IGNORED

Lori Alexander Loves Pioneer Woman

Lori is a Fucking Monster waxes rhapsodic about Pioneer Woman.

lorialexander.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-pioneer-woman.html

Lori hasn't learned the lesson that when reading a lifestyle blog, you are comparing your unedited footage to someone else's highlight reel. Ree Drummond probably doesn't "build her husband up" all the time. Now that she is famous, the family probably isn't working on the ranch every spare moment. It's just a persona, one that she likely does not always embody.

It is difficult to find television shows anymore with happy, whole families. It is becoming out of style much to the detriment of children and society. It will never be out of style with God, however. It is His plan and His plans are always the best.

Television is fiction. Fiction thrives on conflict, and unhappy families are a great sources of entertaining conflict. It's been this way since the Greek tragedies, since Babylonian myths, since the Bible. If this hasn't changed in about 10,000 years of modern homo sapiens history, it will not change for you now, Lori.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh. Pioneer Woman sucks. Her recipes are either ripped off from church cookbooks or she assembles a freaking sandwich or cooks eggs in a basket, and she is just so incredibly awkward on camera. Plus that permanent smile just creeps me out. Doesn't her face ever get sore? She just grates my nerves. Marlboro Woman and Pioneer Woman Sux tickle me. They take the criticism too far sometimes, Ree isn't a monster unlike one of her Reeple, but they tickle me.

ETA Lori Alexander is a monster

aw man, I used to be a Reeple. I even bought her first cookbook! What a waste of money that was. The burgundy mushrooms are still divine though.

On the topic of Ree and religion, there was the whole Mrs G. bustup on the homeschooling front of the blog (read up on it here: http://www.thepioneerwomansux.com/2011/03/mrs-gs-post/ ), where she left Mrs G out with the wolves by apparently editing out supportive comments. Classy.

Don't feel bad about buying her cookbook, lady audley. I bought her second one just for the pics of the dogs. :lol:

Steve Maxwell needs to have a word with her. She should not be allowing the beast (even if it is watched on the net) into her home. She needs to be spending her time thinking about where she will go while she dies while cleaning her cealing fans.

If she was honest about what she was doing in collecting recipes from local church and club cookbooks, and credited appropriately, I'd probably buy her books---I don't have the opportunity or initiative to get my hands on the originals, and some of the recipes she turns up seem really solid.

Lori is a monster.

I hate the Pie Near woman. Her whole, "I'm jest a countree woman, a'cookin' fer my man" schtik is completely grating. Tingly butt and all.

They are one of the very wealthy families in Oklahoma, one of the biggest landowners. She leads a very, very privileged life with secretaries, nannies, tutors and housekeeper. Her recipes are ripped off, unhealthy and rely on cream of crap-type bases. My friends in Ok loooooooove her and always post and like links to her fb feed. Gah.

Lori is a monster

Edited for riffles

Lori is a monster.

I hate the Pie Near woman. Her whole, "I'm jest a countree woman, a'cookin' fer my man" schtik is completely grating. Tingly butt and all.

They are one of the very wealthy families in Oklahoma, one of the biggest landowners. She leads a very, very privileged life with secretaries, nannies, tutors and housekeeper. Her recipes are ripped off, unhealthy and rely on cream of crap-type bases. My friends in Ok loooooooove her and always post and like links to her fb feed. Gah.

Lori is a monster

Edited for riffles

You get extra points with me for referencing Pie Near Woman :lol: Awesome :wink-kitty: Did you know Rechelle was behind it? If you haven't read her blog entry about what happened during a weekend visit with her hero you should. Ree's really something else. Rechelle comes across as slightly too preoccupied with Ree, but Ree comes off a LOT worse in the story. rechelleunplugged.com Hope I broke the link right.

I knew there was a personal story behind the hilarious and scathing "Pie Near Woman", but didn't know what it was. I will have to look at the blog.

Ree Drummond is such a poser. BUT....Lori is a monster.

Pioneer Woman does have a recipe that is very much like Anna's chickenetti.

Why would anyone actually buy a cookbook anymore? Just search xyz recipe and you'll find hundreds.

Because a good cookbook is a joy to read to us foodies. There's much more to learn from a good cookbook than just a recipe. There's lots of kitchen wisdom from experienced cooks, too, and that is even more valuable.

Penny -owner of a lot of cookbooks, but wanting even more

edited for riffle and ETA: I bookmarked that PioneerWomanSux site. It's great!

Why would anyone actually buy a cookbook anymore? Just search xyz recipe and you'll find hundreds.

Yes, this. I laugh when people talk about "her" recipe or "my" recipe for stuff that has been around for ages. I remember a while back some of the Pioneer Woman fangirls were harassing someone online for not specifying that she "stole" a recipe from Ree. That recipe was all over the 'net, including on the Rachel Ray site with a publish date before PW's. Crazy people, getting all worked up over who owns a decades-old dessert recipe. Please.

Back when the PW was first blogging I loved her, I checked her site daily. But I think she's fallen into the trap of many mommy bloggers and doesn't have enough new information to stay interesting. I haven't checked her blog in months. I do like her photos of the ranch and her dogs though.

