IGNORED

Courting Rituals

reds

I am fascinated by Courtship ideas and customs. This is one i just read that i thought would be amazing for all the SAHD out there that are feeling trapped.

As if that was not enough, 2012 is a leap year and that, of course, means that there is an extra day in our calendar - 29 February. A centuries-old tradition says that, for the course of that extra day, many of society's norms and traditions could be happily ignored. Chief amongst these changes was the belief that, for one day at least, women could ask men to marry them.
[link=]http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/waleshistory/2012/01/welsh_courting_customs.html[/link]

Most of my courting knowledge comes from here. However, even if their fathers ignored all the rules they've imposed on their daughters to allow them to do the asking, it doesn't sound like they'd have many guys to ask. They don't know any.

(I'm free to date anyone I want, and I don't even have anyone I'd ask to be Mr. Counselor. eHarmony is failing me :roll: )

I have been reading a young woman's experience with courting her husband on ayoungmothersmusings.blogspot.com. If you go to the marriage tab, I think there is about an eight series of articles on the subject. I think she is a good writer.

I have been reading a young woman's experience with courting her husband on ayoungmothersmusings.blogspot.com. If you go to the marriage tab, I think there is about an eight series of articles on the subject. I think she is a good writer.

I love her writing. She is my link to Ruth who then was my link here.

The thing is, there was a whole system of courtship rituals set up in Ye Olde Christian Dayes. Modern fundamentalists have just thrown it all away in favor of keeping girls in purdah. They call it something else, but it's purdah.

Old-fashioned courtship involved a lot more touching than fundamentalists are willing to admit. Boys and girls talked to each other without an adult in between them or a questionnaire in hand. They danced! They held hands! They walked home together--alone!! They decided that they wanted to marry, although parental consent was important to their future happiness.

That reminds me of the Sadie Hawkins Dance we had every year in Jr. High. I don't remember it being held in Nov. or for the purpose of marriage but to get the young girls to know that it was ok for girls to ask boys to dance. Without it we meaning all the kids boy and girls, were very shy and everyone would just go stag in groups of the same sex or mixed but as friends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadie_Hawkins_dance

If anyone remembers that ridiculous courting story that I believe was shared here a while back; where the girl put on her wedding dress for like a week, not knowing when her "prince charming" was going to show up to take her away, I'd LOVE to get that bookmarked. TIA!

prairiemuffin: wasn't that Maranatha Chapman? Should be easy to google.

Thanks, but that wasn't the one I was thinking about. This was pretty recent, and included some video of the groom sneaking up to the house and then blowing a horn to announce his arrival.

Thanks, but that wasn't the one I was thinking about. This was pretty recent, and included some video of the groom sneaking up to the house and then blowing a horn to announce his arrival.

Weird. I must have missed that one. When you find it, let me know because that sounds interesting. (the creepy kind of interesting...)

Weird. I must have missed that one. When you find it, let me know because that sounds interesting. (the creepy kind of interesting...)

Absolutely. It was RIDICULOUS. I'm kicking myself for not bookmarking it.

Is it this one?

lnDlwPoou9g

Is it this one?

lnDlwPoou9g

sadly not, but thanks for a good wtf moment!

ETA: I remembered something else! There was a video of the betrothal ceremony where they actually an exchange of money as a "bride price". EWWWW.

OMG!

I have been reading the website for Maranatha's Website [link=]www.kindlingpublications.com[/link]

I start reading a article and I start to think that this woman makes alot of sense... then she blows it and i go back to be snarky.

She could suck someone in really easily.

....Okay what the fuck is with that trailer? Seriously, they're showing all these happy shots of a wedding and the music in the background is all ominous and epic--like the preparations for the Battle of Hogwarts, and then the tone of some of the clips was all over the place. And that's not even going into what people are actually *saying* in it.

Maybe you're conflating a few different fundies. The Smiths and Mortons (as well as the Antonion/Vawsers) did the whole sneaking up and blowing the horn thing, but the brides knew the specific day, just not the "hour."

EDIT Yep, I think you're combining your stories, as they also did the bride price thing.

Archived