IGNORED

Homemade Ice Cream - No Ice Cream Machine Required!

MargaretElliott

Hello friends, so it's my boyfriend's birthday and his favorite cake is angel food cake. Delicious, but there's like ten leftover egg yolks and whenever I make lemon curd it just sits in the fridge until it goes off. So, I decided to make ice cream - but I don't have an ice cream machine. So, I adapted an existing recipe to a new technique I'd heard of, and it turned out so well, I just had to share.

INGREDIENTS

1 cup whole milk

1 vanilla bean, split and scraped (or vanilla extract/paste, I used 1 tbsp extract)

8 egg yolks

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 tsp salt

Flavoring of choice

2 cups heavy cream

DIRECTIONS

1. In a heavy saucepan, bring milk to a bare simmer. If using, stir in vanilla bean and seeds, cover, and let steep for one hour. Remove bean, wash away dairy, and set aside to dry. Or just do what I did and glop in some extract.

2. Whisk together egg yolks, salt, and sugar in a bowl. Slowly pour hot milk into the yolks, whisking constantly so you don't scramble the eggs. Once tempered, pour the eggs in with the rest of the milk and cook custard on low heat, whisking frequently, until it thickens, coating the back of a spoon. Sieve it into a bowl (trust me, you'll need to sieve it), add flavoring, and set aside.

3. Whip the cream to stiff peaks. Gently, GENTLY, fold in the custard you made until smooth. Don't deflate it, you have to be very slow and delicate. Pour into an airtight container and freeze for at least 3 hours. Eat a whole bowl shamelessly.

FLAVOR NOTES: I used 1/4 cup of scotch, Laproigh 10-year to be precise, because my boyfriend loooooves scotch and I thought it would be interesting. It's HELLA SCOTCHY so if you might want to tone it down to 3 tbsp or so, but if you love scotch, this is amazing. In the future, I plan on cold-steeping the heavy cream with chai overnight before whipping the cream to fold in with the custard. Or maybe earl gray and lavender. Or Parmesan (yes, that is a real flavor and it's GOOD, like cheesecake). The options are limitless. I'm so excited.

Archived