IGNORED

Michaela Bates

Cone

Can someone explain the Michaela Bates name changing? I've saw her name spelled so many different ways and comments about how she has changed it but I have no clue why.

Also I'd like to request a fundie summary for the Arndts...

Can someone explain the Michaela Bates name changing? I've saw her name spelled so many different ways and comments about how she has changed it but I have no clue why.

Also I'd like to request a fundie summary for the Arndts...

Here's the thread about Michal/Michael/Michaela/Michaella Bates. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11601&hilit=michal+bates

Basically her parents gave her a biblical name (Michal) at birth, not realizing that the character wasn't a good role model. They were able to change the spelling but not the name itself for free (completely changing the name would require a lawyer and court costs), so she became Michael. But people were confused because she had a traditionally male name so they gave her the nickname Michaella/Michaela but without a standardized spelling.

Wow, that's a sad thing to do to a kid. With Michal, at least she wouldn't be automatically assumed to be a generic boy.

And what's with the Duggars naming some children the same as the Bates? Is it up-staging, adoration, or?

And what's with the Duggars naming some children the same as the Bates? Is it up-staging, adoration, or?

It might just be that the Duggars aren't very creative and are running low on J names.

Thank you! The search function isn't very nice when I try to use it. I always get the error that says the word is too common.

Our search is....craptastic. It's high on my list of improvements to make.

• 2 weeks later...

It might just be that the Duggars aren't very creative and are running low on J names.

The Bates and the Duggars are also suspected to not have been particularly close before TLC stepped in, which would explain the Jacksons, though not the Josies.

But I was wondering isn't contradictory for the Bates to call their daughter "Michael" (= boy's name) and then to say "we must wear skirts and long hairs so that everybody know that we are true female" ?

And about the J doubles, didn't the Bates also call one of their fetuses Jubilee?

But I was wondering isn't contradictory for the Bates to call their daughter "Michael" (= boy's name) and then to say "we must wear skirts and long hairs so that everybody know that we are true female" ?

And about the J doubles, didn't the Bates also call one of their fetuses Jubilee?

Yup. They names they used were Zion, Jewels, Jubilee and most recently Sunny. The were named after hymns.

And this is why we snark :D

Kind of off topic, but they seem to have shown signs of running out of names long ago. Jinger is probably the best example of that- it's almost as if they forgot about all the other possible girl names and then found some more rather than having to make more crap up.

Yup. They names they used were Zion, Jewels, Jubilee and most recently Sunny. The were named after hymns.

Heh, I misread "hymns" as "hymens" at first and was greatly confused.

• 1 month later...

FWIW, the baby name book I have lists Michael as being "extremely popular" for boys and "less popular" for girls. That said, it IS a name that's generally assumed to be male, so it seems to be going against the spirit if not the letter of the gendered distinctions that are so important to fundies.

• 1 year later...

Kind of off topic, but they seem to have shown signs of running out of names long ago. Jinger is probably the best example of that- it's almost as if they forgot about all the other possible girl names and then found some more rather than having to make more crap up.

I figured they thought they should use their cute ideas early on since there was no way God would give them many more kids. That would make birth control see like it was to preserve a woman's health rather than for murdering babies. Now they just let which ever kids answers the phone pic a J name to get it done. The younger boys just pick one they heard recently.

The Bates and the Duggars are also suspected to not have been particularly close before TLC stepped in, which would explain the Jacksons, though not the Josies.

I could swear the first time the Bates family appeared on the Duggars' TV show, Michelle or Jim Bob said something to the effect that they met this family long ago and hadn't seen them in several years. Then both families started pointing out the children/babies born since the two families had seen each other. Soon after that, Michelle described the Bates family as very close friends.

Archived