IGNORED

NYT on Christian Health Care Cost-Sharing Ministries

AnnaSofia

I have mentioned before that my co-worker didn't have insurance last year, because it was going to cost her over $900 A MONTH. When she was looking for options, she was told to check into a similar cost-sharing "ministry". Who recommended it? An insurance broker! Her entire job is to find people health insurance, and that's what she herself uses and recommended. 

This same woman is a Trump-humper, and I avoid her "help" as much as possible. 

Sure, Elaine. Keep saying "Obamacare is terrible" and stuff like that. I know you're just realizing your entire job consists of work any person can do on their own just as well as you can, and that universal healthcare would put you out of work. 

The state of healthcare in the US is horrific. 

I wonder how Samaritan and others are planning to handle the Covid-19 pandemic? Think they'll find an excuse not to cover it?

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • Rufus Bless 3

34 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I have mentioned before that my co-worker didn't have insurance last year, because it was going to cost her over $900 A MONTH. When she was looking for options, she was told to check into a similar cost-sharing "ministry". Who recommended it? An insurance broker! Her entire job is to find people health insurance, and that's what she herself uses and recommended. 

This same woman is a Trump-humper, and I avoid her "help" as much as possible. 

Sure, Elaine. Keep saying "Obamacare is terrible" and stuff like that. I know you're just realizing your entire job consists of work any person can do on their own just as well as you can, and that universal healthcare would put you out of work. 

The state of healthcare in the US is horrific. 

I wonder how Samaritan and others are planning to handle the Covid-19 pandemic? Think they'll find an excuse not to cover it?

I was in the same position when I was between jobs.  I do agree Obamacare is terrible as that was my only option also at over $900 per month.  But this other stuff is more than useless, it creates a false sense of security so people don't actively push politicians for real solutions.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

On 3/10/2020 at 11:40 AM, Alisamer said:

It's an act of God, so no. If you didn't first try essential oils and colloidal silver first, also no. 

• WTF 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Howl said:

If you didn't first try essential oils and colloidal silver first, also no. 

Mind you, Scamaritan payments would ONLY apply when essential oils and colloidal silver are purchased from a godly™️ Christian

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 4

As we punk fundies for their use of colloidal silver, I do want to point out that silver has effective antimicrobial properties, and has been used for that purpose since ancient times. As this article notes, silver household items were in use in the Han Dynasty (B.C.E. 1500). 

Antimicrobial Silver in Medicinal and Consumer Applications: A Patent Review of the Past Decade (2007–2017)

<snip>

A recently published review includes more details about the bactericidal mechanisms of silver, along with methods of silver nanoparticle preparation [7]. Throughout history, silver has consistently been used to restrict the spread of human disease by incorporation into articles used in daily life. The earliest recorded use of silver for therapeutic purposes dates back to the Han Dynasty in China circa. 1500 B.C.E [8]. Silver vessels and plates were frequently used during the Phoenician, Macedonian, and Persian empires [9]. Families of the higher socioeconomic classes during the middle-ages were so acquainted with the usage of silver that they developed bluish skin discolorations known as argyria, an affliction which may have led to the term ‘blue blood’ to describe members of the aristocracy [10]. Modern medicine utilizes medical grade forms of silver, such as silver nitrate, silver sulfadiazine, and colloidal silver [11].

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, Howl said:

As we punk fundies for their use of colloidal silver, I do want to point out that silver has effective antimicrobial properties, and has been used for that purpose since ancient times. As this article notes, silver household items were in use in the Han Dynasty (B.C.E. 1500). 

Antimicrobial Silver in Medicinal and Consumer Applications: A Patent Review of the Past Decade (2007–2017)

<snip>

That’s the thing: many traditional and “natural “ remedies have benefits; ginger for nausea, calendula for rashes, arnica for skin. Sometimes doing nothing is better than getting antibiotics and other medical treatments, and doctors aren’t gods. 

That being said, there is real danger in touting homeopathy and naturopathic cures as evidence based treatments, which is what most fundies who are into this do. It’s to the point where I wouldn’t try any of these cures if a fundie recommends them. There has to be something between treating cavities with tea and running to the doctor for every runny nose. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2

I figure this group will find this video from April Orgill interesting.  She’s again detailing Christian Healthcare Ministries.  (uh, wait, somyo7 can a month off if someone uses your code when they sign up? So it’s sort of like an MLM (otherwise known as pyramid scheme). 

