IGNORED

Bates Horses Discussed On Horse City

debrand

http://forums.horsecity.com/index.php?s ... c=47093327

I was looking for a photo of the Bates' horses. Because my knowledge of horses is slim, I wondered what the animals looked like. Although I could not find a photo no matter what keywords that I used, I did find a thread on a horse forum where the posters were pretty critical of the Bates. Some of the comments sound similar to what people on this forum have stated.

I see folks riding horses that are WAY too thin. Maybe there is a good reason for the thin state, but I think they are too thin to be ridden. I would also not trust two small children on a grown horse without anyone having any control.

ETA, after I read the response, that I guess I could not fault the Duggars unless they were honestly educated on the subject of horse health and welfare and still continued. They are obviously not horse people in any sense of the word, and only have the Bates' to tell them what's what.

I would fault the Bates family 100%. I understand they have rescued some horses, but they still should not be ridden in that condition. Their horsemanship looks entirely self-taught.

I grew up riding horses, but I have never owned them as an adult. But even I can tell you: appropriate apparel is necessary, a thin horse needs to rest and eat, and you don't pull horses around by the bit.

Those horses were way too thin to be ridden. One of them, even to an untrained eye, I can't see someone thinking it was a healthy weight. You would have to be really willfully ignorant to think such a bony horse is ok to be ridden.

And yeah, the flipflips, no helmet, young children on a horse is terrifying.

Hold up... When Gil Bates was letting those kids trying mount and ride the pony bareback (without helmets even), the pony was a stallion? Is he a fucking moron? You don't let kids mess around with a fucking stallion!

Don't lump all stallions in the same boat. We had a pony stallion for years who was a perfect gentleman. If this stallion has to live with howler monkeys, he's probably pretty bomb-proof. (Doesn't excuse helmets and flip-flops though!)

I haven't seen the horses in question, but based on everything I've read, it all sounds pretty suspect. Fundies can't even care for their kids—I wouldn't expect them to care properly for an expensive, sensitive animal like a horse. Miss Raquel's horsemanship only further proves the point.

Hold up... When Gil Bates was letting those kids trying mount and ride the pony bareback (without helmets even), the pony was a stallion? Is he a fucking moron? You don't let kids mess around with a fucking stallion!

Okay, again, I know nothing about horses. Excuse the ignorance of this

How do you learn to geld a horse? Will the process make the pony more gentle or does the horse need training?

Okay, again, I know nothing about horses. Excuse the ignorance of this

How do you learn to geld a horse? Will the process make the pony more gentle or does the horse need training? Is it safe to geld the horse in the middle of a field? What about hygiene?

No freak out here. :)

Because I haven't owned large farm animals, sometimes mundane things fascinate me. That gelding photo made me curious about all sorts of things that have nothing to do with the Bates or their fundie lifestyle. The fact that the pony can run around afterwards amazes me.

Because I haven't owned large farm animals, sometimes mundane things fascinate me. That gelding photo made me curious about all sorts of things that have nothing to do with the Bates or their fundie lifestyle.

Years back, I bought an adult stallion (12 years old, with numerous foals all over a neighboring state, he had the equipment and knew how to use it!). I had him gelded, but at his age and with his-uh-experience, it didn't make a whole lot of difference in his behavior.

Because I haven't owned large farm animals, sometimes mundane things fascinate me. That gelding photo made me curious about all sorts of things that have nothing to do with the Bates or their fundie lifestyle. The fact that the pony can run around afterwards amazes me.

Years back, I bought an adult stallion (12 years old, with numerous foals all over a neighboring state, he had the equipment and knew how to use it!). I had him gelded, but at his age and with his-uh-experience, it didn't make a whole lot of difference in his behavior.

How do you learn to geld a horse? Will the process make the pony more gentle or does the horse need training? Is it safe to geld the horse in the middle of a field? What about hygiene?

It's with horses as with dogs. The same behaviour a very small dog exhibits is considered "cute", but in a big dog, it would be considered (and would be!) dangerous.

A small horse as well as a small dog can do considerable damage, if they hit/bite the right spot. This is irresponsible.

And in my opinion, miniature horses are not always the most gentle ponies. They can be, as shetland ponies, quite mischievous. I'd much prefer to teach young children with a Welsh Mountain or similar, who are, only judging from the horses I've worked with, more gentle, the few inches added in height don't matter that much. Things and animals are not per se suited for children due to their size.

And never-ever wear anything but closed and stable shoes when working with horses! :shock:

Horses do not "know" that humans have no ard hooves as themselves, so they are not able to "take care" of their humans and their feet, no matter how gentle the horse is.

I thought Kelly made a long post comment about how they adopt those horses in worse state than they are now. I dunno, still unsafe to ride without a helmet anyway, but look at all those people riding bikes without helmets... either actions just boggle my mind.

I thought Kelly made a long post comment about how they adopt those horses in worse state than they are now. I dunno, still unsafe to ride without a helmet anyway, but look at all those people riding bikes without helmets... either actions just boggle my mind.

I'm not worried about the kids--we rode horses back in the 60s in anything and were fine. BUT, we were taught to ride and to respect the horse. Horses need real food just like kids need real food. That's a big part of the problem!

I'm not worried about the kids--we rode horses back in the 60s in anything and were fine. BUT, we were taught to ride and to respect the horse. Horses need real food just like kids need real food. That's a big part of the problem!

I dunno, still unsafe to ride without a helmet anyway, but look at all those people riding bikes without helmets... either actions just boggle my mind.

Archived