IGNORED

NC Parents Don't Have The Right To Prevent Spanking In Schoo

debrand

http://fayobserver.com/articles/2011/05/10/1093160?sac=

A law passed last year allowed the parents of disabled students to opt-out if their local school district used corporal punishment, but the Senate measure would extend that option to all parents, said Tom Vitaglione of Action for Children North Carolina, a child advocacy group.

"Right now, a parent does not have the right to say that you can't hit my child," he said.

When I was a young adult, a family sued a middle school that I attended because the vice principle spanked their daughter hard enough to leave bruises. I think that the case was thrown out. I'm in my forties and can't find that case on line but it was in the local newspapers.

They needed to make a law about not hitting disabled kids?! Like, there was some question about it?

How common is it to actually get "spanked" at school these days? I've never seen myself as the homeschool type, but I'd sure as hell do anything in my power to find an alternative if I thought there was a possibility of an adult hitting my son at school.

I don't like to give out too much information about myself online but this comment caught my attention.

@

Crispy Bacon

I was a freshman at DBJHS during the 78-79 school year. What was the big guy with the beard's name that carried his paddle around sometimes? It was a much more subdued place then, since you knew you might get the licks from him. I didn't get any. I learned my lesson in 5th grade after only 3 licks. No more horse playing out of me. It was a lesson well learned, and it left no permanent scares, physically or mentally. I'm sure my two sons would say the same. Keep corporal punishment.... with witnesses, of course.

I, too, spent time at Douglas Byrd Jr High and I know the man that he is talking about. I HATED him and still do. No, I never went to his office but I saw that he favored some of the more sexual young women. I have a distinct and unpleasant memory of walking through the halls during class time. I had a hall pass and was doing something for a teacher, I think

A girl who was very voluptuous and flirty was talking to the vice-principle. SHe was hanging all over him. Her clothing did not adhere to the standards that the rest of us were supposed to keep. Her butt cheeks peeked out from the end of her shorts. This was long before such styles were common place. I stopped, waiting for the man to tell her to change clothing. When she turned to walk away, he waved another man over and they both leered at her. It was disgusting and has left a troubling memory in my mind all these years. That is the man that the poster is talking about

Sorry for the rant. Reading about that man just angered me.

They needed to make a law about not hitting disabled kids?! Like, there was some question about it?

How common is it to actually get "spanked" at school these days? I've never seen myself as the homeschool type, but I'd sure as hell do anything in my power to find an alternative if I thought there was a possibility of an adult hitting my son at school.

I dont' know. Hopefully, this is not common.

NC is the state that passed the law that women have to be treated like children when it comes to abortion, by the way.

In North Carolina it's really up to the school district to decide whether or not to allow spanking, period. Mine does not and as far as I'm aware not of the school districts surrounding us do. (For reference, I'm up in the very northeastern part of NC, which is possibly the reddest part.)

I'm now in a state university in Wilmington, and from what I hear about everyone else's K-12 schools, spanking has never been mentioned. Either nobody comes from the counties where it is used, it's only used in elementary schools, or I've just been talking to the wrong people.

I found a link about corporal punishment in NC schools:

http://www.ncchild.org/press-release/corporal-punishment-alive-not-well-nc-public-schools-mountain-xpress-blog

It's banned in most districts, allowed but not used in others, and there's not many where it is used. On the other hand, I'm really fucking glad I don't live near Burke County or its school district.

On the link there's a .pdf containing the full report. It's from last year, so here's this little gem:

A 2009 national survey report on corporal punishment issued by the American Civil Liberties Union and

Human Rights Watch indicates that students with disabilities are not only hit, but are hit at a rate twice

that of the general student population. (6) Thus, the students who may least understand why they are

being hit are subject to higher rates of corporal punishment.

How lovely. God bless the Tar Heel State.

It reinforces my hypothesis that corporal punishment is done purely out of anger and frustration. My parents never pretended to be otherwise, I've never seen any other parent pretend to be otherwise, and considering disabled students would be quite a bit more difficult than able students... I'm guessing the teachers/administrators in this case need some anger management classes. Seriously, THERE ARE BETTER WAYS.

