IGNORED

What to do with frozen berries (blue. black, and raspberry)

HerNameIsBuffy

I am making cranberry muffins today and was thinking of using some of the mixed berries in that recipe instead of cranberries for a few batches, but I wonder if the moisture would throw it off.

Any ideas of what I can do with about 6 cups of frozen berries?  

Smoothies? 

I know there are recipes for mixed berry muffins. 

That’s all I’ve got. I’ll come back to this after coffee and breakfast. 

P.S. I love berries so much. 

8 minutes ago, Kailash said:

I know there are recipes for mixed berry muffins. 

apparently i hadn't had enough coffee to look this up!  LOL.

I found a basic recipe with stuff I have at home so will be trying one batch.

2 hours ago, Kailash said:

Ha! Nice! Let us know how they turn out, please.

It was a failed experiment.  They came out ugly but edible.  And tasting like light cinnamon cupcakes rather than berry muffins.

I took pics to blog (before I knew it wouldn't be successful) and if I post them I'll rival Jill Duggar for badly photographed mediocre food that probably won't kill you.

Do you like pancakes? You could do mixed berry pancakes instead of just the usual blueberry ones.

Just now, Cartmann99 said:

Do you like pancakes? You could do mixed berry pancakes instead of just the usual blueberry ones.

My kids dont - its heresy.  I am making this for them as I don't like anything with raspberry or blackberry.

And I only used 2 cups!  On the hunt for something else I can make and freeze

Shoot, if I lived closer I'd offer to take those mixed berries off of your hands. I've never met a berry I didn't  like. :pb_smile:

I hope you find a recipe that works for you!

21 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

Shoot, if I lived closer I'd offer to take those mixed berries off of your hands. I've never met a berry I didn't  like. :pb_smile:

I hope you find a recipe that works for you!

I'll find something. I'm just bored and pretending I'm some version of Caroline Ingalls (that's not married to Pa) and using the provisions I have gathered to prepare for winter.

Except I gathered these berries by buying them and throwing them in the freezer instead of the preferred prairie method of basket, bonnet, and collecting them on a pleasant day in the sunshine amidst butterflies.

I have an active imagination.

I used to pick wild blackberries. It was always ridiculously hot with a lot of flying pesky insects. I don’t remember any butterflies. I prefer your version.

I had a relative who had tons of wild blackberry bushes in the woods around her home. She'd make blackberry jam, and we'd also have blackberries with sugar and half and half with our breakfast. 

if we were there when she wanted to pick blackberries, we'd all wear long pants and long sleeved shirts, and she'd douse us in insecticide before we went into the woods to pick blackberries. Even then, we'd still sometimes end up with chigger bites.

33 minutes ago, Kailash said:

I used to pick wild blackberries. It was always ridiculously hot with a lot of flying pesky insects. I don’t remember any butterflies. I prefer your version.

My mom grew raspberries in our garden and I haaaated being sent out to gather.  Pokey and prickly - hot, bugs, yuck.

Things are always more pleasant in my head then in reality.

• 4 weeks later...

I just used up frozen black berries and raspberries  in a bbq sauce.  There was only about a small hand full of both bags in the freezer so I dumped it in the pot with lefter over chicken and Trader Joe's Kansas City bbq sauce. Lots of Chipotle powder as well.

• 2 weeks later...

1/2 - 2/3 of a ramekin of fruit, microwave for 30 sec (defrosted) 60 sec (frozen).  Add sugar to taste and toss in porriage/on cereal.

Or

Simmer with equal weights sugar and a splash of lemon juice until setting point is reached - small quantities of fresh jam.

• 4 weeks later...

During summertime when we were kids we picked some red currants, mashed them and sprinkled them with sugar. Delicious. Simple. Sweet. Aah childhood memories. I sadly didn't have those for years, maybe I will surprise my brother with a portion this summer. I think it could work with any berries, especially when they were frozen. Something for the sweet tooth.

Archived