IGNORED

Torchwood

Alecto

So, I didn't discover Torchwood until May of this year, so I've been on a Netflix binge to catch up before Miracle Day started a few weeks ago.

I have to admit, I didn't like the first episode at all. The next two have grown on me, and while I really miss the OLD Torchwood crew, Mekhi Phifer is growing on me, as is the fact Gwen had a baby, and I am excited for tonight!

Guest Anonymous

I loooove Torchwood! (And Doctor Who.) I've been watching the new season but I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. Except that I still love Gwen, particularly when she punches people in the face.

I'm not over Children of Earth, either. Good grief I almost cried my face off. Poor Ianto. And poor Jack.

OMG I bawled over Ianto dying.

THe best line of the entire series was Gwen on the plane to the Female CIA agent who used to be on Dollhouse when she called her English and she said "I'm Welsh" and decked her.

Guest Anonymous

THe best line of the entire series was Gwen on the plane to the Female CIA agent who used to be on Dollhouse when she called her English and she said "I'm Welsh" and decked her.

I totally agree. My second favorite is when they were about to give Jack the shot. The flight attendants are helping Gwen with his jacket and she says "Be careful with his coat!"

I completely buy the relationship between Jack and Gwen. Jack's tenderness and protectiveness with his team has always been one of the best things about the show for me.

Guest Anonymous

I didn't watch Jericho, so I'm not familiar with the Emily reference. However, if I am supposed to be sympathetic to Esther as a character, it's not happening. I just want to punch her in the face. Dear Esther, please stop snivelling and trying to get your far more interesting team members killed.

I'm kind of bummed with the most recent episode. When Jack and Gwen are on screen, I'm okay. When they aren't, I'm pissed. The writing is lazy. Why the hell did Rex not take all the drugs he would need for a year from the warehouse? Why did the doctor whose name I can't recall sleep with him when they had no sexual chemistry? Why did Jilly go from being manic happy all over Oswald to hating him for no apparent reason?

Ugh. I will keep watching because of John and Eve, but I'm not impressed. I hope it gets better.

At least Gwen trying to talk American was hilarious. I love her.

I didn't watch Jericho, so I'm not familiar with the Emily reference. However, if I am supposed to be sympathetic to Esther as a character, it's not happening. I just want to punch her in the face. Dear Esther, please stop snivelling and trying to get your far more interesting team members killed.

That's pretty much Emily in a nutshell! Blond, pretty, supposed to be sympathetic due to family issues... just ends up being annoying as fuck, and kind of dumb.

Guest Anonymous

Alecto, I don't know if you're a fannish type person, but as far as I'm concerned, this is what *really* happened after CoE. It makes things much better. It's a super well written and lovely story called Intersecting Geodesics. I had lost my bookmark for it so it took me a while to remember the name and hunt it up.

http://www.whofic.com/viewstory.php?sid=33445&chapter=1

It even has cover art!

2zykk75.png

The new series is growing on me. The American/UK language differences schtick went on for way too long, but I'm just happy that John Barrowman is back on my TV.

I am new here but Torchwood is one of my favourite series and glad they didn't break too much from the original programme formula, i.e. Americanized humour without the cheekiness. I am also quite pleased that they are actually airing it ahead of the UK whilst I am here and not off cycle.

A friend of mine was telling me how he liked it because Jack and the world switched places but Jack was in stasis mostly and would heal back to his "pre" death state thanks to Rose unlike the world is doing. Anyways, I think they are doing great so far in comparison to say the Shameless and Being Human remake series which are unwatchable compared to the source programmes. The Life on Mars remake was decent until the end...

Cheers,

Cameron

I didnt see CoE but guess I should find it on netflix... I'm OK with the new series, but the gay sex isnt my thing. I'm cool with women, but the men thing squicks me. Lots of male gay friends... just squicks me out, dunno...

Guest Anonymous
Holy Crap, did not see that ending coming. I am sad, because I really liked Vera.