6 hours ago, clueliss said:

I figure this group will find this video from April Orgill interesting.  She’s again detailing Christian Healthcare Ministries.  (uh, wait, somyo7 can a month off if someone uses your code when they sign up? So it’s sort of like an MLM (otherwise known as pyramid scheme). 

One kid has arthritis, another had leptospirosis? And why did she have the most recent baby in an expensive hospital? Does CHM not cover prescriptions? Why is April spending hundreds of dollars on naproxyn (AKA Alleve)? And they pay $150/month to cover ALL six of their kids? So many questions!

• Upvote 2

The naproxen is for EB who has RA.  She’s also now on a two year program of methotrexate.  

as I recall from a different video, nope, they don’t cover prescriptions. 

not sure why she had the latest baby in the hospital when the one before that was a home birth,  hearing what she says about how much CHM covers for home birth vs hospital, I think we. May have an explanation about why the Duggar girls seem to lean to home birth.  

• Thank You 2

Just checked their facebook page.  They're in the British Virgin Islands. Probably paid for with all the money they didn't shell out for legitimate insurance.

• Upvote 2

With two other vlogging couples and the kids left at home while the country is coming to a screeching halt.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 3

• 2 weeks later...

Scamaritan tells families to apply for Medicaid to pay for emergencies.   It seems more like an MLM or pyramid scheme to me....

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

I wonder what effect of COVID-19 will be on Scamaritan.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, Pleiades_06 said:

I have also wondered about this. Guessing Scamaritan will not be footing those bills.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

On 3/11/2020 at 8:03 PM, Howl said:

<snip>

The only issue is in ancient times people were lucky to live to their mid 40s.  I think it is safe to assume the effectiveness is somewhat questionable.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, Pleiades_06 said:

I wonder how many church goers that are defying assembly orders have samaritan and what the group thinks about that issue especially if people get covid-19. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 3

19 hours ago, Pleiades_06 said:

Hopefully it will fold. Really hope it folds.

Who am I kidding. They’ll put their fingers in their ears and hum LALALALAICANTHEARYOU, while calmly denying claims. But they’ll pray, so there’s that…

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7

Donʻt think they use Scamaritan, but Debi Pearl and Shoshanna Pearl Easling have put up a You Tube video on how to prepare your family for the coronavirus.

Among other things, they make the following points:

• According to Shoshanna, itʻs not the virus that causes pneumonia but a secondary, bacterial infection.
  • As prophylaxes and home treatment for infection, they advise taking zinc, vitamins C & D3, garlic, and breathing deeply. According to Shoshanna, Mike Pearl stopped a heart attack completely by doing some deep breathing, which slowed his heart rate down, raised his oxygen levels, postponed the heart attack, and allowed him to drive 45 minutes to his doctor who was JUST AMAZED. 
  • If you do become infected with COVID-19, Debi says, keep your lungs moist. Breathing in the steam from herbal tea & breathing deeply are great things to do. 
  • Debi says pneumonia comes from just laying still. Itʻs much better to get up & move around, or shift positions in bed. So, when youʻre sick with pneumonia, get up and move around as much as possible. If youʻre well, just move around a lot.
  • Shoshanna says that if you end up in bed with pneumonia, lie on your stomach. This is much better than lying on your back.
  • Debi says to use this time to learn scripture, start praying, enjoy your family, and get to know the Lord. Pray for all these different countries -- not for them to get well but to be open to the gospel.
  • If you need more medical information, check out YouTube!

Not one.fucking.word. about social distancing or washing hands or doing your best to avoid exposing vulnerable folks to infection. Not one word.

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 5
  • Thank You 6

15 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Donʻt think they use Scamaritan, but Debi Pearl and Shoshanna Pearl Easling have put up a You Tube video on how to prepare your family for the coronavirus.