Guest Anonymous
In North Carolina it's really up to the school district to decide whether or not to allow spanking, period. Mine does not and as far as I'm aware not of the school districts surrounding us do. (For reference, I'm up in the very northeastern part of NC, which is possibly the reddest part.)

I'm now in a state university in Wilmington, and from what I hear about everyone else's K-12 schools, spanking has never been mentioned. Either nobody comes from the counties where it is used, it's only used in elementary schools, or I've just been talking to the wrong people.

I found a link about corporal punishment in NC schools:

http://www.ncchild.org/press-release/corporal-punishment-alive-not-well-nc-public-schools-mountain-xpress-blog

It's banned in most districts, allowed but not used in others, and there's not many where it is used. On the other hand, I'm really fucking glad I don't live near Burke County or its school district.

On the link there's a .pdf containing the full report. It's from last year, so here's this little gem:

How lovely. God bless the Tar Heel State.

It reinforces my hypothesis that corporal punishment is done purely out of anger and frustration. My parents never pretended to be otherwise, I've never seen any other parent pretend to be otherwise, and considering disabled students would be quite a bit more difficult than able students... I'm guessing the teachers/administrators in this case need some anger management classes. Seriously, THERE ARE BETTER WAYS.

I think, if I showed this thread to friends of mine with kids, the consensus would be unanimous: the bodies would never be found.

Oh wow, look at all the new head-dents on my desk! :roll:

I'm so glad I don't have young children that I'd have to have educated in this state. If I did I'd homeschool. The blatant racism is bad enough, but the tolerance of corporal punishment seals the deal.

I worked in the school system briefly as an aide to two autistic boys. I had to quit because the EC (Exceptional Children) teachers were such mean-spirited women. One of them was hugely jealous that I was so popular with all the boys in her class. She found a way to get me in trouble with my supervisor, so I told her off and quit. I hated to leave my sweet boys in a lurch, but because she was out to get me, it was making things worse for them. I never witnessed her hitting any one, but she did yell at them and (tried to) shame them. You know, cuz that kind of approach works so well with autistic kids. :roll: It wouldn't surprise me if she hit them when there were no witnesses.

Wow, a time when Arkansas is more progressive!

Parents have been able to opt out for over thirty years here, and at least where my mom teaches, corporal punishment is an option, not required. A student is given the choice of a paddling or an alternative punishment.

However, considering that the big trend with boys this year on the high school level boys are hitting each other in the junk for fun, paddling doesn't seem like it's going to be that effective.

Oh wow, look at all the new head-dents on my desk! :roll:

I'm so glad I don't have young children that I'd have to have educated in this state. If I did I'd homeschool. The blatant racism is bad enough, but the tolerance of corporal punishment seals the deal.

I worked in the school system briefly as an aide to two autistic boys. I had to quit because the EC (Exceptional Children) teachers were such mean-spirited women. One of them was hugely jealous that I was so popular with all the boys in her class. She found a way to get me in trouble with my supervisor, so I told her off and quit. I hated to leave my sweet boys in a lurch, but because she was out to get me, it was making things worse for them. I never witnessed her hitting any one, but she did yell at them and (tried to) shame them. You know, cuz that kind of approach works so well with autistic kids. :roll: It wouldn't surprise me if she hit them when there were no witnesses.

