IGNORED

Candace Cameron Bure on the Pearls

thoughtful

Candace Cameron Bure (sister of Kirk Cameron) on the Pearls, radio interview from 2006:

Starting at about 8:30:

She's our strong-willed child. She's given me quite a few gray hairs and I listen to Dr. Dobson a lot. Do as much reading as I can.

I take a lot of advice from the Pearls – I don't know if you've heard of them -- Debi and Michael Pearl. They're incredible.

http://www.drewmarshall.ca/audio/060204candcambure.m3u

It blows my mind that relatively mainstream fundies still see the Pearls as suitable to publicly promote, even after the media exposure and actual DEATHS.

I remember watching this thing on child-stars grown up and she seems to be like her brother ( though I don't think she has said anything about gays, though ) when it comes to Christianity and such.

When I watched another thing on child-stars, there was a thing on Kirk Cameron. It showed that he was a strong believer, but I didn't know about the whole thing he said about gays until I came here. When Candance mentioned with passion that she loves spreading The Word, I was not surprised considering she's the brother of Kirk.

I remember both siblings on their respective TV shows back in the 80's and now I wonder what the heck happened to these people?! We hear of child stars going bad through drugs, alcohol and promiscuity, but I guess one more danger is fundamentalism.

I remember watching this thing on child-stars grown up and she seems to be like her brother ( though I don't think she has said anything about gays, though ) when it comes to Christianity and such.

When I watched another thing on child-stars, there was a thing on Kirk Cameron. It showed that he was a strong believer, but I didn't know about the whole thing he said about gays until I came here. When Candance mentioned with passion that she loves spreading The Word, I was not surprised considering she's the brother of Kirk.

But there's being all thingy about christianity, there's hating some random set of people because it makes you feel superior, and then there's taking your child, your CHILD, and beating them for dropping food, for... fuck, I can't even describe it, but it's their child, who they're supposed to love.

We had quite a lot of fun trolling her site a few years back, she's a horrible person and is pretty much just like her dumb brother.

We need to get back on that horse!

If this is from 2006, wasn't that before the truth and bad publicity about the Pearls really started to come out? Maybe - hopefully - Candace has changed her views since then.

I always found her smug and irritating as an adult. This certainly isn't improving my opinion.

I remember both siblings on their respective TV shows back in the 80's and now I wonder what the heck happened to these people?! We hear of child stars going bad through drugs, alcohol and promiscuity, but I guess one more danger is fundamentalism.

The majority do seem to be attracted to extremes, in some direction.

I think her brother kind of changed her (religion wise). However, I think her changed happened after her show ended, while her brother's happened while he was still on Growing Pains (and alienated the cast & crew in the process).

Kirk and Candace didn't grow up in a religious family. Kirk has said interviews that his parents were atheist. Kirk was the first one to go through a religious conversion. The rest of the family became fundie a few years later. I also remember Candace saying an interview that she became more religious after Full House ended.

In one of the past Kirk Cameron threads here, someone said that Candace supported gay rights and then someone else said that she and her kids went to Chik-Fil-A appreaciation day and that pictures were posted on twitter.

If this is from 2006, wasn't that before the truth and bad publicity about the Pearls really started to come out? Maybe - hopefully - Candace has changed her views since then.

Unfortunately the Pearl's book has endorsed beating your child from infancy all along, so even if it was before the bad publicity, she was still using plumbing line on her children, and that is horrific. I do hope that the murder cases that have come up changed her mind, but I doubt it. If you are OK with beating your kid then you probably don't bat an eye at the bad publicity it gets.

Kirk and Candace didn't grow up in a religious family. Kirk has said interviews that his parents were atheist. Kirk was the first one to go through a religious conversion. The rest of the family became fundie a few years later. I also remember Candace saying an interview that she became more religious after Full House ended.

In one of the past Kirk Cameron threads here, someone said that Candace supported gay rights and then someone else said that she and her kids went to Chik-Fil-A appreaciation day and that pictures were posted on twitter.

