IGNORED

That Wife's selfish Christmas.... while T1 was sleeping...

Guest purposing

Guest Anonymous

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but, really: on Christmas Eve That Wife did her hair all pretty for when the family and friends came round. They had gift-giving... and then, hoorah, T1 woke up and came to join the end of the party!

I get that kids get cranky without their naps, but would you really not alter the time of either the nap or the gift-giving session, in order to have a 1 year old present for gift-opening? I'm not surprised by ThatBitch, but I would have thought someone would have stepped in and woke the poor kid up!

Right as we were finishing brunch, our friends came over for a little gift exchange time.

My mom gave a french press, and some choffy. It was like a choffy Christmas for us.

T1 woke up and the kids were EXCITED. They love him.

I cannot stand her and I think she is a terrible, self centred mother, but in this instance, I would probably have done the same. switching up or cutting nap times never works well for mine. I would likely have waited for him to wake up and opened presents then, but possibly not, because making older children wait for a baby to wake up seems a bit mean to them. Under two years mine have always been pretty clueless as to what's going on, in any case.

Older kids waiting for nap time to be over has never been a problem in my family. The older kids always seem to understand that a little wait won't kill them. I call her on the selfishness.

Naps are sacred in my house. You do not mess with the naps. Life is arraigned by the naps. I think TW is truly abominable in many ways, but not in this case. Little people need their sleep.

I would have planned around the nap schedule if possible. We had people over on Christmas day and knowing my son naps from 2-4 we told everyone to arrive at 4 pm. He woke up early around 3:30 and was wide awake to greet everyone. If you didn't have that flexibility I would have just let him sleep thorugh it. Like on New Years my MIL wanted us to keep him up until midnight but we put him to bed at her house at his normal bedtime and only woke him up to go home. He would have been a beast staying up that late and while he missed some fun his sleep was more important.

I give a pass on this one.

I do not wake up the baby. Ever. She's a lousy sleeper and while it sucks sometimes (okay, often), I do NOT wake up the baby.

And I can't schedule around her naps because the naps don't happen on a schedule. Oh, we've tried to put them on a schedule, but they don't happen on a schedule.

She's got plenty to snark about without this :)

Rule #1: do not voluntarily wake a napping baby/toddler. We plan family activities around nap and bedtime, including Christmas. I give her a pass on this one.

Yeah, I would have to agree with the other posters who give her a pass. Having a lot of expectations on kids to act or behave a certain way at holidays is a recipe for disaster. I've learned over the years to just let it happen as it happens has a much better chance at a successful and happy holiday rather than trying to make it all "perfect". Just my two cents. I have unusual circumstances with special needs kids so that might make it different.

It sounded like just a few friends came over - it wasn't the big Gift Exchange. In that case, I would keep a kid asleep too.

Although That Wife is sitll a horrible mother. ;)

I don't have a problem with it. It may be the only child-centered decision that she's ever made. IMHO, waking up a child and having them being around a crowd of relative strangers playing "pass the baby" is more selfish than respecting their sleep schedule.

I was an asshole and woke my son up during his 1st birthday party to open presents and eat cake. The resulting pictures are absolutely hilarious. Most of them show a conked out toddler. However, in my defense, he does NOT have a regular nap schedule. (We have tried and tried and tried) He will go down anywhere between 11am and 5pm, no joke but USUALLY goes around 1pm 75% of the time. So me planning a party on a sunday was a crap shoot either way. If I had had it at 5-6 ish no one would have come. That day was the day of all days he chose 3pm, RIGHT as his guests were arriving. I had chosen 3pm because I figured, he never takes more than a cat nap, so even IF he falls asleep at 2ish, then he'd still be up by 3.

As much as I hate to give TW a pass on ANYTHING, i'll give her a pass on this one.

At that age, I don't see it as a big deal. Children that young are not going to remember anything about holidays or parties.

Just like how a one year old isn't going to remember whether or not you had a birthday party for turning one, so I'd probably say to a parent not to bother at that age unless it's something the parents want to do for their own sake.

At that age, I don't see it as a big deal. Children that young are not going to remember anything about holidays or parties.

Just like how a one year old isn't going to remember whether or not you had a birthday party for turning one, so I'd probably say to a parent not to bother at that age unless it's something the parents want to do for their own sake.

Yeah it was one of those "i got pressured into it" by my folks, and I was perfectly willing to let him SLEEP until he woke up but my mother declared it was time to wake him up.

:evil:

It just seems that if she were really excited about T1 sharing xmas with people, she would have waited an hour or two until he was awake. That doesn't seem so outrageous to me. Older kids are quite capable of waiting/being distracted until little ones are awake.

wtf is choffee?

I think it's some chocolate drink that's made in a french press, but I think it's strange that a Mormon like TW would want to drink something that resembles coffee, or that TH would let her drink it.

I don't think it's a big deal. Keeping everyone waiting would have been awkward, especially as it was just friends who came for a couple of hours.. and probably had other things to do on Christmas besides the one visit. Plus an almost two year old woken up from a nap is often not very pleasant.

I'm not defending TW, but I tend to think if it weren't for all the appalling things she does we probably would give a pass to any normal mother who did this kind of thing. We may not personally agree but we just wouldn't give it another thought.

I officially still think she's a bitch and a bad mother.

Choffy is caffeine free, but has other properties that give you some energy. I've never tried it but really want to! Supposedly if you love chocolate, it's the drink for you.

I think choffee looks super interesting - I told my husband about it (seriously the man is the biggest chocolate addict ever) and he was in a three point stance to order some practially before I finished talking!

That said, I do *not* understand how roasted coffee beans are forbidden to mormons, but roasted chocolate beans are totally ok. Don't get it.

I think choffee looks super interesting - I told my husband about it (seriously the man is the biggest chocolate addict ever) and he was in a three point stance to order some practially before I finished talking!

That said, I do *not* understand how roasted coffee beans are forbidden to mormons, but roasted chocolate beans are totally ok. Don't get it.

Yeah! I saw the french press bit and was like "uh...that's not how that works!" I think most Mormons disapprove of even decaf coffee. And I thought choffee was like, a candy or something. *scratches head*

And since TW drinks Pepsi, I don't think it's the caffeine in coffee she objects to. And since she drinks choffee it can't be the "hot drink" thing she objects to. Logic fail for the LDS anti-tea and anti-coffee thing. :roll:

Then any organization that tells me what I can and cannot put in my mouth can just suck it. I'll take my coffee, bacon, beef, and alcohol, thankssss!

Chocolate has caffeine and also another stimulant called theobromine.

I am just snurking that TW probably won't drink herbal tea because good ole Joe Smith said not to have hot drinks... but a brewed drink chock full of various stimulants is A-OK.

Chocolate has caffeine and also another stimulant called theobromine.

I am just snurking that TW probably won't drink herbal tea because good ole Joe Smith said not to have hot drinks... but a brewed drink chock full of various stimulants is A-OK.

No, Mormons can have herbal tea. Sometimes it's called "Mormon tea," even! There's just seriously NO LOGIC in this one.

Archived