IGNORED

Jinjer 31: Books, Books, and More Books

Coconut Flan

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting to see how the different parties are across the ocean. Here our main right of centre wing party (Tories) are closer in policies to the Democrats. Our left of centre party (Labour) is much more leftie. I'm not sure we have a party (possibly DUP) that is close to the Republican policies. 

From what I've seen and read about Ben I'd say he's a natural Moggite so firmly in the Tory party leaning to the right (Jacob Rees-Mogg is aiming for leadership, ebil Catholic but shares a lot of views with the fundies)

@TatiFish9, what did Ben ever post in support of Obama? Please link me to whatever it was, because I would love to see it! Posting a picture of Obama's face and saying that he's praying for the president is 100% the norm for the Duggars. They've always said that. Please don't state things as facts just because you believe them. If you're making an extraordinary claim ("Ben was an Obama supporter") please provide proof. Your gut instinct does not count.

@VineHeart137 Yeah, I was sure he said he didn't vote for either of them, but I could only find his Facebook post where he said he's neither a Democrat nor a Republican.

I can't recall Ben ever saying anything about supporting Obama or his policies.  He recently publicly stated that he voted for neither Chump nor Hillary -- which is bold, considering the Duggars had an election party celebrating Chump.  But that doesn't mean he supported Obama.

Speculation does certainly happen here.  People climb aboard the ISB and drive away, but usually there's some clear indication that they're moving into speculative territory.  It's always really good policy to clarify facts which have evidence to support them (it's very easy to include a link) and which ideas are flights of fancy about what is going on in their world.  

Generally speaking, if you can't find evidence to support your argument, it's an indication that the argument is not nearly as sound as it may initially feel. 

OMG, I randomly switched the channel to TCL, and Counting on suddenly appeared! And Hubs is out! So now playing - A Honeymoon and a Courtship. I don't think I've ever watched ...Kids and counting or Counting on on television before. *glee*

I really think Jinger hit the big time. She has her hot husband she is crazy about, she lives 10 hours by car from the FamilyGaggle, she has HER OWN HOUSE, which I think is incredible. They travel and she has new clothes, purchased for her, perhaps new, which fit her well. Her life made an about face. 

She must be over the moon. 

6 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I really think Jinger hit the big time. She has her hot husband she is crazy about, she lives 10 hours by car from the FamilyGaggle, she has HER OWN HOUSE, which I think is incredible. They travel and she has new clothes, purchased for her, perhaps new, which fit her well. Her life made an about face. 

She must be over the moon. 

I think almost  all of them have been fairly fortunate in the husband department, just based on their own particular personalities and wants. Jessa got a sensitive, eager-to-please husband who doesn't try to dominate her, to whom she's attracted, and I think she really enjoys her life in Arkansas with her two babies. Jinger got her stylish, hot, cosmopolitan husband who takes her traveling and buys her new clothes and encourages her photography - perfect for Jinger. Joy got a hardworking, outdoorsy husband who seems to have all the same beliefs and goals that she does and who's been a family friend for years.

Jill drew the short straw, or so it seems for now.

(I have my own issues with every single one of those dudes, but I'm trying to put myself in the Duggar daughters' shoes. I personally wouldn't want to be married to any of them!)

Jill is with her match as well...she thought she'd enjoy the life of a tinker missionary, and billed herself as such. This what happens when you drink so much of the KA that it drowns your self awareness. Actually, Derick really drew the short straw!

10 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Jill is with her match as well...she thought she'd enjoy the life of a tinker missionary, and billed herself as such. This what happens when you drink so much of the KA that it drowns your self awareness. Actually, Derick really drew the short straw!

LOL,  But in reality,  they both got short straws.  Neither of them have a whit of sense.  I will say though, that in the most recent episode,  I honestly thought their interactions with Izzy were sweet.  Jill seemed more relaxed than we often see her and more engaged with him.    Doesn't make Derick any less crazy or Jill any less pathetic, but Izzy is a cute kid. 

Jinger does seem happy, and I was happy to hear them talking of reading books even though they are probably all just books that already align with their malignant beliefs.  I also like that Jinger shows cleverness and that Jeremy acknowledges it.  Using the umbrella to gather up the cup from the river was a smart and clever idea.  Jinger seems more confident, even in her interactions with Jeremy.  No doubt he is the headship, but I think he likes to see the growth in Jinger, though if she ever disagrees with him he may be less than happy at that point.  That will be the true test.  As long as Jinger is generally compliant and subservient to him, I think he is fine.  But if she begins to assert herself, I am not convinced he will stay sweet. 

Unlike Ben, who I think knew from the beginning that Jessa would not shy away from asserting herself.  Ben seems ok with it.  He seems kindhearted and gentle with his kids. 

