IGNORED

Young VS model quits b/c body belongs to her husband

Cassia

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/fashionb ... 44133.html

Kylie Bisutti, a 21 year old who beat out 10,000 women in 2009 to win the Victoria's Secret Model Search, had decided to give up her coveted contract with VS because her body belongs to her husband. She was only married a few months before winning the contract and has since grown so much in her Christian faith and her relationship with God that she has just become "so convicted in wanting to honour her husband with her body." She claims her husband was so very supportive of her while she was modelling and that he let her grow and come to his decision on her own, but I call BS. She finds out after she quits that he was praying for her (probably for her soul) and that he was so, sooo thankful once she reached her decision.

Now she gives a second reason in the interview about why she quits, one I can get behind 100%. She was putting on her makeup and an 8 year old cousin was watching her. The little girl remarked, "You know, I think I wanna stop eating so that I can look like you." Kylie says she found this upsetting, because women shouldn't feel the need to lose weight in order to feel beautiful. And that young girls who look up to her shouldn't feel that being beautiful is an outer issue, when really it's a heart issue (her words). I wish that this was the reason she was giving - that she feels the need to fight what media views as beautiful, perfect, desirable, etc. But no, she talks about it for a moment and then jumps right back to discussing her husband and her faith.

I just hope her husband doesn't leave her someday as he is the reason why she just gave up a career where she could have (potentially) earned millions of dollars. I think one of the commenters hits the nail on the head: just go straight to a burqa...and put your free will in the drawer...

Ugghhh I really don't know what to feel about this.

I refuse to shop at VS because of its unrealistic body images. Someone like me could never be a model- Oh, I could lose 10 pounds and maybe I'd have a shot, but they'd have to Photoshop the living hell out of me before I could look how they want me to. Namely, my A-cup boobs. Most models are A or AA because they're so thin, so the VS ads? Pretty unrealistic. A-cups don't look like that.

So this particular model quits one form of sexist objectification for another. Fucking brilliant. Because being told you are worthless if someone else sees your body isn't objectification at all. In her case, the focus goes from her breasts to her hymen. What bullshit.

This just makes me sad....it just seems like she went from being what society wants (i.e. women should look like VS models to be considered beautiful- I know not everyone things that way but that is the image society is bombarded with in the media) to being what her husband wants (good little Christian submissive wife). I wonder if she has given any real consideration to what SHE wants. Nothing against either if that is what she truly wants, it just seems like she traded one set of expectations for another. And I find what that little 8-year old girl said heartbreaking. There is something seriously wrong with society when an 8-year-old is worried about being skinny. What makes me even more sad is that Kylie seems more concerned with honoring her husband with her body (that phrase really creeps me out) than with the fact that a child wanted to starve herself. I feel like I say this all the time but wtf is wrong with people?

I agree with you, Kitty - the VS model look is practically unattainable for the average woman. I'm 5'3 and I weigh between 130 and 135 on any given day. Am I fat? No. Will I ever be able to look like a VS model? Not in a million years. Because if you don't have the height, the hair, the face, you just can't compete with that sort of beauty ideal. But this one particualr girl, this lucky little thing, had it all. And it was what she WANTED, ever since she was 14 years old. She's been working towards this for the past 6 years. But all of a sudden, at the ripe old age of 20 or 21, she marries some blow hard, right wing Christian and decides to turn her back on dreams and throw away everything that she has accomplished.

So now, where is this headship of hers going to draw the line? What about the next time they find themselves on a beach vacation - is she going to be allowed to strut her stuff in a hot little two piece? Or will that not be 'husband honouring' enough for him? Because whether he likes it or not, with a body likes hers, people WILL be checking her out on the beach. So I'm just left wondering, what is acceptable for this young woman anymore?

Applying fundie logic (or lack thereof), isn't she a bit too late to "honor her husband with her body" by keeping it just for him? Photographs of her in lingerie and swimsuits have been printed in catalogs that are mailed out to millions of homes, and those same photographs (as well as probably video) will forever be all over the internet.

her husband was so very supportive of her while she was modelling and that he let her grow and come to his decision on her own

Very appropriate riffle.

Ugghhh I really don't know what to feel about this.

I refuse to shop at VS because of its unrealistic body images. Someone like me could never be a model- Oh, I could lose 10 pounds and maybe I'd have a shot, but they'd have to Photoshop the living hell out of me before I could look how they want me to. Namely, my A-cup boobs. Most models are A or AA because they're so thin, so the VS ads? Pretty unrealistic. A-cups don't look like that.

So this particular model quits one form of sexist objectification for another. Fucking brilliant. Because being told you are worthless if someone else sees your body isn't objectification at all. In her case, the focus goes from her breasts to her hymen. What bullshit.

