IGNORED

Kelly Reins, SAHD *and* TV critic!

Marian the Librarian

And we thought those aging SAHDs just sat around the house all day, sipping tea and knitting. Not so! From Kelly's public FB page (SOTDRT spelling errors left intact):

I just finished the second episode of Pioneer Quest which follows "...two couples as they assume the lives of early settlers to the West spending a year living as 1870s pioneers. Using only the resources and tools of the period, they will attempt to build homes, raise livestock, hunt and grow crops. No running water. No electricity. No modern conveniences." The first episode ended with a disppointing situation which required one of the couples to back out of the quest. The replacement couple however brings to the show a christian ethic and to my delight as the older woman who has lead the life of a traditional woman, by example, disciples the younger who makes the honest profession that men and women aren't equal by virtue of the fact that God created them differently. The influenceon everyone of the older man and his Christian vision is very evident, but especially on the younger husband. The episode begins with a lot of self-righteous complaining and condescendig speech and ends with a young humbled husband praising the virtues of his wife's dedication and hardwork. There is a particular scene when the young wife's boot is caught in the mudd as she works along side the older couple. The older husband dashes to catch her and goes so far as to put her boot back on her foot. He has a vision for manhood as well as womanhood and it's evident in how he treats his wife. Notably there is a change in the interest in prayer and scripture reading as well. The episode ends with a Sunday service with all gathered around reading scripture and singing. Will Christian attitudes and perspectives win out?

Comment from Lori Alexander: 

I love finding good, wholesome shows. Thank you! Doctor Thorne on Amazon is great also and it's free on Amazon Prime.

Response from Kelly: 

I just finished ep. 3 there's some indiscreet conversation that really should have been left out as well as some running around in underwear shorts. Not as modest as I would prefer.

And, finally:

Well, I'm not done yet but my conclusion is it has far too much of a reality tv show feel. Too much unnecessary crassness that really could have been edited out.

Mercy, mercy, mercy! Self-righteous complaining! Indiscreet conversation! Unnecessary crassness! Underwear shorts!!! What, I ask you, is this world coming to? I'm shocked - SHOCKED - that a 39 year-old stay-at-home-daughter would be allowed to watch such filth.

• Upvote 21

Never has the acronym "SAHD" been more apt.

I just don't even know where to begin with this mess. Her life is so pathetic and dysfunctional. The bitterness oozes out of every pore. Really, she is filled with so much rage, and not at liberals and Marxists and feminists, whether she consciously realizes that or not. She is angry at her father and everyone else who brainwashed her into this lonely, isolated existence, but cannot even express it. 

• Upvote 17

Oh no she is NOT bashing Pioneer Quest! It is the most fucking awesome go live in the past reality television shows EVER! This show is about as real as it is going to get. If you read articles about it, while they did sit and talk to the people and ask questions about how things are going, they never had them pose or go do anything for the camera. A lot of the filming is done by the four people. 

If you haven't watched it, go do it. And yes, both couples discuss their sex lives, both women end up wandering around in pants and underwear and the older woman goes hunting, kills and butchers animals. There are also times when the men come back to get the women to help them with the hay because they found out that they couldn't do it alone. The older woman also has to make it on her own for a bit with her husband ends up in the hospital. 

The older couple at one point does violate the rules and cause problems because they really, really like the Christian Hutterite community that is near by and they keep inviting all the people to come over and help them do stuff. It ends up with a revolving door of visitors when they are supposed to be living like pioneers. 

• Upvote 8

Tallying up here:

1. 39 years old 
  2. Never married in a cult where ONLY marriage counts for women 
  3. No job or career or prospects of any such thing
  4. Sitting around at home, reviewing TV shows, carrying out the occasional backyard sewer rehab project

Ah the Life... indeed. Seriously, this is God's best for the faithful SAHD?

• Upvote 11

This commentary sincerely makes me sad for her. WTF? She watches a television show and gets her hopes up that it is all fundie Christian, then when it's not, she expresses her disappointment.

Duh. She really is a dim bulb, isn't she.

