IGNORED

moving like the Duggars

homeschoolmomma1

So my family is moving and I was just curious as to how the Duggars move so I looked it up in their first book. I'm sorry but Michelle buys those file boxes (which run about 15 dollars for 10 at Walmart) I know she does it so she can have her system of index cards but my gosh that is sort of a waste for stuff you will just unload later. However, they don't pack the dresses they just roll them around.

May be it is because I'm cheap but our family uses boxes from other people and stores. I like to get something free and save the difference

When my family moved, we used a bunch of free banana boxes we got from the local grocery store. They work especially well for books (of which I had 11 boxes, because I'm a reading junkie) and movies/DVDs/computer disks. We moved clothes either in the dresser drawers they normally go in or in big plastic tubs we already had in the house.

So much for the Duggars being thrifty.

I bought the file boxes at Target, and the books will be sorted and put into various boxes to take to Goodwill, SA, and the like. Easier to take than lots of grocery bags. We downsized this move as far as losing an office and having to change desks. I ended up getting a 4 drawer sterilite stacked thing at Target that holds my office supplies as well as some files. I still need something to hold all my files.

I hate moving. This one I hope is the last for a few years. Stress level went through the roof.

Good luck on yours!

:angelic-blueglow:

banana boxes ROCK. our last move, i got a ton from freecycle, too...there's always somebody who has recently moved and is wondering what to do with their boxes! i posted that i was looking for 'em, and quickly had more than enough.

(edited for clarity)

Check with your local liquor store, too, if they have any boxes they're willing to part with. The dividers in wine or liquor boxes make them work really well for moving glasses or other fragile objects.

I would check Craigslist or Freecycle. There are a lot of organized movers out there who simply get rid of stuff as soon as they unpack. I've always gotten lucky :)

Does Costco give away its boxes, or do you have to buy stuff for them to give them to you? If they'll give them to you, Costco is a box wonderland. Smart & Final also has boxes in front of their store - at least they do at the one by my house.

Good luck with the move!

We saved on moving by:

-getting rid of as much stuff as we could before we moved- we had a garage sale sold things on line (made enough to pay the movers), gave stuff away and threw out stuff(less to move so easier and cheaper)

- we got empty liquor boxes from the liquor store (we're in Canada where only special outlets sell alcohol)

- we did buy two wardrobe boxes (have the hanger rod right inside) and we used these to transport all our clothes (bought from a moving company -were pretty inexpensive)

- I made a whole bunch of sandwiches and got fruit and water bottles so we did not have to buy pizza/soda/fast food on the day of the move

-I organized all our stuff carefully (so the movers easily knew where all the boxes would go and everything was ready to be moved) :) - so the movers (paid by the hour) were really quick

-I downloaded some checklists of things to remember/do when moving from the internet

- I packed off my pets to stay with family while we were moving

- not sure about the US but in Canada lots of moving expenses may be deductible from your taxes so I kept every receipt

good luck with the move :)

Thank you- My children are a big help (I should post a picture of them) and hubby is great too. I like to be organized but to me Michelle stole all her ideas from someone else and then just reprinted it

Even when they moved from the rental house you can see them setting up boxes. Michelle supervised her kids putting everything in boxes. I think at one point she labeled something with a black marker. I think they use their kids as free labor.

When we discussed moving my kids were sad but my husband finally got a decent job to support the family (horrible economy :( )

p.s.- we have enough boxes thanks :)

Just so everyone knows the big move is tomorrow- I wanted to pop in and say that I am doing it EXACTLY like Michelle- Tater tot cass etc.

Okay I'm kidding! I should do my hair like her tomorrow haha or I could just have my little kids do all the work and supervise haha

Make sure that any boxes you get from the supermarket or liquor store are pest-free before you bring them into your house. Many disgusting vermin love cardboard.

Good luck with your move!

My husband in a Network Admin/Assistant Tech Director at school district, so he always brings home computer boxes. They pretty much exclusively work with Dell, and their boxes are great because they have handles and they're big, but not too huge that they become unwieldy. You can always check with your local school district to see if they're getting new computers over the summer (which is when they typically replace machines) and what they're doing with the boxes.

Archived