeah, my advice to the pro-life movement would be: drop all the slogans. They are just making you look shallow and insensitive, even the more kindly phrased ones. And get to doing actual work to support life, in the womb but more importantly AFTER BIRTH.

Archived