• Upvote 3

I just had an idea. The next time I watch something on television I am going to view it through the very narrow eyes of my own personal life/choices/convictions/beliefs. That is the only way to judge its worth, right? I'm actually kind of excited about this because I watch very little television, but I definitely get my Netflix binge on and I am counting the days until Orange is the New Black. I think that will be a totally fun one to filter through a narrow vision.

21 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Tallying up here:

1. 39 years old 
  2. Never married in a cult where ONLY marriage counts for women 
  3. No job or career or prospects of any such thing
  4. Sitting around at home, reviewing TV shows, carrying out the occasional backyard sewer rehab project

Ah the Life... indeed. Seriously, this is God's best for the faithful SAHD?

Another MLM product! Plexus!  It's awesome!  It will make you healthy AND increase your income! Eleventy! 1!!1!.  And NutraMedix.....stuff, but I'm pretty sure essential oils are involved.  

Kelly has Lyme Disease, which I wouldn't wish on anyone.  It can be debilitating.  Interesting that she is convinced that she caught Lyme Disease through a mosquito bite.  CDC says it is only  transmitted through tick bites, but some other seemingly credible sources are confirming other routes of transmission (mosquitoes, biting flies) may be implicated.  Go here to this Australian site on Lyme Disease and click on "Modes Other than Ticks".  They give a brief list of research articles that implicate insects as carriers.  

This also made me aware that Lyme Disease is present in other parts of the world, and not just North America. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Howl said:

Another MLM product! Plexus!  It's awesome!  It will make you healthy AND increase your income! Eleventy! 1!!1!.  And NutraMedix.....stuff, but I'm pretty sure essential oils are involved.  

Forgot about the MLM stuff. Of course that's as good as a profession any day of the week.

1 minute ago, Howl said:

Kelly has Lyme Disease, which I wouldn't wish on anyone.  It can be debilitating.  Interesting that she is convinced that she caught Lyme Disease through a mosquito bite.  CDC says it is only  transmitted through tick bites, but some other seemingly credible sources are confirming other routes of transmission (mosquitoes, biting flies) may be implicated.  Go here to this Australian site on Lyme Disease and click on "Modes Other than Ticks".  They give a brief list of research articles that implicate insects as carriers.  

I didn't know this and it makes a difference. You're right -- Lyme Disease is very debilitating, especially when it isn't recognized ASAP, which often happens. We have a cousin who had it, undiagnosed for months, and it pretty much made her bed-ridden. 

My apologies for snarking on Kelly's apparent lack of energy -- wouldn't have done so in light of that knowledge.

• Upvote 4

I didn't know she had Lyme Disease, either. That's horrible, and I truly wish her a successful recovery. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Sitting around at home, reviewing TV shows, carrying out the occasional backyard sewer rehab project

....so is she going to go help out the nauglers? They need a sewer rehab done on the cheap! :D

• Upvote 3

I just finished the second episode of Pioneer Quest, which follows two couples as they assume the lives of early settlers to the West, spending a year living as 1870's-era pioneers. Using only the resources and tools of the period, they attempt to build homes, raise livestock, and hunt and grow crops. There is no running water, electricity, or other modern conveniences. The first episode, entitled "The Dream," ended in disppointment, requiring one of the couples to back out of the quest. To my delight, the replacement (elderly) couple brings to the show a christian ethic. The wife of the pair has lead a "traditional" life and by example, disciples the wife of the younger couple. It is this (older) woman who proclaims that men and women are not equal, because God created them differently. Her husband's Christian influence is very evident, but most particularly upon the husband of the younger couple. The episode begins with many condescending arguments, and ends with a young, humbled husband who praises the virtues of his wife's dedication and hard work. There is a scene where the young wife's boot is caught in the mud as she works alongside the older couple. The older husband dashes to catch her and goes so far as to put her boot back on her foot. He has a vision for manhood as well as womanhood, and it's evident in how he treats his wife. Notably, there is an increased interest in prayer and scripture-reading. The episode ends with a Sunday service, where they all gather together reading scripture and singing. Will Christian attitudes and perspectives win out?  

