Guest RitaMeterMaid

Guest Anonymous

I haven't seen any mention of the Shupe family on FJ yet: largefamiliesonpurpose.com

Their beliefs seem like fairly "standard" QF beliefs. They're VF fans, Duggar fans, Maxwell fans, etc. They also believe the confusing "trust god with your fertility, but if that doesn't give you kids, try IVF" (that's a paraphrase, not a direct quote).

They share way too much personal info like their childrens' names, family name, location, home floor plans, etc.) Not so good for protecting your family's privacy, but totally fascinating for nosy types like me who try to imagine what life in a QF home might be like. They don't shelve their kids at night, but it doesn't seem too far off: largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2011/04/organizing-home-more-tips-for.html (note the kids' rooms, keeping in mind that there's 3 girls in the girls BR now, with the two youngest twins who will likely join the girls as soon as the master bedroom closet is needed for the next baby/babies).

Based on the blog, I will say that the family is exceedingly organized, ahrd-working, and appears to be doing well (although, as with most QF families, I wonder about the quality of the homeschooling). But as always, I'm finding it sad that the couple feels the need to have endless babies to prove their faith in god. Aren't there other ways of demonstrating one's trust in god?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know we discussed them on the old board. I find them especially obnoxious for some reason. I think it's because of the reasons I dislike many of these parents, and then that combines with their particular brand of snobbery and condescension. For instance, their most recent post has an excellent example:

I would encourage everyone to read the Q&A posts even if you did not post a questions to me yourself, because it will help deepen your own understanding, and it may help you have an answer ready for when others ask you these same types of questions about your faith.

Gag. I mean, really? Couldn't you just vomit?

I agree their qf lifestyles is annoying... but honestly, they are so organized! I've read their blog for the last few months.. and by following what they put out, my house is rather organized! Funny you bring this here as my partner and I are doing a huge overhaul and reorg this weekend and I was at their site getting a few cheap tips. I don't pay much attention to anything but the organization posts, I'll be honest, but if you need organization, this is a good blog to look at!

They are organized but it seems like this house is definetly shortsighted for any more kids... Where are they going to put them seriously?

I admit, for every spelling mistake I'm finding, the less I can actually get through her writing. This may make me a terrible person, but I mean, can't she download firefox and use the spell check? If there is a squiggly red line...

But even beyond that, she is really irking me for some reason. And I really don't think there's enough space in that house once her 9 kids are a little older, never mind any potential future children....

Same story, different players. God has taken care of them and made them realize they don't need all the evils of the world or to be materialistic and he will take care of the kids they conceive over and over and over.

If that isn't enough, her intro to fundie land was apparently the Maxwells. Anyone who sees them as people to learn from or emulate isn't worth my time.

Same story, different players. God has taken care of them and made them realize they don't need all the evils of the world or to be materialistic and he will take care of the kids they conceive over and over and over.

If that isn't enough, her intro to fundie land was apparently the Maxwells. Anyone who sees them as people to learn from or emulate isn't worth my time.

I'm editing this, it's quoted below so you can see what it said but I made a stupid statement. Yup :oops:

Yes I remember they were brought up. Their house is abnormally neat for any house with kids let alone one with nine.

Are you serious? So because they have philosophies you don't agree with they have nothing for anyone to learn from? You can learn from everyone. How ignorant.

No, that is not what I said. I said they are not worth my time. Totally different than saying they have nothing anyone can learn from.

And it is the Maxwells I refer to as people not worth learning from. Just like many others here who use them for snark and nothing more.

Take a breath.

Are you serious? So because they have philosophies you don't agree with they have nothing for anyone to learn from? You can learn from everyone. How ignorant.

I agree with fundiefan. If someone thinks following the Maxwells is a good idea, they've shown extremely poor judgment. They may have something worthwhile to teach, just as (hypothetically) even people like those in the WBC might have something worthwhile to teach, but it's not worth it to try wading through the crap to find it.

Although, on a completely different note, I would be curious (having not read anything on their blog) to see what their response would be if you commented and told them that you and your partner benefited from their organization tips. QF does not automatically equal homophobic, so I'd be interested to see how they would respond to their blog being of help to a gay couple wanting to adopt a child in the near future.

No, that is not what I said. I said they are not worth my time. Totally different than saying they have nothing anyone can learn from.

And it is the Maxwells I refer to as people not worth learning from. Just like many others here who use them for snark and nothing more.

