IGNORED

Things of note about Joy

FJismyheadship

Joy is almost 15.

When Jessa and Jinger were fifteen, they were wearing makeup and perming their hair. Jana and Jill were at least fixing their hair at that age... I dont remember very well lol.

Joy however, seems to have no interest in makeup or her hair. She seems perfectly content to pull it back into a ponytail, and judging by the way it looks by the middle or end of the day, she doesnt really give a damn if its neat and pretty all the time or not.

For the past few years, the J'Slaves skirts have been getting shorter and shorter. Jill even defrauded us by wearing one ABOVE her knees (although she was wearing tights so maybe that was okay) Joy however keeps on with the long skirt. Is Joy simply not interested in wearing a shorter skirt? Is she not allowed because she still does things like play basketball with dad and the boys thus possibly defrauding someone? Or is she getting her sisters hand me downs, and when they were her size all they had was the long skirts? Does she not get new clothes, or does she not care as much about fashion as her sisters do?

I cant decide if all of these things make her the perfect quiverful wife someday, or if it means she's so far away from it that someday she will rebel?

Guest Anonymous

I always thought of Joy as a bit of a tomboy..maybe that explains why she doesn't "do" her hair or wear makeup. The other girls seem much more girly to me.

I think she's wearing her sister's old clothes, and she's going through the Jim-boob plan for little girls to crush their souls. I really hope she makes a break for it. I hope they all do, but I think Joy will get the short end of the stick. She's the youngest J-slave, with a whole slew of young boys under her. I can see her worn out and feeling like an eighty year old woman at twenty.

I would love to steal her, and buy her some jeans and an Ipod - give her a normal life. Instead, boob and mullet will make sure she does their work for them, under the guise of traning her to be a helpmeet.

The Duggars are insane. :cry:

I think she secretly tries on Amy's old jeans when she visits Aunt Deanna.

A good friend of mine (total atheistic career woman) has a son who married (and became himself) an Apostolic fundie. She has two young granddaughters she often takes for weekends, and as soon as sonny and wifey have left, she lets them change into jeans and sweatshirts to play. The girls love it. The older one goes to public school and she told grandma recently she loves "feeling normal".

I'm not sure how she gets away with it, but the free babysitting probably helps.

I guess I was just wondering why they didnt try to make her seem more girly. Obviously the tomboy thing cant fly for much longer, because what man that Jim Bob would allow his daughter to marry would want a wife that thinks like and acts like a boy? They could try to make her wear some clothes that were more "girly" or maybe somehow force her to get a perm... especially if perms are part of the Gothard thing. What was it I read somewhere... soft curls are Christ like? Joy keeps her hair straight. If you want to crush a girls spirit, why not force her to be someone she's not? Will she rebel more if they try to MAKE her curl her hair and wear clothes that look more girly? If they tell her she cant even play basketball with dad and her brothers?

Personally, I love Joy's hair the way it is now. It looks very nice untouched by perms and hairspray and stuff. I do think she could have some better fitting clothes... although maybe she likes having her clothes be all loose?

Personally, I don't think crushing a girls spirit has all that much to do with outward looks, although it can be involved. The sub-culture Joy has been raised in will work from the inside out, and the problems that will come from that will be life-lasting, if she does not break free. Her clothing is still very "gothard", from a secular perspective, and her parents may not care to change it, as long as Joy tows the line.

What was it I read somewhere... soft curls are Christ like?

*snort* Ain't no way you could call those Duggar curls "soft". Soft, to me, is loose and romantic, not nearly as tight as what we see, and certainly not gummed up all to hell with hairspray and gel. I'm thinking at least a 1.5" diameter, here.

Boob needs to fire his daughters' hairdresser. Surely it's possible to get something other than a Brillo pad out of a permanent wave?

Boob needs to fire his daughters' hairdresser. Surely it's possible to get something other than a Brillo pad out of a permanent wave?

They do their own hair at home. Just the way Daddy likes it. :(

*snort* Ain't no way you could call those Duggar curls "soft". Soft, to me, is loose and romantic, not nearly as tight as what we see, and certainly not gummed up all to hell with hairspray and gel. I'm thinking at least a 1.5" diameter, here.

http://www.recoveringgrace.org/2012/01/ ... y-of-hair/

Its in the third comment, thats where I read it. :)

A few years ago, Joy was wearing knee-length, fuller skirts with leggings underneath. This combination allowed for more freedom of movement than the narrow, stiff, denim skirts we see on most fundie girls. But Joy was only about eleven then. Maybe she isn't allowed to wear anything like that now?

I honestly think she is more Tom-Boyish and the longer wider skirts give her more movement.

But I've noticed the last year or so, her being lumped with the older 4 girls more-so on outings and such. So I think they are definitely trying to influence her with the older girls more!

She is definitely the one to watch for rebelling I think!

Personally, I don't think crushing a girls spirit has all that much to do with outward looks, although it can be involved.

For me, it was a huge part of it, and dressing how I wanted to was a huge part of my rebellion! We never did the "dresses only" but my dresses had to be below the knee and no cleavage at all (no v-necks, even). I started finding myself when I bought things like a kilt-inspired mini skirt, flannel shirts, baby doll dresses, and low cut peasant blouses (it was the 90's what can I say).

I think that crushing someones spirit is very individual, and it can be done with clothes for some. I want to buy Joy some skinny jeans and Converse so badly!

Archived