IGNORED

Trouble with Obits

unholypoledancer

My husband's dad died in 2000, at a very young age. I have searched online to no avail to find his obit through Ancestry, Legacy, and other obit records. I DID manage to find his obit-through a Facebook group. It was a group remembering grads from the high school FIL went to, and one of his classmates had pasted the obit on there, and made it public. 

I am curious if anyone else has had such trouble finding obits on Legacy etc? My FIL had one, or else it wouldn't have been up there. I just find it strange. 

5 hours ago, unholypoledancer said:

I am curious if anyone else has had such trouble finding obits on Legacy etc? My FIL had one, or else it wouldn't have been up there. I just find it strange. 

Online obits usually don't go back far enough for the lines I'm researching, so I'm much more likely to contact the local library or historical society and get a hard copy from the original newspaper.

6 hours ago, unholypoledancer said:

I am curious if anyone else has had such trouble finding obits on Legacy etc? 

I subscribe to newspapers.com and newspaperarchive.com and have found old family obituaries that way.

Thank you guys! Mucho appreciated. I am still new to researching family trees, so I'll take all the advice and pointers I can get.

Check with public libraries.  I requested a rather old Obit from the St. Louis Public library.  They do ask for a small donation (like $1 or so)  but will send it to you from their archives.  (said obit was from circa 1900)  

Archived