IGNORED

When have the Maxwells gone overseas?

Justme

In the comments, someone asked about going to Australia. Sarah (cause it was ti nice to be Steve) said it's been a couple of years since they went OVERSEAS.

I don't ever remember them stepping on a plane. The only place out of the country I remember is their trip to Canada. When Uriah kept busting up their roads.

In the comments, someone asked about going to Australia. Sarah (cause it was ti nice to be Steve) said it's been a couple of years since they went OVERSEAS.

I don't ever remember them stepping on a plane. The only place out of the country I remember is their trip to Canada. When Uriah kept busting up their roads.

I went back to read the comment and she actually wrote it's been a number of years since they'd been overseas, rather than a couple of years.

In all of my time reading on their site, 10 years or so, they've not been overseas, so I'm not sure as to when she is referring.

And is it just me, or does that comment by Deandra R. sound a bit like our own John Hughes?

WTF is Sarah talking about? I've been reading their blog for a few years, too (I think I found them right before Susannah was born) and to my knowledge, they've never been overseas. Where would they have gone?

The comment does sound a little like John Hugh. Where has he been, anyway?

Just a stupid question about the usage of the word 'overseas': in countries that have land borders, does the word simultaneously mean 'another country' and literally 'across a sea'? Is Belieze 'overseas' for Americans? What about Canada?

Back to the Maxwells, it's quite possible Steve and Co travelled for holidays and/or work back in the days of Boeing. I know several aircraft engineers and they travel for work fairly frequently. Perhaps they even left the 3 kids with Teri's parents and had a week away in the Bahamas. Maybe Teri even got to wear a (gasp) bikini.

Just a stupid question about the usage of the word 'overseas': in countries that have land borders, does the word simultaneously mean 'another country' and literally 'across a sea'? Is Belieze 'overseas' for Americans? What about Canada?

Back to the Maxwells, it's quite possible Steve and Co travelled for holidays and/or work back in the days of Boeing. I know several aircraft engineers and they travel for work fairly frequently. Perhaps they even left the 3 kids with Teri's parents and had a week away in the Bahamas. Maybe Teri even got to wear a (gasp) bikini.

"Overseas" for Americans is over a sea/ocean. Canada and Mexico are "across the border" for Americans. Hawaii for Americans is not "overseas" since it's one of our (most awesome!) states, so it's just, you know, Hawaii. And I would consider Guam and Puerto Rico both "overseas". Clear as mud, right?

Even if Stevie traveled for Boeing, I doubt he would have taken the whole family with him, unless he was working overseas for an extended period (maybe he was, I don't think he's ever said). But they didn't have their "ministry" back then and weren't wandering the country in a big bus and preaching at the elderly.

They went to Germany once for a conference. There is a list of all the conferences they have done on the website.

They went to Germany once for a conference. There is a list of all the conferences they have done on the website.

Germany, we formally appologize. With any luck they won't go back.

2004 at Ramstein AFB, looks like it was Steve and Teri only.

Haven't they said that they no longer want to fly because of the immodesty of the security measures?

I went back to read the comment and she actually wrote it's been a number of years since they'd been overseas, rather than a couple of years.

In all of my time reading on their site, 10 years or so, they've not been overseas, so I'm not sure as to when she is referring.

And is it just me, or does that comment by Deandra R. sound a bit like our own John Hughes?

>>>>> No it wasn't me, but I did notice it too. After Stevie accepted Kylie's Neighbours / Ramsey Street comment on the infamous Naysayers post (Part II Stevie??) then he deleted it, Kylie M's commenting days are over. Now its been flagged up, I wonder how long it will last as it must have been one of us. The other comment which was again must be one of us, was from 'Cher' :lol:

Cher on December 10, 2013 at 6:57 pm said:

I would love to hear you all sing! Is it possible to post a clip here?

I've not had much luck recently with posts getting edited or deleted, even Davey has got wise to John-Marie commenting on his blog. :big-heart:

I will be back though Stevie :wink-penguin:

>>>>> No it wasn't me, but I did notice it too. After Stevie accepted Kylie's Neighbours / Ramsey Street comment on the infamous Naysayers post (Part II Stevie??) then he deleted it, Kylie M's commenting days are over. Now its been flagged up, I wonder how long it will last as it must have been one of us. The other comment which was again must be one of us, was from 'Cher' :lol:

I've not had much luck recently with posts getting edited or deleted, even Davey has got wise to John-Marie commenting on his blog. :big-heart:

I will be back though Stevie :wink-penguin:

I'll pray for you to get back into the inner circle. :lol:

Haven't they said that they no longer want to fly because of the immodesty of the security measures?

Hey, I knew the TSA measures were good for something!

"Overseas" for Americans is over a sea/ocean. Canada and Mexico are "across the border" for Americans. Hawaii for Americans is not "overseas" since it's one of our (most awesome!) states, so it's just, you know, Hawaii. And I would consider Guam and Puerto Rico both "overseas". Clear as mud, right?

Even if Stevie traveled for Boeing, I doubt he would have taken the whole family with him, unless he was working overseas for an extended period (maybe he was, I don't think he's ever said). But they didn't have their "ministry" back then and weren't wandering the country in a big bus and preaching at the elderly.

If he used to work for Boeing he may have received flight discounts or even free flights for the whole family. So travel might have been much more of an option.

And Puerto Rico, overseas? No. I don't think I've ever even heard a real life person use the term, but it always brings to mind people from the 1900 s on some long expensive trip to Europe.

The LORD is laying on my heart that Deandra R. lives in Philadelphia and works in a bar with her friends Mac, Charlie and Dennis.

I love it's always sunny in Philadelphia. The Maxwells would just die if any of their "children" watched it.

I don't remember the Maxwell family traveling anywhere overseas in past 10+ years I've been following them. Heck, I don't even remember any mention of a German trip as noted by a poster upthread. These days, I can't imagine the Maxwell family flying anywhere. It's very expensive for a family of that size, plus what would they have reason to do so? Their jobs would probably not take them to a foreign country. Their "ministry" would never make enough money for them to justify an international trip. Vacations to other countries are out of the question for it's decadence and exposure to even less appropriate sights.

Now, I can imagine one or a few of the Maxwell men traveling abroad for missionary work. I think it was John or Joseph who once expressed interest in that. But as the family has gotten even more isolated, I don't think even that is in the cards. If there's any overseas traveling, I think it was in their pre-fundie crazy days, and/or when Steve and Teri traveled on their own. Oh, and if the travel was when Steve was still at Boeing, they may have received discounted plane tickets.

But if Steve and Teri went, who looked after the "kids". My goodness Chris would have been 25-26 and Sarah would have only been like 23-24 at the time?

Clear as mud, right?

I have to admit I wondered this myself, because in Japanese, the concepts are one and the same thing - Japan is a group of islands, so to go to any foreign country means you go "outside of the ocean" (海外). There are of course other words like "outside the country" 国外 but IME the "overseas" equivalent is far more commonly used.

When speaking Japanese in the US I have found myself using that word for a trip to South America, no one batted an eye, but I was thinking, you know, technically this is weird...!

I suppose the UK/Australia are in the same boat as Japanese, all foreign countries are across the ocean "overseas" so it's not a problem? Speakers in the US, Canada, India... maybe have issues!

Who babysat Sarah? She was only in her twenties. Much too young to be left home alone.

But if Steve and Teri went, who looked after the "kids". My goodness Chris would have been 25-26 and Sarah would have only been like 23-24 at the time?

Grandad and Gigi perhaps? Or Nathan and Melanie.

Sarah, even at 31, wouldn't be old enough to 'babysit' her younger siblings. NR Anna might be though, since she's married (and younger than Sarah).

Imagine someone asking someone to look after their children while they go on holiday, and then when they turn up, it turns out that the oldest "kid" that needs babysitting is 25.

Archived