IGNORED

rethinking birth control article

higgledypiggledy

religiondispatches.org/archive/sexandgender/4862/rethinking_a_classic_from_the_conservative_contraception_canon

I appreciated the whole article, but I really thought this was good:

. . .Let’s say you have a Big Story of Everything With Implications For How Others Ought To Live. Let’s say, just to make it interesting, that you’re even correct! Maybe not in every last little detail, but in terms of ultimate reality, let’s say that you’ve got it nailed down. Your master worldview actually corresponds to reality better than its rivals. And let’s say, further, that you have basically good motives. You’re not just basically correct, but you’re well-meaning.

Now, let me ask: Do you, even still, form conclusions about how everyone should live based on:

(1) The fact that you believe you’re making yourself into a better, more holy person by living that way? and

(2) The assumption that other people can’t possibly be different enough from you that those differences should ever matter, or really even be worth your attention, as you form your conclusions about how everyone should live?

If so: Don’t. Please, please stop it—yes, even if your Big Story is the right Big Story. For it is, so often, a jerky and entitled thing to do. It is so often naïve and self-serving. It is so very often a function of someone’s being privileged enough to think of themselves and their friends as somehow the standard of humanity, such that others’ “deviations†(their very lives and identities, in other words) are just obstacles to be overcome or insignificant details to be overlooked.

This was a really balanced and thoughtful article. I read the whole thing. For me, a big part of growing up and becoming an adult was realizing that there isn't one right life that is best for every person.

Interesting and thought provoking article. Was a bit taken aback that the author was surprised by an unplanned pregnancy while using NFP as birth control. No birth control plus sexual activity ups your chances of getting pregnant every time.....

Interesting and thought provoking article. Was a bit taken aback that the author was surprised by an unplanned pregnancy while using NFP as birth control. No birth control plus sexual activity ups your chances of getting pregnant every time.....

ITA.

I thought about that and maybe she was surprised b/c NFP was probably presented to her as a pretty reliable method and she was new at it. Avoiding intercourse during fertile days reduces the chance of pregnancy, but there are so many variables that it is crazy to rely on it if one is really not ready for a baby. Sperm can remain viable for days and our bodies don't ovulate like clockwork, plus the temperature chart and mucus check (I think that's what you call it) is open to misinterpretation, especially for a newbie. Relying on NFP to avoid pregnancy is a little bit nuts, IMO.

I read this article, and I saw so much of myself in this woman's journey. I'm just grateful I moved past the anti-birth control/anti-choice stance before I got married.

Archived