IGNORED

Have the Bates ever been on TV other than 17KAC

Daenerys

Just wondering if there was any other features/interviews/docu segments on them other than the 17KAC special. It would be interesting to see them on their own, as such.

I just sat through this entire show. Kelly is a moron.

My favorite part is when the interviewer is asking about the childrens' activities at the Big Sandy conference. She noticed the boys get to go repelling and hiking while the girls are singing songs about housework. She noted that it did not seem fair and wondered if the girls ever got to do what the boys did. Kelly fake laughs and says something to the effect of "we'll have to see about that." Of course, we all know behind that smile is the belief that girls are to do no such thing.

I do not care for the Bates any more than I care for the Duggars.

They were on a recent Duggar episode (I think it was recent) where one of their sons's went courting. I don't know I think Kelly was pregnant with #19 then. The Duggar's were all there and everyone lined up in front of the new house the Duggar's gave them and they all sang about being the wretches they are. They're proud to be wretches. The episode also showed their poor starving horses being ridden by the wretches themselves. You'd have to be a wretch like them to ride a starving horse.

If you want to know what the Duggars would be without the cameras on, just look at the Bates Family.

If you want to know what the Duggars would be without the cameras on, just look at the Bates Family.

Yup, they would be like the Bates family. Without TLC, the Duggars would still be depending on handouts from people. After the Primetime special, a lot of people on ABC's site defended the Bateses with the usual "they don't take government assistance" excuse. I think Bateses are worse in some ways than people on government assistance. Many only go on government assistance when they truly need it and they don't keep popping out kids like crazy. The Bateses depend a lot on the charity of others and that is only going to continue for the next 18 years or more depending on if Kelly gets pregnant and carries to term after this baby.

How the hell did they manage to build that huge house? Did Lawson come up with the financing?

The Duggars did it. They got quite a few donations for the rennovation, too.

I want to know what the Duggars were thinking. On the surface, it was a very kind gesture. But they didn't stop to think "Hmm, how will our friends, who get their prenatal care for free and rely on their children to pay for food, be able to pay for heating, cooling, electricity, gas, etc. for a house 3 times the size of the one they have?" ???!!? Seriously, what were they thinking? (the "Sassy Gay Friend" line just popped into my head, haha! WHAT, WHAT, WHAAAT are you doing?!")

The Duggars did it. They got quite a few donations for the rennovation, too.

I want to know what the Duggars were thinking. On the surface, it was a very kind gesture. But they didn't stop to think "Hmm, how will our friends, who get their prenatal care for free and rely on their children to pay for food, be able to pay for heating, cooling, electricity, gas, etc. for a house 3 times the size of the one they have?" ???!!? Seriously, what were they thinking? (the "Sassy Gay Friend" line just popped into my head, haha! WHAT, WHAT, WHAAAT are you doing?!")

No I mean how did they afford the materials? I know the duggars helped with some construction. But all that shit cost money. Lawson can't possibly be that successful.

Probably a combination of the Duggars & Wilsons (tax write-off!), TLC, and donations.

I've been noticing how many of these big xtian families put their hands out to beg when they need to build a 5k square foot house for their quiverfull. Josiahs parents were proud that their place only cosk 56k because everything else was 'donated'.

Yeah I remember they said they had a lot of donations and discounts for the materials (and labour) on the house, the doors were donated, so were the floors, and I remember Kelly said the church paid for the painting etc....

So yeah lots of donations!!!

Here is a full list of acknowledgements on their website about the house revamp:

http://gilbatesfamily.com/special-thanks/

Special Acknowledgments

DUGGAR FAMILY – the special friends who began this incredible project of labor and love!

RUSTY CORNETT (Clinton, TN.)- Our master designer and chief builder! Rusty does it all – from drawings to framing to trim work and everything in between… He has been the brain and the brawn!

CLARK WILSON FAMILY (Magnolia, MS) – Co-designer and fellow laborers!

JOEL AND BETH PIPER OF KNOX RAIL SALVAGE (Knoxville, TN) – Donated a beautiful $1500 solid oak door and 4 tub/shower combos. Also provided unbeatable prices on interior and exterior doors, flooring, wainscot, trim, and many other building supplies.

MATT TINDELL AND STEVE BACHELOR OF TINDELL’S LUMBER CO. (Lafollette and Knoxville, TN)- Provided engineering advice, trusses, and most other building materials at HUGE discounts and PROMPT timing!

TIM HODGES, TRACY BERRY, AND DAVID WILLIAMS OF LOWE’S (Lafollette, TN.)- Provided numerous discounts on appliances, building materials, metal roofing, and many other supplies. Also donated many faucet fixtures.

JOHNNY PATTERSON AND DEREK HAUN OF PATTERSON EXCAVATING (Lake City, TN.)- Voluntarily performed massive excavation work, dug footers, and provided machinery and labor.

RONNIE SITLER AND JAMIE DAVIS OF CREATIVE RESTORATION AND FLOORING (Kingston, TN) – Donated most of the tile and wood flooring and labor.