I think that Jinger and Jeremy have figured out a godly way to prevent pregnancy.  When they say they will see what God provides, there are many ways to take that.  For them, I think it may mean that they will see overall, in their life what God provides, not just what God provides in terms of kids.  By allowing for a broader interpretation,  they could say, they are waiting to see what God provides in terms of Jeremy's ministry, and church plant.  They are waiting to see if God Provides a bigger church, and larger congregation,  They are waiting to see if God provides them with a strong marriage, and strong support system.  They are waiting to see if God provides them a steady and reliable income, etc. 

They may say that God has provided them with opportunity to travel, to learn and study, and to influence others first, before they start their family.  They may say that God wants Jeremy to focus on being a shepherd in his church, to strengthen the church and that in order to do this, he must not be distracted yet by a gaggle of children.

I could see JinJer using a form of birth control, but if it failed and she became pregnant, happily accepting that child as God must've really wanted them to have it. 

I know it's somewhat wishful thinking, but I wish that Jinger's new reading habit would help her think in new ways and grow as a person. I know it's 100% wishful thinking, but I would love to see her toting her books around in this bag:

Spoiler

Screenshot_20170917-150722.jpg.57eb8697a267df759a2bbff512384168.jpg

Ah, fantasyland!

1 hour ago, Markie said:

I could see JinJer using a form of birth control, but if it failed and she became pregnant, happily accepting that child as God must've really wanted them to have it. 

That's how I interpret "leaving it up to God." When my husband and I got married, we decided to wait in kids for 5 years. Yet, tracking my cycle, doing FAM, and being nervous as newlyweds, using condoms days earlier than the calendar suggested, I still got pregnant on our honeymoon. God decided we needed a child, so He intervened and gave us our son. Actively trying to get pregnant as many times as your body can possibly manage seems the opposite of leaving it up to God. 

4 hours ago, amandaaries said:

I can't recall Ben ever saying anything about supporting Obama or his policies.  He recently publicly stated that he voted for neither Chump nor Hillary -- which is bold, considering the Duggars had an election party celebrating Chump.  But that doesn't mean he supported Obama.

Ben could be a swing voter and base his vote on what he likes at election time. Swing voters are important.

Yes I just called Ben important, please shoot me.

Ben could be a swing voter and base his vote on what he likes at election time. Swing voters are important.

Yes I just called Ben important, please shoot me.

Not in Arkansas. At least not in a presidential election.

6 minutes ago, Skeptic said:

I think I may have missed something . How did we learn that Jinger reads?

Jinger and Jeremy have posted multiple pics of emselves reading and shopping for books. 

8 minutes ago, Skeptic said:

I think I may have missed something . How did we learn that Jinger reads?

Since Jinger's marriage to baaaaabe she has discovered a love for reading. In her own words:

The whole reading thing is promising. There is no limit to where books can take you. Unlike living in Duggarville, where mom & dad decided which books were acceptable reading, and which were not. (And I think there were a lot of books on the NOT list in that house.)

2 minutes ago, Inky said:

The whole reading thing is promising. There is no limit to where books can take you. Unlike living in Duggarville, where mom & dad decided which books were acceptable reading, and which were not. (And I think there were a lot of books on the NOT list in that house.)

Depends. If she's actually branching out and reading things that catch her interest, great. If she's just reading bits of Jeremy's theology books... I mean, still better than nothing, but I'd love it if she were reading because she's actually getting something out of it personally, rather than just because babe loves it.

I hope she's reading some fun books that aren't religious-y. She should try "Are you there God, it's me Margaret". Or maybe when they have kids, she could read the American Girl Books or Little House to her daughters. 

3 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

I hope she's reading some fun books that aren't religious-y. She should try "Are you there God, it's me Margaret". Or maybe when they have kids, she could read the American Girl Books or Little House to her daughters. 

At this point, I'd even be happy if she tried some Christian Fiction, like Beverly Lewis's Amish books or Janette Oke's Christian Historical Fiction. Then, I'd love for her to transition to regular fiction.

I could see Jinger enjoying Jane Austen. 

From what we've heard about the Duggars' reading habits, they were so restrictive on what the kids could read that the only reading material available was either the Bible or that weird courting book Jill liked-- not that any of the older girls would have had time to read, what with raising their younger siblings and all. I think it's great that Jinger finally has the free time and disposable income to pursue her interests. While I doubt she'll ever read Harry Potter or 50 Shades or anything that's come out of modern literature, there's  still the whole of the classics and most of them would probably pass muster with her current beliefs. 

Just now, JordynDarby5 said:

Didn't Michelle once say she used to punish kids by making them sit in a chair with a book? Does anyone remember this? 

That wasn't punishment, I thought. I thought it was a way to keep them quiet and occupied while the rest of them got ready for Anna's baby shower.

@ThunderRolls - I know two baby Guses very close to my son's age (18 monthsish.) One is Augustus, I believe, and the other is an August who has a twin brother Isaac - Gus and Ike. These two are pretty much the actual cutest babies ever and I totally LOVE little old man names (my own is Solomon/Sol.) They are definitely stylish right now. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived