IGNORED

Bates 25: Moving The Kids Out of the House

Coconut Flan

It was on their original blog. He was a young teen but the younger boys got to play cowboy there too. 

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was back when Lawson regularly did this sort of a thing. The horses were bought for him to use as props for his cowboy pictures and movies. 

tumblr_mqflbyH9ud1r8mb1io2_400.jpg

Parts of their original blog are saved in the wayback machine. There is a thread around here somewhere about it. A lot of the things are in the comments and there are hundreds of those! Kelly changed the story about the horses, but in comments in the original blog she states the horses were bought for Lawson to use for his cowboy movies. They really catered to Lawson. 

On 9/13/2018 at 3:32 AM, TeaELSee said:

That is a huge expense for one kid out of 19.

He was the main provider at home: he fed his siblings, he helped them to pay tuition, etc. So despite it is unfair to buy expensive whims for 1 child while the other 18 are receiving nothing, at least he earned that money.

Regarding Alyssa- what was it that she told her grandma Jane about getting pregnant again during the Thanksgiving episode? Can’t remember. I’ll take it with a grain of salt but I’m just curious what was said. All I remember is her saying that more daughters=drama. 

Was Lawson already supporting the family while he was still playing dress up? When I think about the psychological damage done to him...

3 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

Was Lawson already supporting the family while he was still playing dress up? When I think about the psychological damage done to him...

He was like 13 or 14 when he was supporting the family. I suppose Gil was providing something too, but it is really sad how Bates FOOD supply relied in a teenager's incoming. And it's incredible that Kelly and Gil didn't hide it. I mean, they clearly showed that the parents were unable to feed their kids and were getting pregnant again!!!

7 hours ago, mstee said:

Regarding Alyssa- what was it that she told her grandma Jane about getting pregnant again during the Thanksgiving episode? Can’t remember. I’ll take it with a grain of salt but I’m just curious what was said. All I remember is her saying that more daughters=drama. 

She said that if #4 is a girl, she's stopping having kids, because girls are too dramatic. 

6 hours ago, JillyO said:

How does the same family who cannot afford food for their too-many blessings have money left over for horses? Those aren't exactly cheap.

Those horses looked old or starving or both. I bet they were dirty cheap or even "adopted" and they probably mostly ate grass from Bates lawn. While having horses may have been an expense for Bates, I bet it wasn't the high amount one can imagine.

There was a lot of outrage when TLC first showed the horses and the Bates riding on them. They edited them out of the episodes when they were replayed. It wasn't just discussed here, it was talked about in lots of places because the horses looked so bad and they were putting riders on them. I don't think taking proper care of animals is a high priority for the Bates. 

Off topic. Is anyone from the area where the Bates live?  

After watching the scenery I booked a cabin in Gatlinburg late October, no I’m not going to look for the Bates!  Does anyone have insider ideas on what to do and where to go?  We are not going to Dollywood, but we are going to do the tram and coaster ride in Gatlinburg. 

I’m looking for more outside the box stuff! 

@TeaELSee Fun! I enjoy the scenery when i catch the odd Bates episode.

To be honest, I would also enjoy Dollywood. (I was rather upset when the Duggars met her and had no clue who she was) Great lady.

1 hour ago, AliceInFundyland said:

To be honest, I would also enjoy Dollywood. (I was rather upset when the Duggars met her and had no clue who she was) Great lady.

I love Dolly too, she is an incredible woman. My husband stated before We booked the trip that he does not want to go there. I’m fine with it because I don’t recall going to a theme park outside of Orlando on vacation before. 

2 minutes ago, TeaELSee said:

I love Dolly too, she is an incredible woman. My husband stated before We booked the trip that he does not want to go there. I’m fine with it because I don’t recall going to a theme park outside of Orlando on vacation before. 

It’s definitely important that all parties be on the same page. Especially with silly or kitschy type outings like that. I like everything on vacations. (I don’t get to go out much :) ) Nature, Touristy stuff, culture. Most important to me is that all parties are agreeing about what to do or not to do. Like, if someone needs to hurl themselves up and do something at 6 am, okay, great, I will meet you at 10. 

I might take a trip with someone I haven’t met in person sometime in the next year. It is a very strange idea.

@TeaELSee that should be a beautiful time of year. We’ve gone a few times and have loved TN. I’d recommend a drive up the Blue Ridge Parkway. You can also do some hiking in that area. The scenery is gorgeous. Also there is the Lost Sea cave, which is south of where you’ll be. It’s a bit touristy but I really enjoyed the tour and history of the cave. And you get to take a boat in the cave on a lake. 

15 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

Off topic. Is anyone from the area where the Bates live?  

After watching the scenery I booked a cabin in Gatlinburg late October, no I’m not going to look for the Bates!  Does anyone have insider ideas on what to do and where to go?  We are not going to Dollywood, but we are going to do the tram and coaster ride in Gatlinburg. 

I’m looking for more outside the box stuff! 

If you're going for "scenery" skip all the tourist crap in Gatlinburg and go enjoy the beautiful national park, Great Smoky Mountains. 

As the great Bill Bryson writes in A Walk in the Woods:

"Gatlinburg is a shock to the system from whichever angle you survey it, but never more so than when you descend upon it from a spell of moist, grubby isolation in the woods. It sits just outside the main entrance to Great Smoky Mountains National Park and specializes in providing all those things that the park does not-- principally, slurpy food, motels, gift shops, and sidewalks on which to waddle and dawdle--nearly all of it strewn along a single, astoundingly ugly main street. For years it has prospered on the confident understanding that when Americans load up their cars and drive enormous distances to a setting of rare natural splendor what most of them want when they get there is to play a little miniature golf and eat dribbly food. Great Smoky Mountains National Park is the most popular national park in America, but Gatlinburg--this is so unbelievable--is more popular than the park."

If you do any of the more Dollywood type stuff, go to the Celebration Dinner and not the Dixie Stampede. The Celebration show is so much better IMO. 

Gatlinburg seems to repeat itself if you walk the whole main street. You pass a store that only sells socks, a store that sells moonshine, a store that sells candy, a store that sells hats, and then it seems like you are back at  the exact same sock store and it starts all over again. 

On 9/14/2018 at 3:08 PM, Melissa1977 said:

She said that if #4 is a girl, she's stopping having kids, because girls are too dramatic. 

Because the ONLY thing fundamentalists hate more than birth control is women!

Does anyone know how much the Bates get paid by UP?  I wonder if it is an unusual business relationship since they simultaneously promote businesses within their show, AARP and Cracker Barrel are two I recall.  

I also noticed that unless you subscribe to Up Faith and Family, which costs extra beyond just “Up”, you cannot watch any of their shows on demand.  I don’t think many people would pay an extra 10 a month for that channel, but then again I never thought Trump would be our president.

Tonight the show was sponsored by Honey Nut Cheerios, Zach and Whitney did a whole commercial during the show. It was very weird and obvious.

1 hour ago, TeaELSee said:

Tonight the show was sponsored by Honey Nut Cheerios, Zach and Whitney did a whole commercial during the show. It was very weird and obvious.

Yes, it was awful. Zach claimed that when he was growing up his parents always bought off-brand, except for Honey Nut Cheerios.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived