IGNORED

The 7 Sisters have a quote about singleness

Seven Severn

I don't think the oldest girl understands what it means to be 25, and what the expectations are by that age in the wider world and even within fundy communities.

I think they actually are so stunted comfortable with their way of life, I very much doubt any of them will be married, and will just live all together in their house until their old and die. They seem quite happy and resigned to the fact which I'm not sure is sad or not.

I suppose I can't really criticse them, they somehow seem less annoying or preachy than many other fundie blogs I've come across, and at least they are allowed Internet access to watch youtube etc.

However in saying that, do they have any friends their age besides their sisters? even any outward hobbies to be able to go out to individually or as a group to be able to meet a guy if they so chose? Seems they are sheltered a lot with how they live, making very little chance of meeting anybody to marry.

I think they actually are so stuntedcomfortable with their way of life, I very much doubt any of them will be married, and will just live all together in their house until their old and die. They seem quite happy and resigned to the fact which I'm not sure is sad or not.

I suppose I can't really criticse them, they somehow seem less annoying or preachy than many other fundie blogs I've come across, and at least they are allowed Internet access to watch youtube etc.

However in saying that, do they have any friends their age besides their sisters? even any outward hobbies to be able to go out to individually or as a group to be able to meet a guy if they so chose? Seems they are sheltered a lot with how they live, making very little chance of meeting anybody to marry.

They do seem to have friends. They have friends they have visited and whatnot, but I am not sure they have any friends their age near them. That's the problem. Do they go to a real church or do they home church? Could they meet guys there?

They are amazing seamstresses and could probably make a half-decent business out of it if they had the education and the encouragement to do so. It's a pity they don't and won't progress beyond Etsy.

They go to a small but outside church. No one else there wears head coverings or frumpers.

I honestly can't imagine any of them getting married. They would just be too overwhelmed with the experience of just being alone in a room with a man and having a conversation with him, let alone holding his hand and further. I think they'll all live together like those two sisters on The Waltons, except there will be seven of them and of course they won't sell moonshine.

IMO this quotes says it all:

we girls remember Mommy reading it to us

Please someone jump in and tell me the 25 year old didn't write that. Please.

No, I don't think there's any danger of any of them marrying any time soon. They are pitifully stunted, so it's probably better that way. There parents though :evil: there are just no words for people who raise children to never grow up.

How great would it be if they DID sell moonshine!? :lol:

They remind me somewhat of Rebecca Eleventy, but at least they have each other. Where Rebecca uses !!!11!!, they use smileys. I would've never guessed they were good seamstresses, but that is only b/c their frumpers are so ugly. I guess I've never looked past that to see if they are well-made.

They do seem like they'd be perfectly happy all living together forever...taking silly pictures and blogging. Maybe they have desires to get married and what not and just don't talk about it though. I don't know.

Some of their stories that they think are SOOOO funny remind me of Rebecca Evelenty's story about the pastor that didn't know what time it was and they tricked him or whatever. Similar to Maxwell hilarious stories as well...the sunglasses were under the bus seat the whole time...get it!?!?

I honestly can't imagine any of them getting married. They would just be too overwhelmed with the experience of just being alone in a room with a man and having a conversation with him, let alone holding his hand and further. I think they'll all live together like those two sisters on The Waltons, except there will be seven of them and of course they won't sell moonshine.

LOVE

Baldwin sister's...doing fundie the right way. Well if you want to be a spinster :D

I think some of the younger ones will marry, but I worry about the older ones. I rather like the Seven Sisters, in comparison to many other fundies.

Edit: In the south, I find it is common to call one's mama, mama. I do call her that, but it's a cultural thing we picked up, and in front of people, it generally is my mother. But I agree, the only time I call my mother mommy, is when referring to her with my infant sister, as in "Let's go find Mommy, yeah?" Otherwise, it is a bit cutesy in an awkward sort of way.

I have a different thought about these gals:

IIRC, it's been the sisters' choice(s) to dress and groom the way they do, their parents don't quite understand it but accept it, and mom even wears pants and workout clothes.

Now, if any of that is inaccurate, just stop reading here. :) But if it is, well then,

1. It seems to be the sisters' choice to go all Little House Redux, the parents seem fine with having them under roof, and if those truly are their own choices, I'm all about choice.

2. What the world expects of a typical, able-bodied, 25-year-old, Caucasian woman in a middle-class home in USA is immaterial if that woman is able to live her alternative lifestyle in her folks' home, wearing weird (MHO) clothes and leaving her hair waaay too long. (Again, MHO ;) )

3. I honeslty can't see the youngest of the 7 sticking with this play-act forever. The older 3, quite likely. They may just be on the asexual side, not naturally tuned to the idea of marrying and procreating.

Not sure why I say that about the youngers, as I really can't look at their blog very long (boring to be sure). It just seems unlikely to me that the ones in their very early teens (aren't the youngest 11 and 12?) are going to find something else to do with their lives as they go through adolescence.

