IGNORED

Verbing Nouns and Other Grammatical Tragedies

Lily

On the lighter side of things...

Just how many fundie-related inappropriately verbed nouns or other miscellaneous grammatical butcherings (har har har) can we cram into one thread? Kind of an organized list, if you will, of all the words and terms fundies use and abuse and what they mean in the outside world's version of the English language.

pastoring: to speak as a pastor

I once saw someone use covenant as a verb (I kid you not), but I don't know if it's common for fundies to do that. :lol:

Ok, this isn't really a grammatical tragedy, but I hate when the helpmeets say "heart training." As in, "Heart training is a very deep involved process and takes dedication and perseverance." (Miss Kendal). Every time I see "heart training" I think, "what are they talking about, cardio?"

Another is excessive and inappropriate use of punctuation such as:

A woman gets pregnant and is elated about it, then right when baby is born they want someone else to watch baby??????!!!!!! WHAT?!!

Case closed according to this article. Great news mommies....leave them and all is well!!!!WOW

This is so pathetic and exasperating.......I don't even have time to go into the thousands of other reasons to stay home.....like how the husband is to be the provider according to the Bible and how horrible relationships form when the wife is in the workforce with other men or how it may be usurping authority over a man...........there is just so much!!!! Read the Bible to learn more! (Latisha, all from the same post)

I despise purposed and convicted.

Pastoring sucks. I don't have any respect for 'pastors' in the first place because they can be self-proclaimed (Pissing Anderson, for example).

Even more than changing words, I immediately shut off with certain phrases and expressions.

As twin2 mentioned 'heart training'. Training in general, as used in child care and raising, makes my skin crawl. 'Laid upon my heart' or any version of it makes me think you are too irresponsible to make decisions and not worth listening to.

Guest Anonymous

It's weird how some of these rub me the wrong way and others don't. "Purposed" doesn't sound so bad to me -- it just sounds quaint and old fashioned. But I hate the word "convicted" with the heat of a thousands sons.

Of course, plenty of non-fundies like to use nouns as verbs. I actually think the ability to turn nouns into verbs shows how flexible English is. But still "to partner" or "partnering" makes me cringe. It sounds either saccharine or to business-speak for me. And "to parent" or "parenting" kind of bugs me, even as I recognize what a useful word it is. And "impact" as a verb isn't one of my faves either, even though I have used it.

Defrauding. I'm sorry, where I come from "being defrauded" means someone stole your credit card number, and every time I see someone using it I automatically think, "Oh that sucks, I hope the bank won't charge them for that- oh."

Fellowshipping bothers me too, but that's probably because it's one of my mom's favorite words when she's trying to get me to do something social.

Ick. I completely forgot about fellowhipping. I hate the word fellowship in the first place but to have it butchered just goes beyond reason.

I was wigged out when, after a really bad experience for a friend was resolved,a few of us were planning to take her out to acknowledge the end of the mess and relax and just be. Dinner, a few drinks, lots of love and support. A few things changed the initial plans/date so we rescheduled. One of those friends sent an email to everyone saying how disappointed she was and how she would miss fellowshipping with us.

It made me all kinds of crazy for a lot of reasons, but the word itself and her use of it seemed to make the entire situation about her, ignoring the reasons behind the plan and change of plans in the first place.

Fictional bothers me. Really bothers me. It's as if they're trying to make their stupid prose more important, more archaic and it's just downright pretentious.

Of course, purposed, heart training and convicted bother me, too. The worst is to fellowship. Why can't you people just hang out without it being some Jesus Love Fest?

And why do they use blessing so much? Everything is a blessing. "I was convicted to go to the doctor's and I purposed to use the blessing of the vajayjay cream for my yeast infection!!!!!!!!!!!"

Fictional bothers me. Really bothers me. It's as if they're trying to make their stupid prose more important, more archaic and it's just downright pretentious.

