IGNORED

Gingrich on the Daily Show Last Night

pomology

I was just watching last night's Daily Show and the first segment was about Newt Gingrich.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I am absolutely horrified by how shamelessly racist he is.

I mean, yes, I understand that people are still really racist. And I'm not surprised that Gingrich is racist per se. But I'm surprised that he seems so ignorant of the fact that he's racist. Like, how does he not realize how offensive he is.

I mean, I hear politicians say a lot of crazy shit. But I'm so used to it, that normally I just hear it and shake my head and that's the end of it. But Gingrich blabbering on about how he would tell the NAACP about paychecks so they prefer them to food stamps and calling Spanish the language of the ghetto, just made me cringe.

Like, I said, I shouldn't be surprised. But this makes me so mad. :evil:

I mean, I hear politicians say a lot of crazy shit. But I'm so used to it, that normally I just hear it and shake my head and that's the end of it. But Gingrich blabbering on about how he would tell the NAACP about paychecks so they prefer them to food stamps and calling Spanish the language of the ghetto, just made me cringe.

What? They just don't know about paychecks, well that explains everything!!! :roll:

Technically Spanish is not the language of the ghetto, Italian is. Or Yiddish. Depending on how you look at it. :D

I record the Daily Show to watch in the morning. Like the OP,it amazed me that Gingrich was unaware that his comments were racist. He expressed surprise that the NAACP didn't accept his offer to teach them the difference between a paycheck and food stamps. That isn't hyperbole or me being snarky. Gingrich really didn't understand why people weren't grateful for his offer to talk to the NAACP.

He was also against bilingual education because kids need to learn the language of prosperty not the ghetto.

edited for clarity

He was also against bilingual education because kids need to learn the language of prosperty not the ghetto.

His racist comments are so absurd I'm not even sure how to respond...but this is also quite stupid. By living in an English-speaking environment, the children will learn English, and bilingual school means two languages. Sure, English has what linguists call overt prestige in being the dominant language, but that doesn't make it a language of prosperity. Furthermore being bilingual has many advantages, not just in terms of applying for jobs or some such but also in terms of linguistic and cognitive abilities. It does not harm any child (including those with SLI) to learn more than one language. And it is far, far easier, due to various reasons that everyone argues different theories about, to learn another language as a child. All modern linguistic research supports these points. Being bilingual does not mean you won't learn English, that you won't become a successful adult, or that you'll be stuck in the "ghetto" etc. /end rant before I go crazy

(obviously am also against racism, just having studied linguistics extensively this mindset irks the hell out of me...)

Not only is Newt racist but he is also incomptent. If he knew anything, he would know that most of the people in the SNAP program for food stamps are white.

Even if some group of poor people listened, what would he say?

Newt: "Let me tell you why a paycheck is better than food stamps..."

Poor person: "Um, I already know that. A paycheck can be spent on anything, while food stamps can only be used for food."

Newt: "Then why are you choosing food stamps over a paycheck?"

Poor person: "I'm not. I work full time, but I don't make enough to cover rent *and* food. So food stamps pay for food, and paycheck pays for rent, electric, all that other stuff."

Newt: "Why can't you just be more frugal?"

Poor person: "I am as frugal as it gets. You try living on $800 a month!"

Newt: "Then get a better job."

Poor person: "In my area, there are no better jobs. I'm lucky to be working. That's why we really need for Congress to turn this economy around."

Newt: (turns to staff) "This isn't on camera, is it?"

Newt, please, PLEASE come tell me why a paycheck is better than food stamps. And bring a camera!

If Miss Piggy had a brother, he would look just like ole Newt.

That's an insult to Piggy.

Newt does have a sister, btw. She's a lesbian who has said she wouldn't vote for him for dog catcher.

His racist comments are so absurd I'm not even sure how to respond...but this is also quite stupid. By living in an English-speaking environment, the children will learn English, and bilingual school means two languages. Sure, English has what linguists call overt prestige in being the dominant language, but that doesn't make it a language of prosperity. Furthermore being bilingual has many advantages, not just in terms of applying for jobs or some such but also in terms of linguistic and cognitive abilities. It does not harm any child (including those with SLI) to learn more than one language. And it is far, far easier, due to various reasons that everyone argues different theories about, to learn another language as a child. All modern linguistic research supports these points. Being bilingual does not mean you won't learn English, that you won't become a successful adult, or that you'll be stuck in the "ghetto" etc. /end rant before I go crazy

(obviously am also against racism, just having studied linguistics extensively this mindset irks the hell out of me...)

My mother, a special education and ESL teacher with a M.Ed, agrees with you.

For kids who speak English as a first language, it is easier to learn Spanish as a child.

For kids who speak Spanish as a first language, it allows them to develop a higher level of language skills. This is also why it is important for parents to speak their native language to their children - kids don't need to learn broken English, they need to have good communication with parents and to hear their parents use a higher level of language even if that language is not English.

Archived