Possibly it will have to do with the mom and dad accepting some of the oldest as SAHDs, but encouraging the younger ones to get out and see the world.

And possibly I'm so off on this it's pathetic. I'm influenced heavily by my own aunt who was asexual and lived with her parents 'til they both died. As it turns out, the parents lived with her, as grandpa's pension was a joke and aunty's salary very much helped keep the household afloat.

I know that isn't the case with the Baby Janes discussed here. ;)

And possibly I'm so off on this it's pathetic. I'm influenced heavily by my own aunt who was asexual and lived with her parents 'til they both died. As it turns out, the parents lived with her, as grandpa's pension was a joke and aunty's salary very much helped keep the household afloat.

Well, they don't let the sisters work, so I can't see them using them for income. This happened to my great aunt, but I think she was not allowed to marry by her parents, as she was very close to being engaged once. She ended up rather grumpy by the end of her life.

I think several of the sisters, more then likely will stay unmarried, living together and possibly, helping to raise their siblings children. I think if they inherit their parents home, they will never leave. I think several are very comfortable in their virgin, child stage and may never want to leave as long as they have at least one sister with them. Maybe in another home, these types of girls would have become nuns or something else (like functioning adults?), but in their culture, I wouldn't be surprised, if at least a few stayed unmarried.

I think several of the sisters, more then likely will stay unmarried, living together and possibly, helping to raise their siblings children. I think if they inherit their parents home, they will never leave. I think several are very comfortable in their virgin, child stage and may never want to leave as long as they have at least one sister with them. Maybe in another home, these types of girls would have become nuns or something else (like functioning adults?), but in their culture, I wouldn't be surprised, if at least a few stayed unmarried.

:text-bravo:

What I meant to say.

And you said it a whole lot better!!!

It's not just that they don't want to get married. I get that. I might never get married. Some people never date. It's not a big deal. The problem I see is that they have no desire to ever grow up in any way. None of them want to get an education or a job. I think any of them would be overwhelmed with being in charge of even the simplest budget (like deciding how many hours to work as a cashier to buy that dress you like). They help their mother, but I can't see any of them actually being in charge of a household. I think as long as someone delegates tasks to them, they're fine. But I just don't see them stepping up to be in charge. It's more than just doing the domestic stuff; it's also knowing what needs to be done. Right now if they forget something, they will be reminded or someone else will take care of it. But the first time I lived alone I realized that there's a lot of meta planning that is required to keep things functioning. Even if they could find a husband to make all the money and do all the budgeting, I still don't see them being completely in charge of a house and a kid and all the planning that requires. I just can't see them transitioning to adulthood in any meaningful way, and what's worse is that they don't seem to want to.

I agree that they seem more into the dress-up game than their parents, but the parents also play a role. Surely it was the parents who decided to homeschool as the kids would have been too young to make any meaningful decision even if they had been given the choice. I wonder if the girls are so backwards because their parents didn't value them because of their gender, or if there is more to it than that.

The ironic thing is that they love to pretend they are farm girls, but if they had lived on a real farm, they would have grown up pretty fast and worked a lot harder than they do now. It's one thing to play pretend for a little while, but it's quite another thing when you make it your entire life.

Pointing out, once again, that Daddy was the one that insisted they cover. Daddy is probably insisting on frumpers. I am not sure how much ability they have to do something else than what they do.

Pointing out, once again, that Daddy was the one that insisted they cover. Daddy is probably insisting on frumpers. I am not sure how much ability they have to do something else than what they do.

Is there a post to go along with that? I am dying to read more background on how it all got started. We they "normal" at one point?

It's not just that they don't want to get married. I get that. I might never get married. Some people never date. It's not a big deal. The problem I see is that they have no desire to ever grow up in any way. None of them want to get an education or a job. I think any of them would be overwhelmed with being in charge of even the simplest budget (like deciding how many hours to work as a cashier to buy that dress you like). They help their mother, but I can't see any of them actually being in charge of a household. I think as long as someone delegates tasks to them, they're fine. But I just don't see them stepping up to be in charge. It's more than just doing the domestic stuff; it's also knowing what needs to be done. Right now if they forget something, they will be reminded or someone else will take care of it. But the first time I lived alone I realized that there's a lot of meta planning that is required to keep things functioning. Even if they could find a husband to make all the money and do all the budgeting, I still don't see them being completely in charge of a house and a kid and all the planning that requires. I just can't see them transitioning to adulthood in any meaningful way, and what's worse is that they don't seem to want to.

This. I think it's at the heart of a lot of what I find wrong with the SAHDs who choose to stay home. I just can't understand wanting to be a kid forever - even if being a grown up is hard work. But my parents also made that a major part of the narrative when I was a teenager - moving out, going to school, not being dependent (but being able to call for help).

I agree that they seem more into the dress-up game than their parents, but the parents also play a role. Surely it was the parents who decided to homeschool as the kids would have been too young to make any meaningful decision even if they had been given the choice.

The parents bear more of the blame because they are, or supposed to be, the adults in the house.

Archived