IGNORED

Possible Lawsuit for Josh

DGayle

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/sex-abu ... ar-report/

I think this is deserving of its own thread because it's not so much about Josh and more about how there is a law that gives victims recourse. Also interesting that JB&M can't invoke the 5th amendment since the criminal SOL is up.

Edit to add the link Peg shared below since it's better and from the source that have been right all steps of the way on this issue: http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/dugg ... ctim-62115

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Anonymous Sources"

(Not saying it's not true - but I'm waiting on actual proof that this is happening.)

This will be interesting if it indeed happens and is true. I would LOVE all the names to be named. This actually could help Josh's reputation by throwing some blame on all the adults who did NOTHING for the victims and underage Josh.

Fingers crossed that if the other victim does pursue charges that justice will be served and that she will get some peace of mind. Maybe if she steps forward it would embolden the other victims to seek help, too (though I think that's doubtful).

If these "anonymous sources" are right, let's hope that the extent of the family's wrongdoings will be exposed, and that anyone involved in the coverup will be named.

Well, this will be an interesting twist (assuming it is true.)

"Anonymous Sources"

(Not saying it's not true - but I'm waiting on actual proof that this is happening.)

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/dugg ... ctim-62115 (Link not broken because InTouch)

It was originally reported by InTouch, and everything else they've reported has been true, if not outright verified by court documents. In the next day or so here, like all of their other "Duggar Scandal" articles, i'd expect proof of the civil case filing. This is getting just crazier and crazier. I hope justice is finally served in this case.

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/dugg ... ctim-62115 (Link not broken because InTouch)

It was originally reported by InTouch, and everything else they've reported has been true, if not outright verified by court documents. In the next day or so here, like all of their other "Duggar Scandal" articles, i'd expect proof of the civil case filing. This is getting just crazier and crazier. I hope justice is finally served in this case.

I'm pretty sure it's real only because I just found out about it through a trending topic on facebook before looking on freejinger

I hate to say I'm happy about this -- but I am happy about this. It means there might be the opportunity for actual justice and not that mealymouthed Christian non-justice that the Duggars decided was good enough.

I'm not going to believe this is true until there's official confirmation, but god, I hope it is. Both because I really want Josh, Jim Bob and Michelle to suffer some real consequence and because I'm nosy as hell and the discovery phase of such a lawsuit will be epic.

I'm not rejoicing over this. Josh, regardless of what I think of him, has an innocent wife and three very dear, young children.

I'm not rejoicing over this. Josh, regardless of what I think of him, has an innocent wife and three very dear, young children.

I'm sort of here. I don't care about Josh and his repercussions but Anna and the kids? They will suffer greatly due to this. I see no happy outcome for them in the short term. Long term if they divest themselves of him then maybe.

Okey dokey then. It must be true. InTouch says so. :shock:

For the record, no, not 'everything else' InTouch has reported has been true. They're a bloody tabloid. People need to stop treating them like they're the New York Times or something. They got lucky with the Josh Duggar scandal. They heard a rumour, went digging, and hit pay dirt. It doesn't logically follow that every single piece of gossip they post from now on MUST be true.

Seriously, the idea that another victim may be suing the Duggars does not strike me as outlandish at all, and I will not be the least bit surprised if it does turn out to be true, but if you decide to start trusting InTouch magazine as a reliable source because they know how to file a FOIA request... godspeed.

Josh was a minor (unless his actions continued into adulthood). JB is the one who needs to be sued.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/sex-abuse-victim-to-file-lawsuit-against-josh-duggar-report/

I think this is deserving of its own thread because it's not so much about Josh and more about how there is a law that gives victims recourse. Also interesting that JB&M can't invoke the 5th amendment since the criminal SOL is up.

Edit to add the link Peg shared below since it's better and from the source that have been right all steps of the way on this issue: http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/dugg ... ctim-62115

But she didn't even know it had happened. If Josh hadn't been purposing get to follow God and humble himself to ... Admit his sins ... Over clothes...to his parents....crying...concern for his heart...lesbian agenda...The nations...ugh, what was they said on Megyn's interview?