She was the only one of the new people that I liked, but Torchwood does have a history of being ruthless about killing people off.

I'm kind of pissed. PhiCore is this sinister, masterminding evil org, and they are dumb enough to call their disposal factories "camps?" With the history of concentration camps in Europe and internment camps in the U.S.? That's stupid. You would think they would call them "Health Centers" or "Fluffy Bunny Petting Areas" or "Rehab Homes."

It makes sense that they would burn the people that would, under normal circumstances, be dead. It's gruesome and wrong, but understandable how they got there - but I sure as hell think that Europeans even more than the rest of the world are going to have a big damn problem with this when they find out. I don't know, I'm frustrated with a lot of stuff but I will watch it anyway.

I was amused at the beginning when Gwen sees the baby and takes that stupid pink headband off and tosses it on the floor.

I was amused at the beginning when Gwen sees the baby and takes that stupid pink headband off and tosses it on the floor.

Oh! Look at all this *PINK*....

I love Gwen so much.

She was the only one of the new people that I liked, but Torchwood does have a history of being ruthless about killing people off.

I'm kind of pissed. PhiCore is this sinister, masterminding evil org, and they are dumb enough to call their disposal factories "camps?" With the history of concentration camps in Europe and internment camps in the U.S.? That's stupid. You would think they would call them "Health Centers" or "Fluffy Bunny Petting Areas" or "Rehab Homes."

It makes sense that they would burn the people that would, under normal circumstances, be dead. It's gruesome and wrong, but understandable how they got there - but I sure as hell think that Europeans even more than the rest of the world are going to have a big damn problem with this when they find out. I don't know, I'm frustrated with a lot of stuff but I will watch it anyway.

I agree. I knew exactly what was going to happen at those overfill "camps" as soon as they started calling them camps.

I did not see Vera's end coming like that. I thought she would be on for at least one more episode.

I'm starting to feel a little weird when I watch the show. First it was the guy who was still alive after the bomb, and after his spinal cord was cut, then the woman who was crushed in the car, and now being burned alive. What horrible way to die without dying is next? It's one of the most frightening things I've seen in a long time, despite not really being all that scary.

I sincerely hope that Europe doesn't think that all Americans today are tea party members and redneck men.

I would like to know what happens to the ash. Are those people still sentient? If not, then they really are dead, aren't they? I feel like the show has been kind of inconsistent about that. I think it was Rex who couldn't pass out, and it seems like they've been saying that people remain conscious and in pain no matter how horribly mangled their bodies are, but then Vera was saying that someone shouldn't be in Category 1 because he's conscious. So can brain death still occur? Or are there piles of sentient ash? This has really been bothering me.

I'm thinking this is a story that should have been done in 5 episodes. Maybe next week we will finally get around to actually doing something interesting.

• 1 month later...

As for Jack's taking many male lovers, in the previous series (the one produced by BBC), Jack wasn't "gay," or even "bi-sexual". He was "omnisexual". He didn't have a preference for either the male or female gender, or whether the being was even human (there are genderless aliens). This is one thing that the Americanization of the show destroyed. The storyline is that Jack's high sex drive is due to powerful 26th century phermones, not necessarily his sexual preferences.

I watched 8 episodes of this series, and then got totally bored. However, the sex scenes between Jack and his Italian Stallion were some of the hottest things I've seen on TV. Gwen is awesome.

• 4 months later...

Miracle Day was not my favorite, but it was nice to see Jack, Whys, Andy and Gwen back in action even via Starz network. Russell T. Davies' partner was diagnosed with cancer during writing or filming IIRC and it had to have affected the mini-series.

Would be lovely to have Starz announce another series next year but I am not holding my breath.

Why is it that we can send a man to the moon yet American remakes of excellent Brit TV shows are so horrible? Remember "Coupling" plus "Life on Mars", "Shameless", Being Human is the worst IMO

Archived