IGNORED

Major Fundie Interaction Today!

clibbyjo

There was a safety fair at Target tonight. A bunch of us went for homeschool portfolio stuff as "fire safety" is required. Anyway, one of my friends is an EMT and works with girls who were homeschooled. The girls can only work while not married(they look young, I would say 18 and 19 maybe) and when they met all our girls and found out they were homeschooled too, they taught them some Virginia old-time dance.(I don't remember the name)

The thing is ,the girls wear long skirts with pants under to work and Mennonite hair coverings but say they are just Christian. I am dying for my friend to find out more, but she says they just say they are very religious Christians.I have not seen this is our area before,I must know more! Here is a pic of the dancing. The one with the boots and blue shirt is mine

http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... nt=031.jpg

I have better pics, but the girls faces are showing and I don't want to post kids without permission.

They might be some sort of subsect of penecostal. I've seen kapps similar to that on older penecostal women in Southern Arkansas.

Oh, it looks like they're dancing the Virginia reel!

I went to UVA and we had to learn it because every formal dance there closed with a reel.

Oh, it looks like they're dancing the Virginia reel!

I went to UVA and we had to learn it because every formal dance there closed with a reel.

Does anyone know if it based/taken from an English country dance?

We learned the Virginia Reel when I was in grade school along with German dances like the schottische and polka. I loved doing reels. During the winter it was such fun to actually listen to music and dance in the gym. Mind you this is 50 years ago.

I wish my kids would have had that opportunity.

Does anyone know if it based/taken from an English country dance?

I think so, as the whole "country-dance" developed from an old European dance form, contredanse/Contredance, characterized through the fact that two or more people dance not, in modern sense, with each other, but opposite of each other, and the Virgina reel is considered to be a rather old one. It might be a bit more Scottish than English, but as I am in the unfortunate habit of substituting Great Britain with England, I shouldn't talk! :D

How lovely to see young girls from two different cultures enjoying interacting with each other - highlights their overall similarities rather than their differences.

Hmmm. Interesting, because they are also wearing the Amish/Mennonite black shoes. I've noticed that around this area though, Clibby, that every once in a while, some group will pop up that totally looks Anabaptist but isn't affiliated with them whatsoever. This is such a weird state...

Yeah, on second inspection, I might be wrong and they may just be black work boots. When I was just glancing through, they definitely looked like Pennsylvania Amish footwear, but now I think you're probably right Cran.

I think so, as the whole "country-dance" developed from an old European dance form, contredanse/Contredance, characterized through the fact that two or more people dance not, in modern sense, with each other, but opposite of each other, and the Virgina reel is considered to be a rather old one. It might be a bit more Scottish than English, but as I am in the unfortunate habit of substituting Great Britain with England, I shouldn't talk! :D

Yeah, they just looked markedly similar so I had to ask. I looked it up and there seemed to be some feeling it was English, some feeling it was Scottish, and some feeling it was Irish or influenced by an Irish dance. I couldn't really find a consensus so I slapped "English" on the thing. Sorry.

Thanks for filling my fundie gawking for the day :-) Hope you don't mind, but I peeked through all of the pics, and I'm LMAO at the dog picture at the end.

Thanks for filling my fundie gawking for the day :-) Hope you don't mind, but I peeked through all of the pics, and I'm LMAO at the dog picture at the end.

They are my public pics.,I don't mind. That last pic is my HELL dog and its used to be my avitar. He is trouble.

I've danced the Virginia Reel at Ceilidhs here in Scotland...but I don't know if it is actually originally British or if it was maybe some new dance from the early colonies or something based on the mix of dances they brought over. I love reels!

(OT, but I wish my parents had put me in English and/or German folk dancing lessons as a child. I feel like I'm missing so much of my heritage!)

Ditto on the nail polish! Blue/Green and all in between are my favourite colours!

Hot damn clibbyjo, that shade of nail polish you have in one of the pictures is gorgeous, what brand/name is it?

The nail polish is Sinful Colors Professional, color is called Gorgeous #804. I am sure it was less than $5 and I got it on sale a Target where I buy most of our polish.

(OT, but I wish my parents had put me in English and/or German folk dancing lessons as a child. I feel like I'm missing so much of my heritage!)

Console yourself, you're pretty much part of the mainstream German culture with this - only children in very traditional family in particular conservative parts in Germany will learn folk dances these days. I do not even know what traditional dance from Rhineland-Palatine would look like, and if it bit me in my derriere.

Archived