IGNORED

Would you use the mythical Lilith as a symbol for Feminism?

finleeport

If you actually read the mythology, there was a quarrel between Adam and his wife Lilith (before Eve) about a sleeping position. Adam wanted to sleep on the top but Lilith insisted that she should sleep on top. This infuriated Adam and complained to God but Lilith just invoked his name and left into the desert.

Lilith is a strong, independent woman that refused to submit to man, unlike Eve, and men have slandered her as a demoness and used her story as a warning to all women not to disobey their husband/father.

I looked this up when reading about the Lilith Fair, not to mention I have been looking into history and literature and noticed all feminine rebels; witches, nymphs, enchantresses etc. are really rebels of the patriarchal authority and that they were really goddesses of women, fertility and children. Men just demonized and distorted their stories and made them demons. :?:

I thought it was a sex position? Eh, I make everything perverted :) I like the stories and, yeah, I think she is an Old School Feminist.

I thought it was a sex position? Eh, I make everything perverted :) I like the stories and, yeah, I think she is an Old School Feminist.

I did a bunch of research on her in high school and you are correct- the story is typically talking about Adam being on top sexually.

She was also blamed, in the ancient world, for deaths that would be called SIDS today. IIRC, the legend goes that, after leaving Eden, she mated with demons and had a bunch of demon offspring. God called up three angels that killed 100 of her children everyday as punishment for her leaving Eden and, in return, she threatened to kill 100 human child each day in response. However, being that she was a mother, she had mercy and would not kill any children protected with an amulet inscribed with the names of the three angels.

Sleep and Sex can be synonymous, but my point is would you use Lilith as a symbol for Feminism? or do you think she is really a demon even before the bible mentions her?

she was mentioned in the ancient Sumerian mythology

I wouldn't because there are many real life examples that are far more suiting.

I know she's not a real person but couldn't we say she was the first Ancient Feminist?

I know she's not a real person but couldn't we say she was the first Ancient Feminist?

Except she's not real, and it could be argued that using a Judeo-Christian mythological figure isn't exactly empowering to those in minority faiths.

Except she's not real, and it could be argued that using a Judeo-Christian mythological figure isn't exactly empowering to those in minority faiths.

She's not just from Judeo-Christian mythology, she's also Sumerian. She's far older than the bible, they might have just added her in their stories later on. And even if she's not real, her story sounds real and is used from magazines to the Lilith Fair.

She's not just from Judeo-Christian mythology, she's also Sumerian. She's far older than the bible, they might have just added her in their stories later on. And even if she's not real, her story sounds real and is used from magazines to the Lilith Fair.

Either way, there are REAL life, historical feminists who are exceptional heroes that are far more appropriate for "heroines" than mythological figures. Calling Lilith the "first feminist" implies accepting Biblical creationism and literal interpretations of scriptures.

Oops, my bad :oops: I must have forgotten, I can forget things you know. a lot lately. sorry. :oops:

Sorry, but considering the troll problems we get around here, this sort of thing raises a red flag.

Finleeport, I'm assuming this is for another one of your stories? If you feel so strongly that she's a symbol for feminism, then write her as such.

Archived