Fixed all that for her. Although it's possible I missed a few things.

I enjoy the fact that her Blogger profile lists her occupation as "professional daughter." Also apparently I missed the day where Starbucks was promoting sodomy on their cups?  :pb_lol: 

The tag cloud on the side of the blog includes one on the cost of delaying marriage. I'm mystified at finding that tag on the blog of someone who's a SAHD well into her 30's (well, the posts under that tag go back almost 10 years). If early marriage is the goal of their beliefs, wouldn't someone who's allegedly happily a SAHD in their late 30's be considered a failure? Especially with the emphasis on having as many kids as God wants -- wouldn't waiting to marry till very late be almost like a form of birth control to them?

Are there any complex fundie explanations for why SAHD's in their late 20's/early 30's are a good idea? Or is it just accepted simply because at least they're not engaging in worldly things like dating or having a job? 

• Upvote 7

I don't follow this blogger and don't know hardly anything about her... but after just what i read in the top post, I was surprised to hear she is 39 (would have guessed early 20s AT BEST). SOTDRT indeed! I haven't clicked over to the blog yet,  but I'm already sad for this person. The purity/SAHD movement is not doing these "girls" any favors. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, December said:

Are there any complex fundie explanations for why SAHD's in their late 20's/early 30's are a good idea? Or is it just accepted simply because at least they're not engaging in worldly things like dating or having a job? 

If there are, I haven't heard any plausible ones. The Botkins have been very quiet lately, haven't they? Especially when you consider the impact of their books, So Much More and It's Really Not That Complicated. I remember So Much More being a big thing at our ex-church. Everyone who was anyone was reading it.

I heard Elisabeth Elliott quote Gladys Aylward once, on the topic of her not getting married. Gladys said something about God having had her husband all picked out, but he was "disobedient" and didn't go off to China, where Gladys was a missionary. And that's why she never got married.

I think I overheard the elders at our ex-church talking about this one time. What I remember had something to do with it being the girls' fathers fault (ETA other fathers, of course, not those elders) for not getting out there and being actively proactive about finding husbands for their daughters. Interestingly enough, I hear (ah, yes, evil gossip) that the aging SAHDs of two of those men still have no marriage prospects on the horizon. Poor young women... and incredible irony.

Edited by refugee
clarification
  • Upvote 3

We have discussed them before...I think it is a scary picture of how deep this movement gets entrenched in these people.  In their minds I think yes, it is better to be "faithful" to God than god forbid date, work outside the home, get an education, etc.....Those two sisters are so angry and their bitterness just seethes through their writing....What i want to know is how do they think this will play out? If all three sisters stay unmarried then I hope daddy has a good life insurance policy so they can continue their SAHD lifestyle.

• Upvote 5

Back in 2007 Kelly posted an article which examined the costs of delaying marriage.  Basically women who delayed marriage were evil feminists who wanted careers.  The patriarchal movement has delayed marriage for many of their daughters, the Botkinettes, Maxwell sisters, Sara Malley come to mind.  The idea that Daddy is God's conduit to choose a godly husband for their daughters, has resulted in high costs for these women.  They are dependent on male relatives for survival if/when Daddy dies.

• Upvote 9

She's updated her FB page (https://www.facebook.com/kreins?fref=ts):

Update: The feminist attitudes of the young wife are distateful. Just one edifying word from her about her husband would be a breath of fresh air. They have very egalitarian attitude about their relationship even though she's doing woman's work and he's doing a fine job filling his role. She never misses an opportunity to tease him in an embarrassing, belittling, way. ‪#‎bleh‬

Re: the Lyme disease - I would never wish ill health on anyone, and I'm sorry she has it. But I don't think chronic illness grants a license for patriarchal fundamentalist WTF-ery, and that's how these FB posts come across to me. People I've known who are making their way through life with various and sundry limitations and disabilities don't act this way. Sorry if that sounds harsh - just my opinion. (Getting down from soapbox now.)

