IGNORED

Fall From Grace

bekkah

Has anyone else seen this documentary on Westbro? I made it through the whole thing and I was disgusted within the first minute. ugh...I need some brain bleach!

Has anyone else seen this documentary on Westbro? I made it through the whole thing and I was disgusted within the first minute. ugh...I need some brain bleach!

I watched it on Netflix. I think the most disturbing thing about it was the kids, and the kind of language they so easily used. It really broke my heart.

Don't know if it was the same one, but the documentary I did see on them was horrifyingly fascinating.

What was interesting to me is that Phelps departs from even the most hyper-Calvinistic folks I've ever heard.

The saddest thing was the grown granddaughter of Phelps, who is a follower. The guy interviewing her asked how her grandpa would feel if she got hit by a car and died and she said something along the lines of "He'd probably figure I'm in hell, and he'd be happy about that." She pretty much considered herself doomed to Hell, and still followed him. Actually, I'm not sure exactly who gets into heaven, according to WBC.

Are the Phelps family Hyper or Uber-Calvinistic :?: I don't know any other Hyper-Calvinist people in the media or elsewhere.

Don't know if it was the same one, but the documentary I did see on them was horrifyingly fascinating.

What was interesting to me is that Phelps departs from even the most hyper-Calvinistic folks I've ever heard.

The saddest thing was the grown granddaughter of Phelps, who is a follower. The guy interviewing her asked how her grandpa would feel if she got hit by a car and died and she said something along the lines of "He'd probably figure I'm in hell, and he'd be happy about that." She pretty much considered herself doomed to Hell, and still followed him. Actually, I'm not sure exactly who gets into heaven, according to WBC.

And Shirley Phelps-Roper says similar things in the first documentary (the first Louis Theroux one) - if something bad happened to her kids, she'd rejoice because it would be from God, same if something happened to one of them (one of the adults I mean). Except when someone left an IED bomb on their property, it was an attack from America and God hates America not 'praise God for bombing us', and when the same bombs kill American troops in Iraq, they don't say 'Iraq's attacking us', they say 'praise God for bombing them' (and also claim it's ironic payback because the same sort of bomb was used against them.) Later in the same documentary someone throws a cup of soft drink from a car at one of Shirley Phelps-Roper's kids, and she's furious. Not 'praise God, my son must be a shitty human being who's going to hell!' And while throwing a cup at a kid is a shitty thing to do, it can't cause that much damage, and it's not (imo) worse than their hideous signs and verbal abuse. I was annoyed that no-one in the film crew said 'Was that punishment from God?' I know she would have just screamed at them and not realised her stupidity, but I wish it had been pointed out.

Edited for clarity.

I saw it. I also watched Louis Theroux's specials on them and Kevin Allen. I don't know how I managed it. Fun fact: Shirley's one son is illegitimate. I'm not putting down people who are. It's just an arbitrary social convention, but it is enjoyable when crazy conservatives have done something they would deem horrible all the while berating others .

I just finished watching the Louis Theroux doco. Ugghh. The high point was finding this link in the related videos bit

kF5mfG0vO8o

"God has brought us together!!"

Archived