IGNORED

Josie on tonight's episode

luckylibrarian

I don't want to Internet diagnose Josie, but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Josie's gagging problem. The speech language pathologist said that her mouth is very sensitive. Would that be a texture issue or something else?

She seemed to be doing really well. She's a cutie, especially when she talks. I loved watching her play with the boom.

My preemies had a mild gagging issue that resolved by 3-4 months and my nephew that was born at 31 weeks 22 years ago had a sever gagging problem until he was 2-3 years old. I am not a doctor so I can't give you medical reason of why but it seems really common in preemies. You know how you stick something too far back in your mouth and you gag? Well with a preemie that gag spot is much closer to the front of the mouth. I hope someone will be able to explain it better than I did.

I don't want to Internet diagnose Josie, but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Josie's gagging problem. The speech language pathologist said that her mouth is very sensitive. Would that be a texture issue or something else?

She seemed to be doing really well. She's a cutie, especially when she talks. I loved watching her play with the boom.

I could be abolsutely wrong and I'm by no means qualified in this area, but I suspect it's one of those things that goes along with being a preemie. I had a bad gag reflex until I was about 7 or 8. I couldn't swallow pills or vitamins even and had to have them mashed up in applesauce or jam when liquids weren't available. It's one of those things that becomes better over time. Now it's no longer a problem for me.

My preemies had a mild gagging issue that resolved by 3-4 months and my nephew that was born at 31 weeks 22 years ago had a sever gagging problem until he was 2-3 years old. I am not a doctor so I can't give you medical reason of why but it seems really common in preemies. You know how you stick something too far back in your mouth and you gag? Well with a preemie that gag spot is much closer to the front of the mouth. I hope someone will be able to explain it better than I did.

I still follow the blog of the young mother who prayed with Michelle on an episode when they were still in the NICU. Her baby is 3 months younger than Josie and is being introduced stuff like applesauce, etc. His gag reflex is poor and the doctors told her it was essentially because he had tubes down his throat for months until he could be put on O2. I imagine Josie's situation is the same; both babies were born at about the same gestational age.

It's very, very common for premies who have been on ventilators for a while to have oral sensitivity/aversion issues due to the prolonged intubation. These babies get a whole lot of negative stimulation to their mouth areas. Many NICUs will have occupational therapists working with these infants both before and after discharge to help lessen the oral sensitivity. I have no idea what kind of follow-up care Josie's gotten.

Josie's doctor said something about her having seizures and ear infections. Yet, those idiotic parents are now taking her to book signings.

Josie's doctor said something about her having seizures and ear infections. Yet, those idiotic parents are now taking her to book signings.

Sigh. They will never learn. Josie was supposed to be kept from crowds for the first 2 years of her life, but Gil and Kelly Bates and all of their sick kids were visiting around the holidays, and the trips started before she was even 18 months old. Of course, that might be 2 years in "Duggar time".

Sigh. They will never learn. Josie was supposed to be kept from crowds for the first 2 years of her life, but Gil and Kelly Bates and all of their sick kids were visiting around the holidays, and the trips started before she was even 18 months old. Of course, that might be 2 years in "Duggar time".

I bothers me that they seem to have a disregard for her safety and her life. Do they assume because they are "godly Christians" Jesus will keep her healthy?! How very Puritan. It's just insane.

I was not a premie but had several health issues as a baby. I was born with hydrocephalus (water on the brain) and other issues. I had a horrible time swallowing pills of any kind even with liquid for so many years. I would vomit every night without fail and had a collapsed lung which caused more problems. I think some kids are more sensitive than others.

Archived