IGNORED

What about child labor laws in Arkansas ?

NJMom

I remember reading awhile back that as a result of the Jon and Kate plus 8 show, child labor laws were created in Pennsylvania to protect the amount of hours that children were allowed to be filmed and, in addition, a certain percentage (I think it was 15%) had to be set aside for each child for participating in the television show. I'm not sure that any such laws apply in Arkansas where the majority of 19 Kids and Counting is filmed. Also, even though several of the family members are over the age of 18, I really don't think they see any of the money- the family is paid one salary per episode, and I'm sure Jim Bob controls all of it. I do recall sometimes seeing under the credits "thanks to Josh and Anna Duggar", so I assume they get paid a separate salary, and I've also seen it for Amy Duggar and Mary Duggar, who probably get paid some kind of appearance fee on whatever episode they happen to be on.

I also think there was something stated about laws regarding premature babies being filmed- it seemed as if there were many hours of footage of Josie's life in the NICU and it might have been in violation of whatever laws exist for preemies. Can you imagine if the Duggars were ordered to provide a tutor to the kids on filming days? Or if Jim Bob was told that he had to divvy up his salary amongst his 18 kids still at home?

Oh! A subject I know about!

Arkansas's child labor laws are more focused on keeping children from working dangerous labor jobs, and there are no real laws that protect child performers.

[link=http://www.state.ar.us/labor/divisions/standards_childlabor.html]Arkansas Child Labor Laws via Arkansas Department of Labor[/link]

Most documentary type things are paid "by story" and not by person. Therefore the Duggar children are more than likely not getting paid, save maybe for Smuggar and Anna.

I don't know if any state has child labor laws that apply specifically to premies or other sick children, but those states that have laws to protect performing children do have regulations to limiting how much very young kids can work. That's the reason why Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen were cast as Michelle on Full House, why twins played Carrie and then Grace on Little House on the Prairie, and why twins played Tabitha on Bewitched.

Archived