IGNORED

Fisheaters on rape and abortion

Deleted10

Those folks are crazy!!! I stay away from them and from Catholic Forum Answers. Talk about brainwashed fundies!

Holy shit. THat's horrifying. I mean, that's really horrifying. "If a woman has REALLY been raped, she'll be crying."

How the hell would you know if the woman has "really" been raped? Were you THERE?

What a bunch of misogynistic douchebags. It terrifies me that people actually think this way. Women are, apparently, just incubators on legs.

That sucky person is quoting from the sucky anti-abortion demonstrator--oh, scuse me, she calls herself a sidewalk counselor--Karen Black, who says

And it's been proven, statistically, that if a woman gives life and keeps the child that has been conceived through rape, that she heals from the rape experience much much better and quicker.

ORLY? I would like to see some of these proven studies that statistically prove this speedy healing process. Please...link me up.

As far as the, uh, kidnapping plot, I just see one poster, Servire Deo, who thinks this is a reasonable course of action. The other posters are smacking him down, with varying levels of civility. I particularly like the one who said:

I have decided it's a sin to let Servire Deo post such nonsense all the time.

Would it be a sin for me to kidnap him to ensure he is never able to log online again?

There's something wrong in the head of someone who thinks kidnapping is justified. I don't care what their motivation is.

He probably got the idea from that fundie horror movie we discussed a while ago. I can't remember the name...

It sickens me to see the utter insensitivity on that discussion, particularly because I went to Catholic school for 12 years and was fed much of the bullshit the posters are spouting. Nobody likes abortion, but who are they to dictate what a woman should do after becoming pregnant from a rape?They have no right to take her choices away and guilt her into keeping a child she had no control over conceiving. Makes me wonder if they'd be singing a different tune if they were in the same situation.

They care more about the fetus than they do the woman who is living the through this. It's absolutely disgusting, especially the poster who comments that only 1 out of 100,000 women die from childbirth now and days so there's no excuse to get an abortion if the mother's life is in jeopardy. I'd really like to see all these stats they're giving. Until then, I call bullshit.

He probably got the idea from that fundie horror movie we discussed a while ago. I can't remember the name...

Red State by Kevin Smith?

They care more about the fetus than they do the woman who is living the through this. It's absolutely disgusting, especially the poster who comments that only 1 out of 100,000 women die from childbirth now and days so there's no excuse to get an abortion if the mother's life is in jeopardy. I'd really like to see all these stats they're giving. Until then, I call bullshit.

We know what the grim calculus of the official Catholic church is when it comes to abortion. It's never justified. Ever. Not even when the pregnant woman is going to die and her fetus with her. There was an incident in Phoenix a couple of years ago where a sister approved an abortion for a woman who was eleven weeks pregnant and had pulmonary hypertension. She was already hospitalized. She was going to die and her fetus with her. The sister approved the abortion. The abortion occurred, and when the bishop found out, he came stark staring unglued. He excommunicated the sister and he later stripped St. Joseph's of its "Catholic" status.

That, to me, says volumes. Women are simply not important in this calculus except as incubators. If we fail at that, if we can no longer pump out babies, then we might as well die. It doesn't matter if the pregnancy isn't viable, it doesn't matter that the woman in question had four other children at home, none of that matters. It's just that as a woman, your life doesn't mean jack if you're Catholic, you get pregnant and you AND your fetus are not going to live long enough to give birth. You might as well just die.

I remember telling a very conservative coworker that St. Joseph's had been deprived of its Catholic designation and his face just went black--not because he thought it was right, but because he thought it was so terribly wrong.

I didn't ask to be born a woman, and, frankly, I don't think my life should be trumped by a fetus. But that's not what the official Catholic church thinks and they will MAKE YOU SUFFER if you cross them on this one.

Red State by Kevin Smith?

I just saw the trailer for that and it looks awesome.

But, no, I remember some fundie made a movie where a man and woman kidnapped three pregnant girls who wanted abortions and made them live out their pregnancy in a medical facility. Some of the girls repented and it ended up being some sort of personal hell...or something.

ETA: I just googled "christians kidnap to prevent abortion" in a failed attempt to find the trailer :shock: I really hope no one has to look up my web searches. :lol:

And is that guy advocating kidnapping? Is he for real? He even said he supports Scott Roeder, who shot Dr Tiller. Ugh. At least he's getting no support from the other posters.

Fish Eaters, and the traditional Catholic part of Catholic Answers, is, in my opinion, eeeeeeeeeeeebbbbbbbbil, to channel my inner lolcat. They pride themselves so much on being Catholic, following the magisterium and NOT doing that what they accuse fundies of other denominations of: Inventing their own religion by interpreting bible verses, but they do, even worse, they do not only give the worst possible spin to bible verses, but to each and every quote they can find by a church father, pope or saint, and treating them as God's law, too. And they glorify the past, epecially the 50's, like every good fundie does.