Basically, I'm sure they have nothing to worry about because it basically didn't even happen...and then accredited something happened. Look, it's Josie!

Josh was a minor (unless his actions continued into adulthood). JB is the one who needs to be sued.

Well, he may well end up being a defendant in the lawsuit. It's not as if that's been ruled out yet.

I'm praying this goes forward. If Josh isn't sued, then JB and Michelle should be for failing to protect their children and others.

I hope each and every Duggar kid will be able to break free from fundamentalism.

If there is a lawsuit (again, I'm taking this anonymous report with a grain of salt but fingers crossed)... would that mean the Duggars would have to testify in court? The girls, Josh, JB & M?

Also, can they use the evidence in the police report now that it's been sealed or destroyed or whatever? Considering that the statute of limitation can be surpassed, I'd hope they could also resurrect the evidence?

I'm not going to believe this is true until there's official confirmation, but god, I hope it is. Both because I really want Josh, Jim Bob and Michelle to suffer some real consequence and because I'm nosy as hell and the discovery phase of such a lawsuit will be epic.

I am hoping it's true as well and I'm hoping it was the blatant lies and the way the Duggars have tried to spin this is what was the impetus for the lawsuit.

Thou shalt not lie, even to protect a so called ministry.

If there is a lawsuit (again, I'm taking this anonymous report with a grain of salt but fingers crossed)... would that mean the Duggars would have to testify in court? The girls, Josh, JB & M?

Also, can they use the evidence in the police report now that it's been sealed or destroyed or whatever? Considering that the statute of limitation can be surpassed, I'd hope they could also resurrect the evidence?

Good point! Now that the original report has been destroyed, can't they tell their version of the truth? No one will even be able to point to the report to say, "But it was two years AFTER the fact that you took your girls to the Springdale Children's Safety Center" and that you did not do so of your own initiative because that proof no longer exists.

I don't really feel bad for Anna... she married the guy knowing what he did. (supposedly)

It would depend on what the claims exactly were. If they had relevant information than yes, they could be forced to testify. It seems unlikely they would have to testify about what happened to them, as the claim would be about what happened to victim no. 5. Josh, JB and M would almost certainly have to testify if the case got to that point (most cases settle and discovery is never completed).

So, as far as whether this will hurt Anna and the kids, and whether it's a good thing or not, it's as simple as this.

There are two possibilities: Josh stopped when we're told he did, or he did not stop. If he did not stop, he harmed additional people and/or harmed the same people more times.

There are two possibilities: he is either still continuing to do harm to people in his proximity, or he is not.

If he is not currently a danger to anyone, the harm from this to his family is a Big Deal. If he is currently a danger to anyone, then the harm to them is an unfortunate side effect, and his fault, not the fault of the legal system or the person pursuing the suit. If he is currently a harm to anyone, whatever comes of this may even be a benefit to his family -- I'm not trying to speculate that he has or is harming his own kid, but the fact remains that 'he still does this thing' is possible, and if so, it needs to be dug up and he needs to be stopped and the victim or victims rescued.

If he isn't currently a harm to anyone else, then I'm really sorry for Anna and the kids -- but the fact remains that the victim deserves any kind of justice she can get, and it's still Josh's fault that A and the Ms are hurt -- not the fault of the legal system, the victim, or In Touch.

I bet we'll see a statement though, about the attacks on the innocents.

Assuming for a moment the story is true, "preparing to file" and actually filing a lawsuit are very different things.

Many matters are settled after a summons is drafted but before it's filed and a complaint actually served upon a defendant.

Josh and his parents almost certainly have a Statute of Limitations defense here (I'm assuming the babysitter is now over 21). However, the plaintiff could try to claim a repressed memory or maybe a delayed manifestation of trauma. Probably won't fly in the end, but the threat of a lawsuit alone might be enough to for the Duggars to pony up some cash to entice the victim to settle out before she actually files the lawsuit.

If a lawsuit is filed, Duggar counsel will no doubt try to get it immediately dismissed based upon the statute of limitations. If they aren't immediately successful, this could get very unpleasant for the Duggars as some discovery will have to happen.

I'm not sure I believe the story, however. Time will tell.

Archived