I'm not going to lie, I like a few of her recipes; however, I know that they are unhealthy and not original.

I'm not certain why Lori would like the Pioneer Woman persona. Pioneer woman's daughters (Is it one or two?) supposedly work as hard as the guys do so she isn't presenting a picture of ultimate, feminine girlhood. Both Rhee and her husband went to college and probably want their children to attend also. Plus, Rhee works. She might work mainly from her home but she still has a career and isn't dependent on her husband for all her income. The tv show even depicts her hanging out with just girlfriends

Lori supports Rhee Drummond because outward appearances matter a lot to right wingers. They don't care about reality or it would be easy to tell that even the fake Pioneer Woman persona doesn't live up to Lori's ideal of womanhood.

All happy couples who have been together for a long time build one another up more than they tear each other down. If Lori watched a show with two feminists or a same sex couple, the individuals would support one another. First of all, it is a fake tv show so they edit out anything that counters that happy image. Second of all, building your spouse up is not uncommon among happy couples.

Because I only use a few recipes from her site, I haven't noticed any cream of soup recipes like someone else mentioned but I might automatically bypass those.

Definitely, a great cookbook is still worth having! You can get individual recipes and things online, of course, but I still like cookbooks, especially really beautiful themed ones that really create an atmosphere along with giving you recipes. Good ones are also full of handy tips for each dish and general info that you could cobble together by Googling, but might not even necessarily think of. Even cookbooks that I can't use at all, like Nigella Lawson's (I'm a vegetarian, and even her roasted potatoes have duck fat) are a pleasure to read.

That said, if you are looking for a particular popular recipe (like Pie Near woman's), it's generally easy to Google and find it. If you're really a big fan of someone and do want to support their work, then I think buying the book makes sense.

Lori is a Fucking Monster waxes rhapsodic about Pioneer Woman.

lorialexander.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-pioneer-woman.html

Lori hasn't learned the lesson that when reading a lifestyle blog, you are comparing your unedited footage to someone else's highlight reel. Ree Drummond probably doesn't "build her husband up" all the time. Now that she is famous, the family probably isn't working on the ranch every spare moment. It's just a persona, one that she likely does not always embody.

Television is fiction. Fiction thrives on conflict, and unhappy families are a great sources of entertaining conflict. It's been this way since the Greek tragedies, since Babylonian myths, since the Bible. If this hasn't changed in about 10,000 years of modern homo sapiens history, it will not change for you now, Lori.

Pioneer Woman and her kids never had to work on the ranch. (You think someone who went to USC, lived in a major city and grew up in a posh suburb with shopping trips to NYC and Atlanta for school clothes would end up having to work the ranch to keep it going?) They do sometimes but only if they feel like it. Her husband is worth over USD$20 million. There are loads of ranch hands as well as live in domestic help. She's not a typical ranch wife- she's had live in help since she married. She had a live in baby sitter since her first child. She also hired teachers to home school her children. This info used to be on her blog but she scrubbed it when her blog became popular. Her brand is the hard working ranch wife who finds time to home school four kids.

Pioneer Woman pisses me off. I don't follow her blog regularly or watch the show. The fake persona is annoying and she is one blogger who will not be going away anytime soon. At least with Stephanie Nielson, she will drop of out of blogging popularity at some point. But with PW she may be around for years and years to come.

Yes, this. I laugh when people talk about "her" recipe or "my" recipe for stuff that has been around for ages. I remember a while back some of the Pioneer Woman fangirls were harassing someone online for not specifying that she "stole" a recipe from Ree. That recipe was all over the 'net, including on the Rachel Ray site with a publish date before PW's. Crazy people, getting all worked up over who owns a decades-old dessert recipe. Please.

The same thing happened on a smaller blog that posted a recipe for cold-brewed iced coffee. A bunch of people got all pissy with the blogger through comments and emails, claiming she was just copying Pioneer Woman's recipe, because PW's had been posted a few weeks prior.

The "stolen" iced coffee recipe:

cravingcomfort.blogspot.com/2011/07/last-iced-coffee-recipe-youll-ever-need.html

The same thing happened on a smaller blog that posted a recipe for cold-brewed iced coffee. A bunch of people got all pissy with the blogger through comments and emails, claiming she was just copying Pioneer Woman's recipe, because PW's had been posted a few weeks prior.

The "stolen" iced coffee recipe:

cravingcomfort.blogspot.com/2011/07/last-iced-coffee-recipe-youll-ever-need.html

Wow, I didn't even know you needed a recipe for iced coffee. In case anyone's interested here's mine (and I better not find it gracing your personal blogs as your own work!!):

Coffee

Ice

Directions: Pour coffee over ice. Drink.

Wow, I didn't even know you needed a recipe for iced coffee. In case anyone's interested here's mine (and I better not find it gracing your personal blogs as your own work!!):

Coffee

Ice

Directions: Pour coffee over ice. Drink.

:lol:

I've always thought that people with super-secret-squirrel recipes they "can't" share because FAMILY SECRET!!!!! were @$$holes who needed to get over themselves.

That said, I'm a stickler for giving correct attribution whenever I share a recipe, even if it's just "I got this bread recipe from the King Arthur site, and here's how I dicked around with it."

Archived