IGNORED

Dillards 68: Jill "Can" Cook

HerNameIsBuffy

1 hour ago, MarblesMom said:

Hayumen.  The only way cranberry should be enjoyed.

Ahem. I guess the 4 different styles of cranberry sauce at my family's Thanksgiving dinner wouldn't be your thing, then. :pb_wink: We have the jellied sauce from the can. We have the "whole berry" sauce from the can. And we have 2 different versions of cranberry-orange relish: one raw with sugar to sweeten it and the other cooked with honey. And I love having some of each kind. :happy-jumpyellow:

Also, we don't do marshmallows on sweet potatoes. We have yams (which are really just orange-er sweet potatoes) with a brown sugar type sauce over them. Mom has always called them candied yams. 

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Also, we don't do marshmallows on sweet potatoes. We have yams (which are really just orange-er sweet potatoes) with a brown sugar type sauce over them. Mom has always called them candied yams. 

That's how we do it...I love candied yams.

I turn my sweet potatoes into a curry and broil it with butter and maple syrup. No marshmallows, but equally bad for you! 

My favourite way to have sweet potatoes is when it’s made into gnocchi with burnt butter and sage sauce. 

I just posted this in the Jill Rod not Jill Dill  thread, oops. 

I make a sweet potato casserole that is always requested for Thanksgiving dinner (I told yall, I can cook, I just don't want to). This is the one I make:

https://americanprofile.com/articles/sweet-potato-casserole-with-crunchy-corn-flake-topping/

I crunch up the corn flakes a LOT more than the pic shows and double the amount of pecans. :) 

12 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

You have more guts than I do to watch it. I'd probably end up vomiting. 

If you start about 3 mins in its not that bad. I have a weak stomach but watched the whole thing out of fascination. More entertaining than any of the Dullards videos, but then that's not really a high bar to pass.

@Maggie Mae, even if you don't use your Kitchen-Aid that much,  hang on to it!  Or sell it/give it to a serious baker.  It's a Hobart machine and they were made to last forever!  Hobart still makes the big commercial mixers like you might see in bakeries or on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives with Guy Fieri.  (He's in restaurant kitchens all the time on the show.)  I'm not sure that my Kitchen-Aid is Hobart or not, but I do love it.

I love my kitchen aid too. It's the first pricy thing I got for myself. Then, a vitamix. Now I want a lecreuset dutch oven. It's a rabbit hole of kitchen awesomeness. 

@fluffernutter,  man, I'd love a Le Creuset dutch oven!  I do have a tiny fake one in my kitchen filled with regular table salt.  (Kosher salt is in the olive wood salt cellar.)  The teeny fake might be as close as I come to a real one.  I might just treat myself to a Chrissy Teigen Dutch Oven at Target though.

16 hours ago, Kailash said:

I think cooking is so satisfying. I have a hard time understanding when people say they hate it. I can see hating to clean up afterwards. But finding a recipe, making it, and eating it fulfills something in me that a frozen, premade food never could. 

While I too love to cook, I find it easy to understand why others hate it. It can be a pain in the ass to do night after night after night after night after night after night.

I used to think I liked to cook but at some point I realized I just like feeding people, and also reading cookbooks. So I treat people to meals from the Amish market or the ethnic delis and everyone is delighted.

41 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

While I too love to cook, I find it easy to understand why others hate it. It can be a pain in the ass to do night after night after night after night after night after night.

This is a great point. I’m lucky because if I don’t want to cook my husband will. And it’s different to cook for 2 versus a huge family. I was too hasty in saying I had a hard time understanding people who hate to cook. Thank you for the enlightment! 

41 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I think the problem is there are different ways 'to cook': the 'lets find a nice recipe, having/taking the time to cook, maybe experiment with ingredients and enjoy the meal'  vs 'it's seven o'clock, everybody is starving/whiny/hangry and there has to be food on the table asap because we need to go somewhere'. The first one I love, the second one.. not so much. 

I do not like cooking. I think the hardest part is finding easy to make recipes on a week night that won't take an hour or more to prepare. I have some things I do make quite well, but I just get bored. I wish I could have a private chef. 

Part of the key to cooking for a family during the week when you are working, is to make a dish early in the week or on Sunday that can morph into something else. Roasted chicken can be used for fajitas, in Asian stir fry or a pasta dish....the bulk of the work is already done. Also crock pot cooking is easy for weeknights. Try batch cook soups to freeze for later use. Paired with a salad or sandwich, soup is a meal. In the summer, salad, again with roasted chicken from a previous meal. Hard boil up a dozen eggs for snacks and to add to salads during the week. I also batch roast tomatoes from my garden and CSA box during the fall, and freeze for later use in various sauces for pasta and enchilada dishes. I do the same with basil and pesto sauce (add the cheese later). We use our grill for easy meals, but we are in CA where weather permits year round use. Half of the work in cooking is the planning!

Also, food not being a scarcity, I always keep a fully stuffed to the brim, stocked pantry, 2 fridges (with freezers) and a stand alone fridge. I can make just about anything, at any time. I also keep lots of different kinds of flours on hand, which require refrigeration or freezing. 

17 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Nothing shows?

It's a creepy teddy made from Turkey stitched together, I'll see if it uploads now.

article-2528439-1A45BB1800000578-901_634x500.jpg

1 minute ago, Glasgowghirl said:

It's a creepy teddy made from Turkey stitched together, I'll see if it uploads now.

Ah shit- another gag moment.

1 minute ago, Glasgowghirl said:

I need a YIKES!! emoticon response!

Give me something to sort and I am good to go. I love doing laundry, organizing books into alphabetical order or by genre and then alphabetical order. Place me anywhere but it in the kitchen, I hate cooking, I hate baking, and I really really really really hate doing the dishes.

3 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I really really really really hate doing the dishes.

I don't mind this - but I never wash anything by hand. To me, the tetris of loading the dishwasher is relaxing. lol

4 minutes ago, bella8050 said:

That bear is just in time for Halloween! ?

For a moment I thought this was the JRod Reborn Dolls thread

4 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Well I know what will be in MY nightmares tonight bent neck lady and what ever the fuck this is.  :scared-eek:

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived