IGNORED

Fundies to mainstreamers: Ur doin it rong

lilah

This whole blog is devoted to telling mainstream churches how they are worshiping in the wrong ways. It's probably run by a fundie, or at least someone with a gigantic superiority complex

alittleleaven.com/

Wow, nothing pleases this person/people, does it? Who runs that site, does anyone know?

Although I will admit the post card that advertised sermons about sex on one side, and an Easter egg hunt for the kiddies on the other was a little strange.

This is one of those things where I'm like: "WTF? Why do you care?" It doesn't affect the relationship between her and God, or even her church and God. So... why? Just. Why?

Normally, "mainstream" refers to the established denominations that have become more liberalized and less Bible-based. Those that embraced the "historical critical method" of Biblical interpretation, rationalism, etc.

The churches that this blogger critiques have gone in another direction entirely: They are basing themselves entirely on shenanigans behaviors and programs that they see as relevant, hip, entertaining and having "a wow factor."

There's a difference between fundamentalists and extremists / dominionists and I saw an excellent article on that subjec that I'll try to repost here, sometime.

In brief, the original meaning of "fundamentalist" had to do with Christians who wanted to continue to base their religion on what was in the Bible (the "fundamentals") and not the fads and philosophies that grew up outside of traditional Bible teachings.

I am a religious Christian, and quite honestly, most of the things the blogger criticized were deserving of criticism.

Guest Anonymous

I agree that this person isn't necessarily a crazy fundie...I'm from a liberal Southern Baptist church and most of those things were too much for me.

I love the Flash Eucharist that the Museum of Idolatry complained about:

I don't see anything sacriligious about it at all. In fact, I think it's beautiful. Btw, the video could use a lot more "likes" if you're registered on youtube and some positive comments, too.

Guest Anonymous

Some of the things on that site, I did find disgusting. The preacher with a private jet who was demanding his congregants' bank accounts and routing numbers? And talking about how God won't bless people who don't give him money? Dude. No. That grossed me out.

This, on the other hand, I found sweet and I fail to see what the big freaking deal is. Some people might have a problem with dancing in church, but I don't. These people are married, (some for 40 years) in love, and clearly thanking God for one another. Bonus points in the comments for someone saying women need to shut up in church, though!

JiFVCKSKynQ

Even worse than the obviously inappropriate, human-centered dance, is all the womens' voices I hear cat calling in the background; makes me understand why Paul said women should be silent in the assembly. Boy, was he right.

Well, bless their heart!

Some of the things on that site, I did find disgusting. The preacher with a private jet who was demanding his congregants' bank accounts and routing numbers? And talking about how God won't bless people who don't give him money? Dude. No. That grossed me out.

This, on the other hand, I found sweet and I fail to see what the big freaking deal is. Some people might have a problem with dancing in church, but I don't. These people are married, (some for 40 years) in love, and clearly thanking God for one another. Bonus points in the comments for someone saying women need to shut up in church, though!

JiFVCKSKynQ

Well, bless their heart!

Cat calls? All I heard was cheering. I agree, this was very sweet. Black churches have traditionally understood "making a joyful noise" much more than white churches. That's what I see here.

OMG that video is adorable. And usually dislike both schmaltz and church. ;p

ETA: Since I'm neither a Christian nor a believer of any stripe, I can't comment on the criticisms, but what grates about that site is the extremely condescending tone. Putting "pastor", "clergy", etc. in scare quotes is the prime example.

Former Christian... yeah, a lot of that stuff is stupid and clearly failed attempts at attention. The Safesex thing though wasn't so bad, though yeah, it's a bit awkward that it was next to the announcement for the kids' Easter egg hunt.

I'm wondering what his standard of "worthiness" is for the Eucharist, though. Sounds like he's just complaining about these young whippersnappers and their flash mobs.

Guest Anonymous

Okay, maybe I've been thinking about this way too much. The website's author scorns the daylights out of churches that they refer to as "relevance chasers." Do they not realize that Christianity has a long and time honored history of chasing relevance? Pretty much all Christian holy days were piggy backed onto existing Pagan celebrations. Think about Christmas trees and Easter eggs, for goodness' sake!

As for the music, it isn't as if Handel wrote his "Messiah" while Jay-Z was down the corner recording "99 Problems." I love Handel, and Beethoven, and classical music. But there's nothing that makes a violin inherently more holy than a synthesizer. The website's author seems to think that contemporary music is flat out bad and has no place in a church because of the way it sounds. That's ridiculous. You might not like Christian rap, (I abhor most contemporary Christian music) but that doesn't make it sacrilegious. Traditional hymns were written in a style that was contemporary when they were written. I don't see the fundamental difference between that and Christian scream-o metal.

I think the author has fallen into the trap of "If I don't like it, it's evil."

**The grifters and hucksters and money changers in the temple that are featured absolutely deserve scorn. Some of the other stuff, while it isn't to my taste, I'm not so sure that it's the boogeyman it's being made out to be. And some of it I really don't see the problem with it at all. If one doesn't like it, there are plenty of other churches around to attend.

***Edited to correct a riffle.

Archived