IGNORED

Fundie/Conservative logic fail

SpeakNow

I've been thinking about this all day. Tons of Fundies, such as Josh Duggar, want to have voters show state ID to make sure that no one votes who shouldn't vote. These same fundies oppose common sense gun control (specially universal background checks). Shouldn't proving that you are who you really say you are (and not a criminal and/or withholding information) be more important when buying a gun than when voting? I just don't even understand the logic (or lack thereof)

They want voter ID, but they also are against nearly every kind of ID card put out by government, schools, etc, fearing the mark of the beast. It is Odd!

Fundies and logic don't belong in the same sentence.

Well yes, but obviously THEY wouldn't need an ID card, because you can see just by looking at them that they should be allowed to vote.

Guest Anonymous
They want voter ID, but they also are against nearly every kind of ID card put out by government, schools, etc, fearing the mark of the beast. It is Odd!

I think there is a racial component to this. I sense undertones of white privilege whenever we come across a fundie family that doesn't believe in having any form of documentation. When I read about fundies who eschew birth certificates, Social Security numbers and passports my first reaction is: "Aren't you worried about being detained?" If I could not provide evidence that I was born in my country, and have a right to citizenship, that would be a constant source of worry for me. For some fundies/conservatives, I think there is a tacit understanding that the right sort of people (*wink*) will never be checked for ID, while other people ("Hey, this guy could be Dominican or something!") will need to jump through hoops to prove that they belong.

Archived