IGNORED

Kidist Watches the Golden Globes

Maggie Mae

Despite only seeing one film all year and clearly hating, well, everything in the world.

http://cameraluc.blogspot.com/2013/01/g ... films.html

http://cameraluc.blogspot.com/2013/01/f ... ctors.html

First of all, the important stuff. I think Sierra Miller's dress is hideous.

Kidist says she wants to know who won something called "Best Film" which I can not find listed on the 2013 Golden Globes nomination list. She writes:

None of the films sounded attractive, imaginative, interesting, beautiful, thought provoking, educational, or any of the normal reasons one goes to the movies. Instead, they sounded like horror movies with grotesque story lines, or with over-the-top sexually active characters, or just plain boring. Also, it costs about $15 to watch a movie these days, which is about 2/3 the price of a dinner in a restaurant, which preferable to sitting in a dark room being terrorized by a sadistic film director.

Movies that were nominated for best motion picture in Drama are:

Argo

Django Unchained

Life of Pi

Lincoln

Zero Dark Thirty

Best Motion Picture Comedy or Musical included:

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Les Mis

Moonrise Kingdom

Salmon Fishing in the Yemon

Silver Linings Playbook

Now, out of the Comedy or Musicals I've only even heard of Les Mis and Salmon Fishing in Yemon, neither of which I would classify as a "horror movie with a grotesque storyline," in fact, Les Mis is based on a classic work of literature. Out of the candidates for Drama, I've only seen Zero Dark Thirty, but I wanted to see them all, except possibly Life of Pi (I already read the book. Took a me a few tries because I'd always fall asleep halfway through, get bored and forget about it.)

On Inception & Shutter Island:

They are both so insidiously evil, that I kept having recurring nightmares, in day light (one of the films deals with disintegrating buildings). I was temporarily rendered paranoid.

Not so sure it's temporarily. Maybe best to see a psychiatrist.

I like this little nugget:

"I will write about the designers who produced these ugly gowns and the actresses who wore them, and why I think they did so, later in another post."

Can. Not. Wait.

What's the Django Unchained hate all about?

I won't be going to see that because I don't watch many films anyway, don't like the clips I've seen and am not a Tarantino fan. This doesn't mean I think he's shit, it means I respect him as a very clever guy and my small feeling as one very occasional filmgoer is where he's working in film, I'm not feeling it, personally.

So there is a crazy, yet simple solution, Kidist. Don't go to the film. Just don't. Stop worrying about DiCaprio's soul, which you have no idea of the state of (or existence of in the first place ) and make yourself a cocoa. You could put the marshmallows on top, I hear that is nice.

A cheerful programme will be on TV for you. My mum likes one called "Heir Hunters", if you can get that in Canada, that will be right up your street. It's about a team who search out people who are beneficiaries of wills by checking their genealogy. There's a mixture of happy and sad endings, and the process would intrigue you.

IOW - RELAX, YOU BIG MENTALIST. There have been horrific films since film started. If you don't like that, the option isn't "become terrified at the evil engulfing the world." It is "Do not look at that film and do something nice instead."

Heir Hunters sounds fascinating!!!

And Kidist is a lunatic. I've had enough lunacy today, but I'll tackle her blog tomorrow. It's got that trainwreck "can't look away" thing happening.

I won't be going to see that because I don't watch many films anyway, don't like the clips I've seen and am not a Tarantino fan. This doesn't mean I think he's shit, it means I respect him as a very clever guy and my small feeling as one very occasional filmgoer is where he's working in film, I'm not feeling it, personally.

So there is a crazy, yet simple solution, Kidist. Don't go to the film. Just don't. Stop worrying about DiCaprio's soul, which you have no idea of the state of (or existence of in the first place ) and make yourself a cocoa. You could put the marshmallows on top, I hear that is nice.

A cheerful programme will be on TV for you. My mum likes one called "Heir Hunters", if you can get that in Canada, that will be right up your street. It's about a team who search out people who are beneficiaries of wills by checking their genealogy. There's a mixture of happy and sad endings, and the process would intrigue you.

IOW - RELAX, YOU BIG MENTALIST. There have been horrific films since film started. If you don't like that, the option isn't "become terrified at the evil engulfing the world." It is "Do not look at that film and do something nice instead."

Hey, "Heir Hunters" sounds suspiciously like an old job of mine!

There was a lawyer here who revolved his whole practice around this. He started working in a mining town, where many of the miners were Eastern European immigrants. A surprising number of them never married or had kids, and when they died, their estates would be unclaimed and therefore administered by a government office (which is where I worked). Well, this fellow started working with a genealogist and would actually find the 23 first cousins of a dead miner in the Ukraine, and get them all to appoint him to administer the estate (and give him a cut). My job in the government office was to map out and check these family trees, along with all of their documentation, before releasing the funds to either the lawyer or the heirs.

The other fun part of that job involved answering call at intake. "Hello? We found the body of Mr. X in his apartment yesterday, but we believe that he may have been dead for a week already. We're in the middle of a heat wave, and really need you to send someone to deal with this right away. Oh, and you'll also need a funeral sanitation company to come by, because there's been some seepage."

I had to shake my head when she talked about the dresses women were wearing and the "foul films." As JFC said, if you don't like it don't watch it.

I have relatives here and there who will watch the Globes, Oscars, all that good stuff to see what people are wearing.

Her issue with Django is that it involves the evil blacks rising up against the innocent white slave masters.

Let's see if I can make sense of her objections to the nominated films. There are a few if them I don't know enough about to judge:

Django Unchained - black people

Life of Pi -brown people

Lincoln. -freeing black people

Zero Dark Thirty. -brown people who are evil Mooslims

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. -brown people

Les Miserables - lots of poor people

The films I did not mention are probably filled with brown, poor people.

Let's see if I can make sense of her objections to the nominated films. There are a few if them I don't know enough about to judge:

Django Unchained - black people

Life of Pi -brown people

Lincoln. -freeing black people

Zero Dark Thirty. -brown people who are evil Mooslims

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. -brown people

Les Miserables - lots of poor people

The films I did not mention are probably filled with brown, poor people.

Well, I'd think she would like Zero Dark Thirty. Brown people were tortured and killed. However, I suppose the fact that a woman was the "main" character is too much for her.

I like this little nugget:

"I will write about the designers who produced these ugly gowns and the actresses who wore them, and why I think they did so, later in another post."

Can. Not. Wait.

Oooh, oooh, Kidist, can you write about the designer who made that frumpy, wrinkled little number you wore to the VFR Dinnerback in December? Pretty please!

I like how she calls Tina Fey a "Potty Mouthed Golden Globe Presenter." It's better to have a potty mouth than an evil, filthy heart like hers!

Well, I'd think she would like Zero Dark Thirty. Brown people were tortured and killed. However, I suppose the fact that a woman was the "main" character is too much for her.

Her Internet ultra-conservative pals don't like it because the US military and intelligence forces aren't portrayed as perfect. Also because it stars a lady and is directed by a lady.

Archived