IGNORED

Black Lives Matter

Geechee Girl

Keep up with what's going down.

Last night Deray Mckesson was arrested with others in Baton Rouge as they were protesting the death of Alton Sterling. Deray is usually the face of BLM on media. He streamed part of protest and arrest on Periscope: https://www.periscope.tv/w/1DXxyZjvrWVKM

HuffPo and Slate coverage with more pics and video.

• Upvote 7

tumblr_oa43oczLiT1thd7hoo1_1280.jpg

The above picture is from Baton Rouge and is especially moving to me. Just a lady in her sundress scaring off police officers in FULL RIOT GEAR. Hell yeah. 

I hope it goes down in history like the man in front of the tank and the flower in the gun. Or the man in Ferguson flinging a tear gas canister away from protesters or the lady taking down the Confederate flag. You get the idea.

• Upvote 30

She is so poised and fierce. The juxtaposition of her outfit and the riot gear is striking.

• Upvote 18

Well, tat pic just made it's way to my Facebook news feed. The comments about her were disgusting. I won't repeat them. I deleted it as soon as I saw it. I don't tolerate shit like that on my social media.

• Upvote 14

10 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

The above picture is from Baton Rouge and is especially moving to me. Just a lady in her sundress scaring off police officers in FULL RIOT GEAR. Hell yeah. 

I hope it goes down in history like the man in front of the tank and the flower in the gun. Or the man in Ferguson flinging a tear gas canister away from protesters or the lady taking down the Confederate flag. You get the idea.

No idea of who she is but she has my deepest admiration for her bravery and composure. She's stunning. Her face and posture say more than one million words.

• Upvote 11

2 hours ago, Wenny said:

Did they taze her? It looks like the tazer is out but I can't tell.

Now that, I do not know.

I do know that she was arrested

• Upvote 1

originally mistakenly posted this in the Dallas thread. It belongs here. Deray was released, and works are in motion to get the others out.

Spoiler

CnCAiP5WAAA09yV.jpg

• Upvote 3

I don't even know where to put this... I'm so glad she corrected that fool. 

Screenshot_20160711-145353.jpg

Edit to tag @Mecca and @Destiny

Edited by iweartanktops
  • Upvote 42

19 minutes ago, iweartanktops said:

I don't even know where to put this... I'm so glad she corrected that fool. 

Screenshot_20160711-145353.jpg

*Slow Clap*

My admiration for her (which was already through the roof) just skyrocketed. 

DAMN.

• Upvote 15

5 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

*Slow Clap*

My admiration for her (which was already through the roof) just skyrocketed. 

DAMN.

YES! Mic drop. 

I loooove her for this! I'm tempted to make it my Facebook photo. :)

• Upvote 11

He sounds like an alien trying to fit in adding in all those qualifiers

American

Black

Woman

No one talks about their friends that way.

1. If you had black friends you wouldn't have to publicly announce it. Your previous history would show it. I am constantly side eyeing anyone who says "I have black friends." It's the new "I'm not racist but..."

2. You could just say "I have tons of black friends. My best friend just won Wimbledon." and everyone would know exactly who you were talking about and the implications that held (that she was a black woman)

• Upvote 15

5 minutes ago, sophie10130 said:

He sounds like an alien trying to fit in adding in all those qualifiers

American

Black

Woman

No one talks about their friends that way.

1. If you had black friends you wouldn't have to publicly announce it. Your previous history would show it. I am constantly side eyeing anyone who says "I have black friends." It's the new "I'm not racist but..."

2. You could just say "I have tons of black friends. My best friend just won Wimbledon." and everyone would know exactly who you were talking about and the implications that held (that she was a black woman)

Not to get too political, but it would explain a lot if he were inhuman and trying to fit in. 

-The weird skin color

-The unnatural affection for his daughter

-His chronic foot-in-mouth syndrome

And all the other human things he sucks at doing. 

• Upvote 19

I've mostly neglected FJ for this over the past few weeks/months. I used to work with DeRay (who is amazing) so all of this is pretty close to my heart, obvious reasons notwithstanding. 

Not sure what direction you want this thread to go in @Geechee Girl (love the name btw) but I can direct anyone interested to social media accounts to follow if they want to keep up with the news. 

• Upvote 6

That was epic! You go, Serena! Congratulations on winning at Wimbledon!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, purple_summer said:

I've mostly neglected FJ for this over the past few weeks/months. I used to work with DeRay (who is amazing) so all of this is pretty close to my heart, obvious reasons notwithstanding. 