POWELL CLINCH UTILITY (Lake City, TN.)- There are too many workers to name individually, but we are grateful for the 2 months that workers labored in and outdoors to bring gas and water lines to our home. All supplies and labor was donated, in addition to 2 instant tankless water heaters!

KERRY AND KATHY BOLTON (Knoxville, TN.)- Donated labor to help with our electrical needs, including problem solving to correct blunders we made along the way!

BILL BUCHANAN OF HILANDER RAILING (Atlanta, GA.)- Donated, delivered, and installed all porch railing!

MICHAEL DEMPSTER OF DEMPSTER’S POURED FOUNDATIONS (Knoxville, TN.)- Donated labor, work crew, machinery, and advice.

ERIC AND JIM RISDEN OF RISDEN CUSTOM CABINETS (Clinton, TN.)- Built and installed gorgeous custom kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanities at incredible rates and deadlines.

DAVID STEVENS OF CONTRACT SURPLUS (Knoxville, TN.)- Provided tremendous window discounts- which is why we have so many!

JEFF CONNELL OF CONNELL PLUMBING (Clinton, TN.)- Provided discount plumbing.

MARK REYNOLDS OF CONNELL HVAC (Clinton, TN.)- Provided discount heat and air.

RICK KELLY OF KNOX DRYWALL (Knoxville, TN.)- Provided discount drywall service.

RICK SHUBERT OF UNIQUE STONE SOLUTIONS (Clinton, TN.)- Formed and installed fireplace stone at great discount.

STILL WATERS BAPTIST CHURCH (Knoxville, TN.)- Our sweet home church family donated all paint!

MIKE AND BRENDA LAWSON (Briceville, TN.)- Painted at discount rate.

BRUCE VANCE (Heiskell, TN.)- Donated crushed ice maker.

TREA BYRGE AND FAMILY (Lafollette,TN.)- Donated wood stove.

CHARLIE’S PIZZA (Lafollette, TN) – Donated commercial dishwasher.

RONNIE NELSON OF NELSON CONCRETE (Lake City, TN.)- Provided concrete at discount rate.

USA AGGREGATE (Knoxville, TN.)- Donated much of the gravel used to enlarge driveway and parking area.

EDDIE SOLES (Clinton, TN.)- Finished concrete foundation for house and porch at discount.

EAGLE INSULATION (Maynardville, TN.)- Provided discount spray foam insulation.

LANSING MATERIALS (Knoxville, TN) – Provided discounted siding.

J.P. FRESHOUR (Knoxville, TN.)- Donated extended use of wood flooring tools.

JEFF JOHNSON OF SMOKY MOUNTAIN LOG CRAFTS (Sevierville, TN) – Donated many hand carved black bear and western decorations.

CASEY ANTHONY OF HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS (Clinton, TN.)- Allowed us to move in and overtake their motel for 3 1/2 long weeks- donating 5 days and offering an unbelievable discount for the remaining weeks! Not to mention, they provided extra chocolate milk and yogurt!

MICHAEL SMITH OF NORTH KNOX SIDING AND WINDOWS (Knoxville, Tn) – Quick and cost effective installation of siding and gutters.

Paul Rodefer (Springfield, TN) – We are grateful to South Haven Baptist Church in Springfield, Tennessee, and Pastor Gagliano for sending a skilled carpenter, to help finish some remaining trim work in our house!

Many individuals and families contributed to this project in various ways. Some drove long distances to give of themselves and lend a hand. Some endured hard labor and some prepared meals or brought groceries. All gave the much needed encouragement to pursue this massive endeavor. We are grateful for each of you and pray that we too can be channels to pour out God’s love as you have done for us!

I think that the Bates clan are even more hard core fundy than the Duggars. I can totally see Gil or Kelly swinging a rod onto their blessings regularly. Kelly has a sweet voice but she is IMO hooked up to an invisible Kool aid IV that pumps Gothard, Quiverfull, and "spare the rod" into her.

I think that the Bates clan are even more hard core fundy than the Duggars. I can totally see Gil or Kelly swinging a rod onto their blessings regularly. Kelly has a sweet voice but she is IMO hooked up to an invisible Kool aid IV that pumps Gothard, Quiverfull, and "spare the rod" into her.

Their white supremacism is certainly more overt...

Yeah, I definitely get a racist vibe from the Bates. Their once daughter Erin seems like a total kool aid drinking snob.

Kelly's mother adopted 2 African-American baby girls after Kelly and her brother were grown, so I can't imagine she and Gil are racist. Their friends, the Dempsters, have adopted children from other races and cultures, as well.

Don't they have a picture of Nathan Bedford Forrest, though? You can have friends who have adopted children of color (and even have adopted children yourself) and still be racist.

Yeah they do. I called them out on it on their blog and hey presto, within 24 hours the photo of the wall which contained the picture had vanished, and had my comment.

Thanks!

I love their accents. I know lots of people in America tend to look down on southern accents, but I find them really nice! I swear that's a big part of why I prefer the Bates to the Duggars :lol:

Archived