NC has awful K-12 schools, and there are psychos in all of them. I was fortunate enough to only have one crazy teacher in elementary school, and zero psycho teachers in high school. The main problem at my high school was the incompetent AND psycho administrators. They'd change rules and not tell anyone until the first day of school, or they'd change them in the middle of the year with no warning. They changed the dress code because they couldn't enforce the original one, suspended kids for the slightest transgressions (yes, SUSPENDED). One year they got rid of after-school detention for some stupid reason, and then started calling out names of people who had gotten office referrals over the morning announcements. I hope whoever thought that was a good idea got fired and blacklisted from ever running a school, public or private. Oh, now they require all students to write out Cornell notes for every. single. class. yeah, wtf. RIS (Restricted Instructional Setting, known to most people as in-school suspension- it actually used to be called that here, but they just HAD TO FUCKING CHANGE IT) now lasts 90 minutes longer than the traditional school day. On top of that, the teachers are horribly overworked, and their treatment by the administrators is fucking APPALLING. A freshman/junior English teacher was forced to teach an AP English class to seniors, for one semester only. I'd had this teacher as a junior, so she was a good teacher, but my senior year she was preparing a move to the Netherlands and at one point got rather ill from the stress. Apparently no other teacher could have taught AP English. Another teacher was fired my senior year because the administrators simply didn't like his methods. I never had this teacher, but my friends who had swore up and down raved about how awesome he was. He definitely got results, because the kids who had failed civics even multiple times with other teachers got placed in his class, and passed. And this guy gets fired? His methods obviously fucking worked! Oh, and they never could call when school would be cancelled during inclement weather. My sister's graduation got postponed at the last fucking minute because the admins were too goddamn stupid to figure out that a whole freaking line of storms was heading straight this way, and had been for at least an hour up to that point. On top of that, they didn't postpone graduation until EVERYONE was already there, and of course most people at my school have a 30-minute or better drive. So, understandably, somebody's mother got angry, and so one of the admins had her arrested. Fucking incompetent, spineless, PRICKS. The previous year, the same administrator had the school's security guys rush into the office because somebody called the principal nasty names while on the phone with his mother. This was after my graduation rehearsal, and he was in trouble for flipping the horrible, horrible bitch of a principal off. How horrible of a bitch is this principal? She insisted my sister was eleventh in her class, and at the graduation ceremony wouldn't let her sit on stage in place of No. 10, who had to work that morning and couldn't take off for their own fucking graduation at the last minute. My sister got her transcript at the end of the ceremony- she was, in fact, number 10.

Remembering all this shit is stressing me out. I don't even go to that high school anymore and it stresses me out. Ugh. It's a damn good thing spanking/paddling isn't allowed in my county's school district, the good ol' boys would go insane with it.

I can't believe that this actually still happens. If you used corporal punishment where I live, you'd be out on your ass that day and in court the next. My inner law geek wonders what would happen if the parents sued the schools for allowing corporal punishment, or if the children themselves sued. Children still have limited rights, at least the types of rights we consider very important and inviolate, even in school environments, such as limited free speech protection; I'm wondering if nowadays if the issue went before the Supreme Court they would find some sort of limited right to bodily integrity and freedom from painful physical punishment for children in a school setting. Hmm... sorry, not really saying anything... just thinking and contemplating.

It is appalling that anyone is being hit. Why can't people see that that's wrong? I don't get it.

Cuz the bible says to beat your children, duh! :roll:

There's actually stories of students being given the choice between a paddling and detention, I think in Mississippi as well as other states that allow corporal punishment. Every single time, the students will choose paddling. Why? because the pain only lasts for a few seconds, and then you're free to go. Detention on the other hand, is an hour or so of boredom.

Paddling in high school is completely stupid anyway. It's utterly pointless. They know that they're breaking the rules. A few seconds of pain won't phase them one bit. And then they're big enough to fight back, and probably win. (though of course if a student so much as talks back at my high school's administrators, they call the cops and suspend the student for as long as they can...)

The problem with spanking is that kids are taught that you're not serious until you hit them, or threaten to do so. And then once they're big enough for spanking not to hurt as much and to fight back, game over. There's no controlling them. The spanking and hitting just escalates until it goes from "last resort" to "hit first, ask questions later." And then it turns into fights. I've seen this with friends who were hit for every little offense.

This is, of course, assuming that there is any moral justification for hitting someone not even half your size.

I think parents have the right to opt out of the corporal punishment and teachers have the right to send the child home if they feel their hands are tied by the parents.

I attend school where some kids were just problem children and it disrupted learning for everyone else. Just as parents have every right to opt out of disciplinary methods, teachers have the right to send the child out to let the parents handle the child in question.

Archived