This species of Catholicism is, in my experience, also very unique to the US, I call it "Puritan Catholicism" because it has a fundie-protestant air to it.

Abortion and rape is such a sensitive topic, and it hurts to see it with such insensitivity. THAT is the problem of those people, not that they value life so much, but that they lack empathy. Even withhin the boundaries of Catholic dogma, there is far more room to treat women who suffered this terrible fate with compassion, love and understanding.

The same goes for incest and all the other "reasons" a person gives for abortion.

It is NEVER ok. Even if the mother has a 99% chance of dying from birth. Never right.

And I think that the current figures are only 1 in a hundred thouasnd women die in child birth anyhow. So thats bullcrap anytime someone says "well what about the health of the mother?"

How about her spiritual health? Does she want to stand before God as someone who has committed infanticide? I don't think so.

Wow. They would let the mother die rather than get an abortion. :shock:

It is a grace to see a difference between the act and the result of the act. A child is not an evil result, but indeed a blessing. As Fulton Sheen said, the woman who is raped bears the sin of one man, what would it be like to bear the sins of all men.

What? I don't understand this quote. What sin does the victim bear? She did nothing wrong.

Is the poster trying to say that because Christ bore the sins of all men, the woman should just accept her pregnancy? My response would be, I'm not a god/man.

And this is why fundie Catholics scare me more than even Vision Forum does. There are a lot more Catholics in the US than there are VFers, and people seem way more hesitant to call out the fundie Catholics than they do the fundamentalist Protestants.

Guest Anonymous

What? I don't understand this quote. What sin does the victim bear? She did nothing wrong.

Is the poster trying to say that because Christ bore the sins of all men, the woman should just accept her pregnancy? My response would be, I'm not a god/man.

And my reply to them would be "Who the hell asked you?!".

Well, I'm glad to know that they'd rather see me dead. My child would have died as well, but I'm sure he/ she has a special place in heaven anyway. I was an atheist at the time, so I'd be very much buring in their hell. That's comforting and very Christian of them.

I'm glad these people make their beliefs known, so I can avoid them.

And my reply to them would be "Who the hell asked you?!".

:clap: Your answer was far better than mine. Even from a Christian viewpoint, I've never heard that rape victims bear the sin of their rapist.

Apopos Movies: I just finished rewatching The Scarlett Letter with Demi Morre and Gary Oldman.

Nothing new under the sun, apparently!

I'm sorry you went through that, Childless.

This is my understanding re: ectopic pregnancy. You're supposed to (according to the church) remove the fallopian tube, which indirectly causes the end of the pregnancy. Direct abortion is still a no-no even in the case of an ectopic pregnancy.

I definitely argued with my RCIA teachers about this.

I think you're right about the Christ connection. As far as the woman bearing the sins of the man, maybe they mean that in a more literal sense? As in, by bearing the child she's bearing his sins. It's jacked up, either way :roll:

Women are simply not important in this calculus except as incubators. If we fail at that, if we can no longer pump out babies, then we might as well die. It doesn't matter if the pregnancy isn't viable, it doesn't matter that the woman in question had four other children at home, none of that matters.

This is one of the things that I find most worrying about the anti-choice crowd. The more reasonable of them will at least pay lip service to the fact that they will accept abortion in the cases of rape or danger to the mother's life, but I'm sure plenty of those who say it don't actually believe it. And behind a front of reasonableness they have people like these, who have a fundamental view that a woman's life doesn't really matter. From their perspective, a woman's purpose is to bear children and to suffer while doing it (thanks, Eve!), so faith in god should be enough to get them through a dangerous pregnancy.

It's absolutely disgusting, especially the poster who comments that only 1 out of 100,000 women die from childbirth now and days so there's no excuse to get an abortion if the mother's life is in jeopardy. I'd really like to see all these stats they're giving.

Um, yeah, I had to roll my eyes big time at that one. Even if it's remotely true in any way, did she ever consider that maybe fewer women die because they had abortions before childbirth could kill them?

ETA: Not that I think she would care, but according to the WHO's 2005 report, the maternal death rate is over 10 times that much in the US...

this is odd to tell cuz i haven't been here long and i know that it may seem like i'm trying to get attention but i'm simply sharing my experience. i was in an abusive relationship - emotionally, physically, sexually - when i was a teenager. at one point i got preggers, and although the baby was a product of rape, i wanted her. (i just called it she, i didn't know for sure) and it wasn't out of some sense that my religion prohibited abortion i can't really explain it but i wanted her.

Archived