Not sure what direction you want this thread to go in @Geechee Girl (love the name btw) but I can direct anyone interested to social media accounts to follow if they want to keep up with the news. 

In my experience, people on FJ are mostly open-minded and able to think outside of their bubble. 

It's a painful time, but I do feel safe here, in this context. 

• Upvote 11

The Serena Williams twitter thing was satire, although it would be great if it did happen.

Unfortunately Black Lives Matter has been dissed in my city (Toronto).  They were invited to the Pride parade as an Honoured Group, but then staged a sit in and presented a list of demands which included the demand that police not be allowed floats in the parade.  The Chair of Pride signed off but then later said it was a gesture to keep the parade going.  Messy stuff.

38 minutes ago, tropaka said:

The Serena Williams twitter thing was satire, although it would be great if it did happen.

Unfortunately Black Lives Matter has been dissed in my city (Toronto).  They were invited to the Pride parade as an Honoured Group, but then staged a sit in and presented a list of demands which included the demand that police not be allowed floats in the parade.  The Chair of Pride signed off but then later said it was a gesture to keep the parade going.  Messy stuff.

I'm not sure about this. Is it really entirely fair for them to make demands like that when it's a parade for specifically for another minority group that was nice enough to want to include them? I'm confused about what happened that caused them to be dissed here - were they uninvited or something?

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 8

@purple_summer Thank you for chiming in, and the shoutout. :562479b1e2079_Whyhullothurwave:  I'm proud of my  Gullah roots. I started the thread as a place we can keep up with events going down across the country. Plus all of them don't receive proper coverage. I'm remiss I did not start this earlier. I'd appreciate learning more accounts to follow on twitter or IG. PM me if you wish. Please share your experience with us. I stay wanting to be schooled.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, iweartanktops said:

In my experience, people on FJ are mostly open-minded and able to think outside of their bubble. 

It's a painful time, but I do feel safe here, in this context. 

It's not so much about a safe space as me being preoccupied/needed elsewhere. I do log on and poke around a bit, just not posting as much for the moment. 

I'll add some twitter accounts after work. There are quite a few.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I'm not sure about this. Is it really entirely fair for them to make demands like that when it's a parade for specifically for another minority group that was nice enough to want to include them? I'm confused about what happened that caused them to be dissed here - were they uninvited or something?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/black-lives-matter-blasts-pride-toronto-handling-of-black-lgbtq-youth/article30786807/ I think that not having police at a parade is a very bad idea but this article brings to light why they did it. American (from what I know)  kind of romanticized that Canada doesn't  have race issue when in fact there is a dire situations in Aboriginal communities, mainly missing women. 

Edited by Wenny
Sentences make sense if they had the proper words.

14 minutes ago, Wenny said:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/black-lives-matter-blasts-pride-toronto-handling-of-black-lgbtq-youth/article30786807/ I think that not having police at a parade but this article brings to light why they did it. American (from what I know)  kind of romanticized that Canada doesn't  have race issue when in fact there is a dire situations in Aboriginal communities, mainly missing women. 

Yeah, I'm American and I don't romanticize other countries - even Canada. My opinion is every country has their issues to deal with and nowhere is perfect. 

I still don't agree with how they went about this though. This parade wasn't about them - it was about the greater LGBTQ community and celebrating that. They were invited to participate as honored guests because they likely recognized that BLM have valid points about the treatment of blacks in general and within the LGBTQ community - then they went, caused a standstill, and made all sorts of demands? Not really cool. I can see the reasons why and, yes, those are very important reasons... But this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Pride is allowed to include anyone they wish to include in their parades and events - same goes for BLM. You don't go around making demands on other groups the way they did.

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 13

The problem is BLM isn't a monolith, or even an "organization" in the way most people think. There are all kinds of splinter groups with their own ideas of how to organize  and what should be prioritized. Just throwing that out there. 

Some tweets, as promised: 

Spoiler

(^^^This is part of a longer thread and worth a read) 

(most under spoiler for length) 

This is just a bit of what's on my timeline daily, I can give more recommendations if people are interested. As usual, don't be an asshole and tweet them on behalf of FJ.

• Upvote 8

When people bring up black on black crime. 

Translation: If black people can kill each other, why can't we?

• Upvote 14