Yeah, I remember seeing that picture on her twitter account. I like to call her a walking contradiction. I think I read that she did support gay rights but then went to Chik-Fil-A to support them. She and her husband own a winery and there was a video John Stamos posted of her and Andrea Barber (Kimmy from Full House) drunk dancing to NKOTB; yet, she talks about how she follows the Bible verbatim. She even wrote a Christian fitness and diet book. Pretty much, the book contains Bible verses to get you in the zone to work out or something. My guess is that she's, compared to Kirk, a bit more private with her beliefs but she'll occasionally throw out some fundie beliefs in interviews-for example, when she was on the 700 Club.

I don't think she supports anything. She was def at CFA day, she was included in a photo array.

I'm surprised she hasn't come out decrying single fathers raising children and called Full House an abomination.

I don't think she supports anything. She was def at CFA day, she was included in a photo array.

I'm surprised she hasn't come out decrying single fathers raising children and called Full House an abomination.

If I am remembering correctly the father on Full House wasn't a single father, but a widower. Although there would be other things she could condemn the show for. After all Jesse was constantly sleeping with different women before he settled down.

I thought I posted this hours ago, came back and found it still waiting! Sorry if any of it is redundant to what has been said, but this is from the horse's mouth (that interview with her).

Didn't the Camerons grow up in a family that was already religious?

I listened to that whole interview, to find out if she said anything else truly offensive.

The basic story is that they were unchurched when she was a kid. Her folks were having marital problems, and, as part of her attempt to get the family back on track, Mom took them all to a church. Candace was 12 at the time.

Candace liked how happy the people seemed and wanted what they had, so she accepted Jesus. Parents' marriage mended, things were better, further confirming her decision.

Years later, she read some stuff (including some of the Way of the Master Asshole stuff Ray Comfort writes and her brother pushes, if I remember correctly), and realized that she wasn't really a good enough Christian and got in even deeper.

She is not as intense and openly obnoxious as her brother (and, in fact, there is some hinting, in that interview, that she doesn't care for his style), and, after annoying her husband to the point where he asked her not to talk about Jesus any more, she says she learned to shut up unless asked.

Hubby did eventually come to it on his own. That story has some icky factors, as well. She wanted to be re-baptized, asked him if he wanted to, as well (hmmmm, so much for not mentioning it - well, she does say she was tentative about it). He said yes.

He was baptized first at the ceremony, then the pastor said that, as the head of her Christian life, her husband should be the one to baptize her. And, submissive wife that she is, she was fine with that. She found it touching.

Yes, no matter which partner has the history, the knowledge and the deeper belief -- having a penis trumps all of that.

Oh, and after all these years, her father was baptized (by her brother) -- not sure exactly when. Dad was "a science guy" and had a hard time accepting Creationism, but finally saw the light. :roll: She says (well, I think the interviewer suggests it) that might be part of why her brother had to get so intense and find "hard proof" from such lights of logic as Ray Comfort. :lol:

BTW, if you listen to that interview, you will find her pleasant and cheerful and bright in affect. Yet another case of needing to focus on what is really being said, and how offensive it is.

If I am remembering correctly the father on Full House wasn't a single father, but a widower. Although there would be other things she could condemn the show for. After all Jesse was constantly sleeping with different women before he settled down.

Yup Danny was a widower. I remember he got engaged in the later seasons, but his fiancee broke it off.

The Pearls are disgusting and anyone that touts their bullshit is disgusting also. How anyone can beat an infant and think that's acceptable is beyond me. And, of course, she needs to beat the strong-willed personality right out of her daughter. It's not like being strong-willed will come in handy later in life :roll: Yeah, lets just teach our kids to roll over for authority figures and we can then just hope and pray they don't end up in an abusive relationship. Of course, if your parents beat you as an infant, you're already there.

Ahh Ray Comfort and the banana. He's so early 90s. ;) Reading this thread reminds me of a conversation I had with a couple who was a new parent. They told me that it was recommended to them to read the Pearls book. I was aghast - I said - "surely, you don't believe in that book!" Their response? That they wouldn't implement all the suggestions but the overall theme was good!

I was floored. I had to walk away from the conversation.

Archived