Can you give some context on that? Because the only time I've ever heard "fictional" used is for something like "Harry Potter is a fictional story about a boy who goes to a school for wizards."

There's a set of Christian girls who don't call novels that but rather "fictionals."

Verbing a noun is a gerund! PAR-TEEE! And a gerundive is nouning a verb. Learning latin dun did me sum good.

The one (and this isn't a fundie thing) is "gifted." I was "gifted" with blah blah blah. Why not "given"? I was given blah blah blah.

Convicted is a verb - Zsuzsu was convicted of crimes against common sense.

What I really hate is when people say stuff like "Well this is how God always works with me! He does (whatever)." I heard a girl on the tv today say God was telling her jokes when He made the microphone she was holding give her electric shocks, and she couldn't even drop the mic! Oh how she laughed! that God, He's such a card!

There's a set of Christian girls who don't call novels that but rather "fictionals."

Yes, let's pretend to talk like the old timey people except do it terribly wrong and make normal people want to vomit because of the word choices we make!

"Purposed" as a verb is in Genesis. I can't remember the verse but it says something like "He purposed to kill me".

I really hate "gifted" being used like "My mom gifted me this sweater" or "I'm going to gift my dad with blah blah for Christmas".

It's weird how some of these rub me the wrong way and others don't. "Purposed" doesn't sound so bad to me -- it just sounds quaint and old fashioned. But I hate the word "convicted" with the heat of a thousands sons.

Sorry, Doomed Harlot, I couldn't help it. The bolded made me chuckle. :)

On a side note, I didn't learn what a gerund was until 3rd or 4th year Spanish class, but in Spanish (gerundio). Actually, Spanish class is where I became more aware of English grammar, which is both funny and sad.

I hate:

purposing

blessing

fellowshipping

the quaint, old-timey kind of writing the women use on their blogs (dear readers, lovely, etc)

using the word "heart" where normal people would use "brain" (I think that tells a lot about fundies, actually)

just about any other word they use too much or in the wrong way.

Sorry, Doomed Harlot, I couldn't help it. The bolded made me chuckle. :)

On a side note, I didn't learn what a gerund was until 3rd or 4th year Spanish class, but in Spanish (gerundio). Actually, Spanish class is where I became more aware of English grammar, which is both funny and sad.

One of the books required for my Arabic class was "English Grammar for Students of Arabic". It explained English grammar and then correlated it with Arabic grammar. I learned soooo much about my own language.

"Fellowshipping" and its other verb forms (as in "We fellowshipped with the B.'s on Saturday evening - such a blessing to be with a godly and like-minded family.") drive me nuts. A usage that's at once pompous & stupid.

Why not just say that you enjoyed eating/playing charades/traveling/being with the B.'s and leave it at that?

Hah, me too. I was never really aware of the subjunctive tense until I took Spanish classes.

I enjoy verbing proper nouns in general...like Googling, Netflixing or Tivoing.

One of the books required for my Arabic class was "English Grammar for Students of Arabic". It explained English grammar and then correlated it with Arabic grammar. I learned soooo much about my own language.

That book was really helpful for me. I've always been interested in English grammar, but I learned so much more about it while learning Arabic.

Three cheers for Fictionals!

Yesterday my husband was telling his dad that he wants a bigger TV, but is working on convincing me. He said, "The first arrow in my quiver is XYZ," and I totally did a double take, thinking, "Why the hell is he telling his dad we're having a baby?" before I realized that he meant his first argument for a new television. It's a whole different language in fundie world.

I'm a hardcore descriptivist so I can't really get mad about language changing, especially English which is a Frankenstein language to begin with. But I think the purpose of unusual grammar among fundies is just another way for them to feel separate from "the world", and it also serves to isolate women more (along with the weird clothes) while letting them feel arrogant and superior. They are essentially developing their own dialect.

ETA: Add me to the list of people who learned more about English grammar from taking high-level foreign languages. I never even new that the subjunctive mood existed until I learned how to do it in Spanish.

Archived