Don't worry, I'm under 5 ft tall. I'll never be a model. Only a small %age of women have the body type. The models are naturally thin and long-legged and small cupped because of their body type. All large breasted, thin and tall models have implants. All women on magazines I have seen are so photoshopped they lack pores, but yet that is considered pretty. I know I have struggled with being self-conscious about my body because I am thin and short and single. Many women have issues with their body. Gain weight, lose weight, bigger breasts, taller, shorter, less blemishes, etc. There is this image of the perfect woman that is very unrealistic. Luckily, not all men are so shallow as to swallow it and believe it and many men are not looking for model perfect women anyway.

I think there is nothing wrong with her wanting to quit for her own convictions, but for her husband's? He married her knowing she was a model for VS. If he had an issue with it he shouldn't have wed her. Ugh.

As for the 8yo, it actually does not surprise me. I saw 7yos wanting to be "pretty" when I observed a 2nd grade classroom. Some of the girls already had a negative body image of themselves and it is terrible. I blame society's unrealistic standards for girls and young women.

I agree with you, Kitty - the VS model look is practically unattainable for the average woman. I'm 5'3 and I weigh between 130 and 135 on any given day. Am I fat? No. Will I ever be able to look like a VS model? Not in a million years. Because if you don't have the height, the hair, the face, you just can't compete with that sort of beauty ideal. But this one particualr girl, this lucky little thing, had it all. And it was what she WANTED, ever since she was 14 years old. She's been working towards this for the past 6 years. But all of a sudden, at the ripe old age of 20 or 21, she marries some blow hard, right wing Christian and decides to turn her back on dreams and throw away everything that she has accomplished.

So now, where is this headship of hers going to draw the line? What about the next time they find themselves on a beach vacation - is she going to be allowed to strut her stuff in a hot little two piece? Or will that not be 'husband honouring' enough for him? Because whether he likes it or not, with a body likes hers, people WILL be checking her out on the beach. So I'm just left wondering, what is acceptable for this young woman anymore?

I'm 5'3 too, but 105 lbs. I'm far from fat, but I'm nowhere near tall enough to be a model.

And I agree, she's throwing everything she accomplished away for some asshole.

Maybe she'll become a model for that type of swimsuit the Duggars wear.

Why are these people always "convicted" rather than "convinced"? Is it a fad like "gifted" rather than "given"? Or do I not know English as well as I think I do?

Why are these people always "convicted" rather than "convinced"? Is it a fad like "gifted" rather than "given"? Or do I not know English as well as I think I do?

The "gifting" thing drives me SO bonkers. Where the hell did that come from, anyway?!?! "Gift your family something they'll love this holiday" doesn't make SENSE. (Can you tell this bothers me a lot?)

I've seen Giselle Bundchen up close and she is no where near a classic beauty without makeup. She went through the TSA checkpoint when I was guarding the exit back about 4 years ago and she's got an angular face and quite prominent nose. She was dressed down, jeans and sweater, getting ready to go to Paris on Air France, and other than being tall she's not that good looking IMHO. She had these gorgeous boots that she had to jump up and down in to get on. Kind of takes away the "model mystique" right there.

The new VS models are obviously enhanced. No way those boobs fit into a B cup. Only thing I ever bought at VS was perfume and body soap. Never found anything that I could fit in. Their bras didn't go beyond a 38 and I hate underwires anyway.

This makes me sad both as a woman and the mother of a daughter.

Not that I'd ever be model material since I'm very short, but I don't think I could be married to someone who didn't want me to live out my dreams. And I agree that I hope that she isn't in for a divorce in years to come because of all she gave up.

I do like VS though - their bras are the most comfortable and well fitting that I've found for me.

Pity, she's giving up an extremely lucrative job. I mean, it's her right to do as she wants, but I've gotta say, ditching your VS model job for a reason like that is a waste. If I was in a job that offered me that kind of money, you'd pry that contract out of my cold dead hands.

Her husband is big into the ACN scam - it's supposedly a telecommunications network, but it's really just a pyramid scheme. Much fundie involvement because you work from home and away from all the terrible terrible influences of the World. He's convicted about scamming people, but he's not okay with her wearing a bikini? I just don't get these people. He's clearly a lot older than she is too. Here he is:

http://www.acninc.com/acn/us/acn-mike-bisutti.html

The way I read it is that she's got a kid and she's ready to retire. Which is fine. But the whole song and dance about her body blah de blah - please, hun. Your wedding dress looked like a stripper gown [scroll]

http://chrisschmittblog.com/wp-content/ ... azine3.jpg

I agree with everyone above- this woman is simply trading in one form objectification for another. At least when she modeled, she was doing so because she chose to, and she had control over her actions and her own body.

As for the skinny girls w/ huge boobs look, they pull that off by having models wear bras that are several sizes too small, and stuffing the cups as full as possible. Put a 36B woman in a 32A bra, and her boobs will look massive. Often, bras can't even close in the back, so they're fastened with huge metal clips. Tons of fashion shoots do crap like this.

I agree with everyone above- this woman is simply trading in one form objectification for another. At least when she modeled, she was doing so because she chose to, and she had control over her actions and her own body.

As for the skinny girls w/ huge boobs look, they pull that off by having models wear bras that are several sizes too small, and stuffing the cups as full as possible. Put a 36B woman in a 32A bra, and her boobs will look massive. Often, bras can't even close in the back, so they're fastened with huge metal clips. Tons of fashion shoots do crap like this.

Playboy bunnies used rolled up tube socks in their outfits.

....Yeah, that's one of the only things I remember from when I watched The Girls Next Door (when Holly had a bunny suit for her).

Anyways, don't most fashion shoots also use the clips on tops, dresses and pants as well? I vaguely remember some news thing (20/20) doing something on that. You can sometimes see it in department stores: they use clips and pins to make stuff look good on the mannequins.

Her husband is big into the ACN scam - it's supposedly a telecommunications network, but it's really just a pyramid scheme. Much fundie involvement because you work from home and away from all the terrible terrible influences of the World. He's convicted about scamming people, but he's not okay with her wearing a bikini? I just don't get these people. He's clearly a lot older than she is too. Here he is:

http://www.acninc.com/acn/us/acn-mike-bisutti.html

The way I read it is that she's got a kid and she's ready to retire. Which is fine. But the whole song and dance about her body blah de blah - please, hun. Your wedding dress looked like a stripper gown [scroll]

http://chrisschmittblog.com/wp-content/ ... azine3.jpg

I like that dress....I have one in black (with a knee length skirt) that has a similar shape (doesn't dip that far down...but is definitely halter v-neck) for when I get dragged to events that require a LBD.

I don't like that you can totally see her crotch. I don't know if that's because of how it's draping as she walks, is just that transparent, or because my mind lives in the gutter. Either way, photoshop fail.

In a way, I can understand how she feels. I think. I dressed pretty provocatively in my younger years, not slutty, but not giving a second thought to wearing daisy dukes and crop tops. When I got married at 21, I just didn't feel right having guys oogle me, so I toned it down. I wanted to save my butt cheeks for my hubby. :D

She's not a VS "angel" so she was never making a tone of money. And this whole thing has given her way more press then winning the contest did. I think it's a PR stunt tbh!

It may be quoting her religion was th eonly ay to dump her VS contract , most modeling contracts are pretty tight. Also the change in her from 14 to when she won the competition shows me she didnt win it on her own she changed her look radically! I do know a model who, when she was trying to break into modeling was required to lie about her age in order to get a contract! Also the girl had a serious set of Abs and was told constantly to lose weight because her numbers looked"high" She ended up making her own way with an agency that was willing to work with her on her terms. She has done quite well. But the world of high fashion modeling is not a nice place.

I've seen Giselle Bundchen up close and she is no where near a classic beauty without makeup. She went through the TSA checkpoint when I was guarding the exit back about 4 years ago and she's got an angular face and quite prominent nose. She was dressed down, jeans and sweater, getting ready to go to Paris on Air France, and other than being tall she's not that good looking IMHO. She had these gorgeous boots that she had to jump up and down in to get on. Kind of takes away the "model mystique" right there.

The new VS models are obviously enhanced. No way those boobs fit into a B cup. Only thing I ever bought at VS was perfume and body soap. Never found anything that I could fit in. Their bras didn't go beyond a 38 and I hate underwires anyway.

I never got Giselle's appeal. I don't think she has an attractive face. It's very hard and plain looking. Plus, her hair is always so lank and stringy.

Then again I recall the supermodel days from the 1990s-Cindy Crawford, Linda Evangelista, Christy Turlington, Naomi Campbell, Claudia Schiffer, etc. These women had gorgeous figures and faces.

But one of my favorite models is Ines de la Fressange who modeled for Chanel back in the 1980s.

ines+18.jpg

On-topic: I don't think this model is all that, and I can't imagine her making a big splash in the modeling world. There is something cheap looking about her.

But the folks at Traditional Christianity think she's just peachy because she's no longer slut for parading around in lingerie.

http://traditionalchristianityDOTwordpr ... r-modesty/

Given how small-breasted models tend to be, I'm actually find of curious as to how small the bras they're wearing are. Photoshop still goes a looooong way toward that look.

Damn, she could have waited a bit, the time to gather a bit of $$...Her loss.

re: VS, the one VS model I find really gorgeous is Miranda Kerr. She's also married to Orlando Bloom, lucky her! Oh and their baby boy is soooo cute!

That reminds me of the whole Heidi Klum-Karl Lagerfeld snaffu a few yrs back: Lagerfeld told a German magazine that in the high-end modeling world Klum's reputation is not "all that" because she barely did any high-end fashio runways shows in Paris or Milan. He said that Claudia Schiffer never even met her. He also called her "heavy", to which I reply that if in his mind H.Klum is "heavy" most women are "heavy" too. But then haute couture designers have this weird idea about the ideal female shape...

Having once been tall and thin I can state that a lot of things taste better than thin feels. Too many of them... thanks to some combination of chocolate, prescription medication, birth control, genetics, getting older, and just plain laziness, I am far from thin anymore. Strangely, Mr. Evil seems to love me anyway... maybe I should have his eyes checked.

Archived