IGNORED

Swear An Oath Or No Diploma For You

NjoyingNsanity

A group of Republicans wants high school seniors to swear an oath similar to that of an oath of office, or the state will withhold the student's diploma, and not allow them to graduate. Of course this oath ends with the phrase "so help me God" and no alternate wording is acceptable. Article here http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... gh-school/

Edited because I meant swear not sweat an oath damned autocorrect.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no way this will ever pass, right? Because seriously... that's just ridiculous. I can't believe anyone could even suggest something like this without feeling like a total fool.

I'd actually kind of like to see it pass, just so it can be slapped down by the supreme court.

Seriously though, I thought Republicans were trying to paint themselves as the party that respects the constitution. You can't respect something and ignore it at the same time.

Who even sits around thinking this stuff up? It's just ridiculous. As the article pointed out this isn't giving anyone a better education so really, what's the advantage (to normal people)?

Who even sits around thinking this stuff up?

The party that wants "big government" out of your life.

:roll:

To quote Comedy Central’s Ilya Gerner: “Nothing says ‘I take this obligation freely’ quite like a state law that withholds your diploma unless you swear an oath.”

What a bunch of fucking idiots.

Who even sits around thinking this stuff up? It's just ridiculous. As the article pointed out this isn't giving anyone a better education so really, what's the advantage (to normal people)?

This. Why don't republicans have better things to do. Like, you know, fix the economy or take care of all of those non-aborted babies or find job for all of those welfare queens they're always going on about.

actually-noting the quality of their recent contributions to society...nevermind. They can stick to the pointless stuff.

"I, _______, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge these duties; So help me God."

The question of religion and legality aside, I'm curious, how do you make students who aren't citizens but in your school system swear to " support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic" ? Oh and withhold their diploma's if they refuse?

The question of religion and legality aside, I'm curious, how do you make students who aren't citizens but in your school system swear to " support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic" ? Oh and withhold their diploma's if they refuse?

The answer is, obviously, to expel foreigners, because they have no business being in the school the first place, filthy bloodsuckers exploiting the law-abiding, hard-working US-American taxpayer.... :roll:

It's not even automatically foreigners :lol:

I became a commie when I was 18, just before I left high school. I could not have sworn that oath if I was American, because it goes directly against my political and religious beliefs. I think it's likely there are Americans feeling the same way :doh:

These guys are so daft.

Very true JFC! I for one wouldn't be swearing oaths like that, just because well no, I've never wanted to publicly swear anything that doesn't feel right to me (If that makes any sense).

I only wondered about the foreigner question having been the 'dirty bloodsucker' (lol) in American public school and I can assure you the Pledge of Allegiance was not my friend. This oath, I would rage.

Thats terrible, it is discriminating against atheists, who either have to not graduate high school or lie.

I know in my area if you are giving testimony in court you can affirm your testimony instead of swearing the oath. The idea is that swearing an oath is a religious idea where affirming is neutral.

Also if you have to sign an oath in front of a notary the propery phrasing from the notary is "do you swear and/or affirm that the information provided..." However I know that when the phrasing was changed a few years ago quite a few notaries gave up their commissions instead of taking god out of the work. :? I will say however that never bothered me much as that meant more work coming my way :lol:

If I lived in a state that instituted this nonsense, I'd do everything in my power to find a job in a sane state so that my son would not be forced to choose between his future and his ideals. Nobody's future should be held hostage in that manner. And these guys rail against the dictors of the world? This is dictatioral in the extreme. Less government my ass!

The answer is, obviously, to expel foreigners, because they have no business being in the school the first place, filthy bloodsuckers exploiting the law-abiding, hard-working US-American taxpayer.... :roll:

Don't worry, the foreigners will just self-deport!

Arizona...the land of a special kind of nuts. I think the desert heat melts people's brains. Thank God I don't have kids in school anymore!

On a serious note, nobody thinks it will stand up to a Constitutional challenge. Something about the First Amendment...you know, the stuff that the fundies and right wing nutjobs conveniently forget.

Arizona...the land of a special kind of nuts. I think the desert heat melts people's brains. Thank God I don't have kids in school anymore!

On a serious note, nobody thinks it will stand up to a Constitutional challenge. Something about the First Amendment...you know, the stuff that the fundies and right wing nutjobs conveniently forget.

QFT. I'm glad I got the Hell out of AZ when my daughter was 3. I can't imagine the time I'd have to spend doing damage control to mitigate the batshit craziness.

I think the Jehova's Witnesses would have aaaaaaaall kinds of problems with that crap.

Also Quakers.

I mean this doesn't just discriminate against atheists and pantheists, it discriminates against some fairly sizable Christian denominations. What losers.

What a crock of shit. Even apart from the mention of God, which is unnecessary and offensive, I am so tired of this faux-patriotic crap. Oddly enough, you can raise responsible citizens without making them swear their SUPER SPESHUL ALLEGIANCE AND DESIRE TO DEFEND THE MOTHERLAND WITH THEIR BARE HANDS IF NEEDED at every juncture.

I have never sworn any kind of allegiance to my country. I imagine most Europeans have not. I still like my country and I would still help it in any way I can should it need me. Eyeroll.

What a crock of shit. Even apart from the mention of God, which is unnecessary and offensive, I am so tired of this faux-patriotic crap. Oddly enough, you can raise responsible citizens without making them swear their SUPER SPESHUL ALLEGIANCE AND DESIRE TO DEFEND THE MOTHERLAND WITH THEIR BARE HANDS IF NEEDED at every juncture.

I have never sworn any kind of allegiance to my country. I imagine most Europeans have not. I still like my country and I would still help it in any way I can should it need me. Eyeroll.

I have read that Europeans consider our daily (in school, anyway) Pledge of Allegiance creepy and weird. Maybe some of our EuroFJers can weigh in on that.

I'm over the uber-patriotic shit too. If the right-wingers succeeded in making over this country according to their ideas, I'd be saying bye to the USA and hello to Canada or one of the Scandinavian countries.

Archived