IGNORED

Fundies and video games

AtroposHeart

Why do fundies have such a hate-on for video games. I figured with it being a male dominated hobby that it would be respected, but no, and apparantly all men who play them are stuck in childhood

and female gamers don't exist, cause I've never seen a fundie discuss a gamer in a bigender, or gender neutral sense. It's only male.

Why the hate?

My guess: portrayals of violence, sex, and objectified women in some of the games. As for games in general, the whole "idle hands" thing.

I'm going to assume that video games produce lazy men, and lazy men aren't "leaders".

And I know some non-fundie, family-oriented people don't care for them as much because it takes the kids away from family time.

Our one friends who went totally fundy had no problem with violence in video games, and let their teen son play shooting games all the time, but did have problems with nudity/sex in the games.

I'm sure it differs from family to family.

I'd guess the general hatred of videogames is like the hatred of TV - anything that makes parenting easier for Mom is bad in Moms-of-Many world.

My fundie sister is allowing me to buy her boys a hunting game for the Wii for x-mas! They don't play their Wii all that much and its usually the whole family and doing it for exercise.They don't have a TV and they live in the middle of nowhere so I guess its allowed in the winter. Her older boys hunt all the time, so a hunting game was acceptable.

I admit it, I love video games. They don't consume my life but I have fun both with my family playing some of the games. Right now, my entire family is taking turns playing Skyrim. Video games do not have to take time away from family. We often watch one another play and not in the dead, staring way that TV sometimes produces. We encourage one another and laugh.

My guess as to why the funders dislike the games is because video games are a modern invention. Also, video games are fun just for the sake of fun. Mindless entertainment offends some fundies. There is also the myth that playing a video game will always keep people from actually getting out and actively enjoying life. This isn't true. Video games, just like everything else, should be enjoyed in moderation. I think that the same people who get addicted to video games get addicted to other things in life

They also don't have as much control over the moral content of games. Skyrim, for example, allows gay marriage and good/bad choices. There are nine Divines instead of one god. Morally, there are some gray areas also. Racism is depicted in the game(well, racism against other species) A fundie parent would hate Skyrim

Someone at the Keller household has a Wii... Mac was playing with the controller in one episode. So not all fundies are100% against them.

I knew a fundie lite family that wasn't against video games. The father in that family was a computer repair guy and he was into a lot of PC games and the family had Nintendo consoles like the N64 and the earlier consoles.

Some of the fundie bloggers we discuss here have posted about being against video games for violence, idolatry and other issues.

Someone at the Keller household has a Wii... Mac was playing with the controller in one episode. So not all fundies are100% against them.

I wonder if the Kellers play Just Dance or DDR :lol:

Back when I was pg and confined to bed with the last 2 boys video games kept me from going stark raving mad. Bah, let them hate it, more for me.

SOMEHOW... I don't find it too difficult to imagine JD playing shooting games. Like Doom or something. Not after his disismyrifle, disismygun picture.

I hope the Kellers play Just Dance. That would be spectacular.

Esp. Mrs Keller, who looks at least 90 in those glasses of hers XD

They should invent Violin Hero for the kids. And instead of 'You suck' - which they DO on the violin - something like 'I pray for you' shall pop up. And a pregnant fundie crowd in the background holding babies and guns, cheering or sobbing.

For Dill, there could be 'Violin Heroine' (as a female hero here)

SOMEHOW... I don't find it too difficult to imagine JD playing shooting games. Like Doom or something. Not after his disismyrifle, disismygun picture.

He would probably love games like those. But I doubt the Duggars have ever had computer or console games. I don't see Boob shelling out money for stuff like that. Didn't Doom or Wolfenstein 3D show the characters urinating? I could see Boob and Mullet going crazy if they saw stuff like that.

They should invent Violin Hero for the kids. And instead of 'You suck' - which they DO on the violin - something like 'I pray for you' shall pop up. And a pregnant fundie crowd in the background holding babies and guns, cheering or sobbing.

For Dill, there could be 'Violin Heroine' (as a female hero here)

A game like that would be perfect for the Duggars.

Didn't Doom or Wolfenstein 3D show the characters urinating? I could see Boob and Mullet going crazy if they saw stuff like that.

I apologize, I never looked at it this way. :D

But then, a game wherer they have to perform a C-section should not be a problem. Almost as great as Doom or Wolfenstein.

I apologize, I never looked at it this way. :D

But then, a game wherer they have to perform a C-section should not be a problem. Almost as great as Doom or Wolfenstein.

A game like that would be perfect for the J'Slaves.

j

...Combichrist reference? ;)

Archived