Take a breath.

I apologize. I misread your quote. I thought you were saying that people who found this particular site helpful at times weren't worth your time. I'm a little on edge today, sorry.

I agree with fundiefan. If someone thinks following the Maxwells is a good idea, they've shown extremely poor judgment. They may have something worthwhile to teach, just as (hypothetically) even people like those in the WBC might have something worthwhile to teach, but it's not worth it to try wading through the crap to find it.

Although, on a completely different note, I would be curious (having not read anything on their blog) to see what their response would be if you commented and told them that you and your partner benefited from their organization tips. QF does not automatically equal homophobic, so I'd be interested to see how they would respond to their blog being of help to a gay couple wanting to adopt a child in the near future.

Yeah, I apologize for my ramble. It wasn't helpful and I totally misunderstood what she was saying.

As for the different note... meh I'm slightly curious, but dealing with homophobia every day, I really don't care. You don't want "teh gayz" reading and gleaning information from your site... don't have a site. We do know how to use the internet (just one more way we are pushing our agenda!).

Okay, just have to say this first: The picture of the twin little girls is the best picture ever. Such shocked, adorable, solemn babies.

Jesus Allah Crap! Someone needs to e-mail this family and tell them to get that floor plan down now because if one Google's their name, the fourth link shows their home address. Since they posted their actual floor plan along with pictures of each room, they are courting some serious danger. I know they are not particularly worldly people - perhaps it has not occurred to them that they have what is essentially a home-invasion graved invitation just sitting online. Or maybe the Washington version of Elizabeth Smart in the making.

But I bet if we did contact them they would think we are just degenerates with dirty minds, or something similar. Just us heathens, looking for the worst in people...

Does anyone else find it annoying that she inserts *smile* into every other sentence? Lest we think for a moment she isn't keeping sweet and smiling.

Does anyone else find it annoying that she inserts *smile* into every other sentence? Lest we think for a moment she isn't keeping sweet and smiling.

Yes! I wanted to slap the *smile* right out of her even before I realized her Maxwell love.

Yes!!

Wow. She's so amazingly organized, especially with all of those children. I may just use some of her wisdom in this, to declutter my own house. I'm going on a redecorating spree after Ukraine and some of this is going to be really helpful. QF or not, she really has a heck of a gift here. If the fundiedom didn't frown on women working, she could easily open up her own business and probably be really successful.

Something I've noticed through all of the "house tours" on fundie blogs is how their homes are either littered with little pieces of things on the walls, or the house is completely stark. There's nothing in between. Either the walls are totally bare or there's computer printouts of all kinds of crap taped everywhere. What's wrong with some artwork or family photos on the walls? It's really easy to find a nice painting of Christ. Just put something there.

I also wonder where they'd put another child, as the house is so full, they keep most of their clothes in the garage. I hope they either buy a larger house or do an addition, because I don't think I could take seeing any more photos of children stacked in closets or on industrial shelves.

Another one with kids sleeping in closets. If I had to have kids in closets because I ran out of rooms for them, I'd be thinking about adding on rather than organizing. She spends a lot of time worrying about smells too.

Deleting, since I can't seem to express myself clearly. :(

I had problems accessing it at first, but googling "large families on purpose" gave me a link I could use.

They are very well-organized, and the house is fairly modern and nice-looking as well.

If they really do have several more children, they will probably have to remodel that garage into usable space and just cut out a bunch of the "stuff" that they have. I know it must be helpful to have a designated playroom/schoolroom, but I hope they are willing to use the 4th bedroom for some of the kids before sticking more than 5 kids in a single bedroom. It also makes you wonder what will happen to their plan to put the twins in bunkbeds in the girls' room if god "blesses" them again before the twins are 2. They don't really seem like the sort who will need to resort to shelves. So far they haven't "kicked the crib habit", and have 4 real cribs in the house, which is a plus.

I notice they also list the Jeubs' books on their reading list :? I think they could give the Jeubs some tips. They do seem like a more together and responsible sort of family, but then their recommended books contain all the usual suspects...

It's so sad that she doesn't give herself credit for having an original idea. Instead, the Lord gave her the idea to do...whatever. No, honey, you had the idea. You've got a working brain and that's where the ideas are coming from. *smile*

I wonder why she doesn't have long hair? Isn't that de rigeur (pardon my French) in these circles?

Archived