IGNORED

Seventh Day Adventist beliefs....are they quiverfull?

alysee

I have been reading up on Adventists this week and I have noticed they seem pretty conservative including believing in young earth creationism but there isn't anything tat I have read about them being quiverfull? Are they or is that how they differ?

I don't know a whole lot about SDA. I know a few people who are SDA and they aren't quiverfull. One of the people I know is a woman with 5 kids from two different marriages. She had three kids with her first husband and became SDA when she married her second husband. The other people that I know that are SDA have 2 kids.

Granted I didn't get very involved in their religious practices, but my former stepchildren were SDA. They didn't believe in wearing jewelry or makeup, and dressed very conservatively.

And they also had a lot of pseudo-Jewish beliefs: keeping the Sabbath as Saturday. From sundown on Friday, they would not watch TV or go into a store (no internet at that point) and they eschewed pork and shellfish.

SDAs are like Protestants, from my experience. You'll find some that are pretty liberal and some that are fundamentally hardcore. The SDAs that we know are in the liberal category (wear jewelry, make-up, but don't eat pork) but their parents are hard-core.

I don't think so. I know an SDA girl whose parents are really against having more than two children because of overpopulation. She is liberal, though I don't know where her parents stand other than being very religious.

I've never known a quiverfull SDA. The ones I've known have been way into healthy eating/lifestyle. That seems to be the one thing I've seen them have in common (in my experience).

Quite a lot of my family are SDA.

They are definately not quiver full. They do not believe in the New Covernant. In part this means they won't eat pig products, shellfish etc but really believe in the "body is temple". This means plenty are vegetarian. They have church on Saturdays only.

They are often frugal - never known a family with more than 3 children. Their views are conservative - no rock music (Satan!) not too much TV. Nothing too rude/worldly. There are SDA schools too.

They believe in the teachings of Ellen White.

They're basically ok.

Some are, some aren't. I think it is the same as in any other denomination of any religion, you will find your extremists and fundies everywhere.

Some are, some aren't. I think it is the same as in any other denomination of any religion, you will find your extremists and fundies everywhere.

There is an SDA college back where I'm from, and they are known for their nursing program, along with other biological science programs. I can't imagine teaching YEC and expect to have top notch grads (which they do).

They also have some programs in emergency management (disaster relief work) and like that would be geared towards missionary types.

Back in the 70's, I worked at a cafeteria run by SDA's. They weren't open on Saturdays, odd for a downtown establishment, but were open on Sundays. They gave me a lot of guff for wanting to have Sundays off, and they weren't exactly followers of Quiverfull, from what I could tell. The place was based on their vegan belief system, and while some of their foods were interesting, much of was not, IMO. One half of the store was restaurant, the other half, vitamins and supplements.

I grew up SDA and still go to their churches. I don't consider myself Seventh Day Adventist, but for now they're the closest to what I do believe. Which I'm still figuring out, so that could change.

NO. We are not quiverfull. Seventh Day Adventists believe in birth control. You may have your odd pockets of SDA fundies who don't, but as a denomination it's not frowned upon to limit the size of your family, in fact, many Adventists would agree that having as many kids as possible without the means to do so is reckless and irresponsible, as well as not being a good steward of God given resources.

Some SDAs are very conservative, yes. However, Adventists living on the west coast tend to be a lot more liberal than those on the east coast. You'll find less vegan/vegetarians on the west coast, and more Adventists will dance and wear jewelry.

I would not consider most Adventists to be fundy or even fundy lite. However, you do have your small pockets of exceptions: I knew a family in academy where the women/girls only wore skirts, and the girl got furious when her teachers told her to go to the gymnastics performance in the gym, because she thought the techno music was of the devil, but again, she was one of only about 2 people in a school of 250 to have such beliefs.

I'll answer any questions about SDAism. I don't mind.

Archived