• Upvote 9

7 hours ago, December said:

The tag cloud on the side of the blog includes one on the cost of delaying marriage. I'm mystified at finding that tag on the blog of someone who's a SAHD well into her 30's (well, the posts under that tag go back almost 10 years). If early marriage is the goal of their beliefs, wouldn't someone who's allegedly happily a SAHD in their late 30's be considered a failure? Especially with the emphasis on having as many kids as God wants -- wouldn't waiting to marry till very late be almost like a form of birth control to them?

I think a lot of those girls are sad and feel left behind by the system, and probably a little mystified by why their being "good" girls didn't work out with the perfect ending, but a lot of the accept it as "God's will" not realizing that they are being manipulated and used by misguided, or worse, parents.

• Upvote 9

7 hours ago, December said:

I enjoy the fact that her Blogger profile lists her occupation as "professional daughter." Also apparently I missed the day where Starbucks was promoting sodomy on their cups?  :pb_lol: 

It's never been explained outright but in my decade (!) of observation, it seems the 20-something SAHD provides a lot of unpaid household and family support for a low-energy or overwhelmed mother of many who's entering her late 40s/early 50s with grade schoolers and possibly even a few preschoolers under roof. (Why yes, I *am* pretty sour about what I've seen chronicled.)

• Upvote 8

1 minute ago, MamaJunebug said:

It's never been explained outright but in my decade (!) of observation, it seems the 20-something SAHD provides a lot of unpaid household and family support for a low-energy or overwhelmed mother of many who's entering her late 40s/early 50s with grade schoolers and possibly even a few preschoolers under roof. (Why yes, I *am* pretty sour about what I've seen chronicled.)

It's not just that, though. There are plenty of examples of older daughters still at home that don't have a ton of younger siblings who need help.

• Upvote 2

Haha, reminds me of a blog I happened across and they had reviewed my fave Netflix show Dragons:Race to the edge. The mom said she thought it was highly inappropriate for (specifically) Astrid and Ruffnut (oh no! How will Astrid learn to cook, clean, and how to set a table?! :my_rolleyes:) to be living away from their home and then the whole usual spiel about how pagans are ebil ebil people and that the Vikings were horrible people who killed Christians. -.-  *Not like the wholesome Christians ever slaughtered people?

I found all of it laughable, just a good time. I couldn't count how many times she kept saying their dad is unsaved and lets the boys watch it, otherwise she wouldn't have Netflix in the home. Haha, that Submission really bites one in the ass doesn't it? I spotted it a while back when I was looking for this one news article which was a review. I think the best fundie review I ever read was where one was actually criticizing God's not dead for being harsh to Athiests. :pearlclutching:

Glad this girl at least can do something considering she's 39?! Well she may be another Nancy Wogglemuth?

15 hours ago, fundiefan said:

This commentary sincerely makes me sad for her. WTF? She watches a television show and gets her hopes up that it is all fundie Christian, then when it's not, she expresses her disappointment.

Duh. She really is a dim bulb, isn't she.

I've seen fundies thinking watching Downton Abby was going to be just all Prim and Proper to find out they are more real and not that idealized version of the time that these people tout as being the ultimate godliness time. 

8 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

The feminist attitudes of the young wife are distateful. Just one edifying word from her about her husband would be a breath of fresh air. They have very egalitarian attitude about their relationship even though she's doing woman's work and he's doing a fine job filling his role. She never misses an opportunity to tease him in an embarrassing, belittling, way

Is she actually watching that show? In the first episode it is discussed how they chose the couples and they had to go through all sorts of tests to make sure that the couples got along well and could withstand the hardships. One of the things that made the young couple the top pick was how well they worked together and how they were able to take stressful situations and joke about them. They joke a lot when things are going bad, but I don't remember any point where they were belittling each other. 

She is going to do some pearl clutching when she gets to the episode where the younger guy gets poison ivy on his penis and both him and his wife laugh and laugh about it. Or the episode where the older guy says that if he can't shoot a deer he won't get any sex. Or the episode where they two women go hunting and kill a partridge for dinner. 

This show really shows the whole myth that women in the past sat around wearing white and looking pretty is false. They all had to work hard, very very hard. 

• Upvote 5