IGNORED

Kelly Reins, SAHD *and* TV critic!

Marian the Librarian

On 9 June 2016 at 9:58 PM, docmom said:

Not surprisingly, CDC is right.  It is only transmitted through tick bites.  There is literally no disease out there with more web-based disinformation than Lyme.

I suggest you do more research - as a Lyme sufferer who was infected by flea bites - check out the documentary Under Our Skin. Lyme is very political in the US and there is a lot of conflict of interest. I'm not from the US so I didn't really pay much attention to that part.

Edited by ChairmanMeow
Finish coffee before writing!
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HeadshipRegent said:

I loved that show! It's a british one, right? They also had to live in the Victorian and Edwardian eras, so interesting. 

Also, lmao @ SAHD and tv critic, if that's a job, I want it!

That's right, it was a British show. I think I found the right one just now -- I couldn't remember the name of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_1940s_House

I hadn't seen the Victorian or Edwardian shows. I bet those were interesting, too.

ETA: We just finished watching season one of HomeFires. Interesting show, set in Great Paxton in 1939-1940. That one was triggering, though -- one of the subplots is an abusive husband who is a real piece of work.

Edited by refugee

Thre have also been other programmes of a similar nature. Back in Time for Dinner was about meals and how they changed through the years, like with the introduction of the microwave etc. Each week represented a different decade- 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s. Back in Time for the Weekend is similar but more about leisure time and how that changed. One family each time had their house transformed and dressed in the style of the era- hair, makeup, everything. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Thre have also been other programmes of a similar nature. Back in Time for Dinner was about meals and how they changed through the years, like with the introduction of the microwave etc. Each week represented a different decade- 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s. Back in Time for the Weekend is similar but more about leisure time and how that changed. One family each time had their house transformed and dressed in the style of the era- hair, makeup, everything. 

I must look out for those, I love social history

1 minute ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

I must look out for those, I love social history

They're BBC productions so not sure about availability. Obviously it's more British than American, but I can't imagine there were huge differences.

• Upvote 2

I found Back In Time For Dinner on Youtube.  Very good!  I'd love to see an American version of that.  It might cut back on some of the food snobbery.

• Upvote 1

I am very up to date Chairman Meow, but thank you both for your concern that I may not be and the information you wanted to give me should I not be.  I've been following the Senate Enquiry into Lyme-like illness closely since its inception both personally and professionally, as has my headship though for different reasons.  I assure you it's a semi-frequent topic of conversation in Casa Jozina!

NATA and the RCPA have gone to great pains to point out the unknown significance of a positive test by a patient without potential overseas exposure to Lyme given the unknown causative bacterium in Australia for this Lyme-like illness, potential cross-reactivity of the assay with other spirochetes including those of the same genus in the human body and that the positive predictive value of such a test is so low given the situation here that false positives far outnumber true positives even if the disease did happen to exist here.  I wish you the very best for your health problems in the future; it must be a very difficult situation for you and I can imagine that reading comments about Lyme or Lyme-like illness could hit a nerve.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, jozina said:

I am very up to date Chairman Meow, but thank you both for your concern that I may not be and the information you wanted to give me should I not be.  I've been following the Senate Enquiry into Lyme-like illness closely since its inception both personally and professionally, as has my headship though for different reasons.  I assure you it's a semi-frequent topic of conversation in Casa Jozina!

NATA and the RCPA have gone to great pains to point out the unknown significance of a positive test by a patient without potential overseas exposure to Lyme given the unknown causative bacterium in Australia for this Lyme-like illness, potential cross-reactivity of the assay with other spirochetes including those of the same genus in the human body and that the positive predictive value of such a test is so low given the situation here that false positives far outnumber true positives even if the disease did happen to exist here.  I wish you the very best for your health problems in the future; it must be a very difficult situation for you and I can imagine that reading comments about Lyme or Lyme-like illness could hit a nerve.

I did specify Lyme or Lyme-like illness :kitty-wink:

It does hit a nerve especially considering my whole family has been diagnosed in different countries and by different doctors after a process of elimination of OTHER health problems. I cannot comment on people who have been diagnosed and not been overseas as this is not the case with myself or my family. We have been overseas to endemic countries.

I agree testing needs to be refined, I believe the Lyme community attracts many Munchausen/similarly afflicted mentally ill sufferers and I hate seeing people I care about being taken for a ride. The symptoms are easy to fake and I don't believe it's the answer to every single undiagnosed health issue like some sufferers do. Hell, some people think they are doing the world a favor by staying celibate because they think Lyme can be spread by saliva and sex. I just think thank the Lord their stupidity won't breed :giggle:

Thank you for your wishes, it is nice that while we disagree, you are informed and following the Senate inquiry. 

On 6/12/2016 at 11:48 PM, mango_fandango said:

You should check out Supersizers. It's a food history show covering really wide range time time periods, mostly in England, but there's a couple episodes about periods/places outside that. It's also absolutely hilarious. The whole series is available on Hulu-- the only downside is that there's just not enough of it. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/13/2016 at 1:03 AM, mango_fandango said:

They're BBC productions so not sure about availability. Obviously it's more British than American, but I can't imagine there were huge differences.

Though I'm in Canada..I'm British so even better for me!

12 hours ago, Shoobydoo said:

You should check out Supersizers. It's a food history show covering really wide range time time periods, mostly in England, but there's a couple episodes about periods/places outside that. It's also absolutely hilarious. The whole series is available on Hulu-- the only downside is that there's just not enough of it. 

I don't have Hulu..I'll have to see if it's available in Canada some other way..

I want to know why we don't get these awesome shows in Australia but we get the mind numbing Duggers and Bates instead!

• 3 weeks later...

Reading this made me so sad, and fills me with fear for Sarah maxwell, Addie and Jana. I feel like I've just glimpsed their bleak future. I really hope they get something better than this. This woman really puts the "sad" in sahd

• 5 years later...

Is this the most recent Reins thread? Looks like they've come down with COVID. Kelly's treating her parents with Ivermectin and vitamins, of course. It's not their fault-- some vaccinated person must have shed the virus all over them 🙄 

And of course she's still planning to get on a plane in a couple of days. Unclear if she herself has tested positive. 

Screenshot_20220111-123927_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220111-124000_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220111-124021_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220111-124154_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220111-124131_Facebook.jpg

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 1

So a naturopath instead of an MD. At least one thing is right, they seem to be past the point where science based interventions will help. 

• Upvote 2