Among other things, they make the following points:

• According to Shoshanna, itʻs not the virus that causes pneumonia but a secondary, bacterial infection.
  • As prophylaxes and home treatment for infection, they advise taking zinc, vitamins C & D3, garlic, and breathing deeply. According to Shoshanna, Mike Pearl stopped a heart attack completely by doing some deep breathing, which slowed his heart rate down, raised his oxygen levels, postponed the heart attack, and allowed him to drive 45 minutes to his doctor who was JUST AMAZED. 
  • If you do become infected with COVID-19, Debi says, keep your lungs moist. Breathing in the steam from herbal tea & breathing deeply are great things to do. 
  • Debi says pneumonia comes from just laying still. Itʻs much better to get up & move around, or shift positions in bed. So, when youʻre sick with pneumonia, get up and move around as much as possible. If youʻre well, just move around a lot.
  • Shoshanna says that if you end up in bed with pneumonia, lie on your stomach. This is much better than lying on your back.
  • Debi says to use this time to learn scripture, start praying, enjoy your family, and get to know the Lord. Pray for all these different countries -- not for them to get well but to be open to the gospel.
  • If you need more medical information, check out YouTube!

Not one.fucking.word. about social distancing or washing hands or doing your best to avoid exposing vulnerable folks to infection. Not one word.

It’s infuriating.  When I’ve had pneumonia I was advised to breathe deeply, which I was reluctant to do because it hurt and made me cough, but it was important to have a productive cough and get the mucus out.

Moist air and steam is also helpful, and an herbal tea bag does make it more pleasant.

when I had pneumonia before I was admitted lying on my back would have been impossible.  I was sleeping in a recliner because going even close to flat made me cough continually.

Im currently having a weird issue when I breathe deeply but I think I’ll skip asking these monsters for advice.

• Upvote 10

14 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

It’s infuriating.  When I’ve had pneumonia I was advised to breathe deeply, which I was reluctant to do because it hurt and made me cough, but it was important to have a productive cough and get the mucus out.

I know. In and of themselves, a number of things they say arenʻt bad but telling people to look for medical information on YouTube? JFC.

ETA: What got me was the story about Mike Pearl "postponing" a heart attack through deep breathing. 

Sure, if you think youʻre having a heart attack, just breath deeply and then drive 45 minutes for medical care!

?☠️?

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 8

On 3/28/2020 at 10:24 PM, hoipolloi said:

According to Shoshanna, Mike Pearl stopped a heart attack completely by doing some deep breathing, which slowed his heart rate down, raised his oxygen levels, postponed the heart attack, and allowed him to drive 45 minutes to his doctor who was JUST AMAZED. 

I am guessing the doctor said he was amazed was too polite to say "you are a dumbass, you stupid, ignorant man you put yourself and all those on the road in danger!"

Or Micheal missed the doctor saying "you are amazingly stupid" 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

I looked Shoshanna Pearl up and she says she is 45 weeks  over 44 weeks pregnant and still doing a home birth.

I don't think I've known anyone that went 45 weeks.   I know she has Plexus and Jesus on her side, but this can't be wise, can it?

Edited by JenniferJuniper
  • Upvote 5
  • WTF 4
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

I looked Shoshanna Pearl up and she says she is 45 weeks  over 44 weeks pregnant and still doing a home birth.

I don't think I've known anyone that went 45 weeks.   I know she has Plexus and Jesus on her side, but this can't be wise, can it?

Nope, not wise at all. The longer you go over due the less likely the baby will survive. She could be off on her due date but if she has never had a real medical doctor check her, she wouldn't know for sure. 

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 1

4 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Nope, not wise at all. The longer you go over due the less likely the baby will survive. She could be off on her due date but if she has never had a real medical doctor check her, she wouldn't know for sure. 

Midwife only, I am pretty sure.  She must be past 35 also?

• Upvote 6

8 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Midwife only, I am pretty sure.  She must be past 35 also?

Certified midwife or Jill Duggar type midwife? Certified midwife would/should know how to determine due dates and shouldn't let anyone go too long. (I'm not a medical anything, just had 3 babies and was 10 days over with one of them and had have scheduled C for another because she was so big)

I found something on her parents website in 2011 and she said she was 27. So she is 36ish (depending on when her birthday lands)

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2