IGNORED

re-post- Duggars Make me ill, yet again

thoughtful

mmmkay:

So why, oh why, do I keep tuning in on Tuesday nights and give them ratings?

I'm a bit of a TLC whore (gypsy wedding, wedding dresses, little people, oh my!), and I just saw the promo for Tuesday's new Duggar show. The narrator is so dramatic, saying, "It's a DUGGAR EMERGENCY," followed by videos of Jana cuddling Josie in a hospital bed and one of the J-Slaves talking about how Josie got sick and had a seizure.

Seriously? You're promoting your fragile child's SICKNESS as a way to get viewers? I know they've done this before, but this time... I don't know why... but it's making me sick enough to not ever want to watch the show again (which would make my husband ecstatic). I mean, I can see why they would have to give Josie's sickness airtime-- but use it as a tool to keep people watching? They didn't cover anything else that the episode might show (packing for a trip, making TTC, w/e), just poor, sickly Josie.

A side note-- my husband and I agreed to stop calling the network TLC-- it's now FSN to us (Freak Show Network).

posted by apple1

I cannot watch the Duggar shows. There are too many things like this that set me off.

posted by emmyfair

I can't watch them either - my husband won't let me. He dosen't think my resulting anger is good for my blood pressure.

*I'm too tired ... I can't seem to string words together this am!

Posted by Hopewell

(06/11/11 11:54:21)

I'm sure the intent is to show how responsible and well-trained the young adult Duggars are, but still, never forget Jim-Bob allowed his father's death and funeral to be on the show......

posted by Lainey

(06/11/11 11:58:15)

emmyfair wrote:I can't watch them either - my husband won't let me. He dosen't think my resulting anger is good for my blood pressure.

*I'm too tired ... I can't seem to string words together this am!

My husband heads downstairs (after rolling his eyes) if I try to watch it.

posted by Dreamerx

(06/11/11 12:09:28)

I don't think they intended for it to be part of the show, in the sense that obviously these things just happen and the cameras were there. I doubt they called them like Smuggar did for when Anna was pregnant. However, like Hopewell said, they could have asked it not be in show.

I'll likely watch it any way though.

posted by theologygeek

(06/11/11 12:23:47)

mmmkay wrote:So why, oh why, do I keep tuning in on Tuesday nights and give them ratings?

It wouldn't matter if you watched the show or not, unless you were part of a ratings group such as Nielson. No one knows you're watching and it doesn't count towards ratings if you're not participating in the sample group's survey.

posted by tehgoobster

(06/11/11 12:26:15

Speaking of ratings, someone at TWOP said the ratings for the premiere were under a million. If that's true, I'm kind of shocked they were so low, especially since it was a premiere. I mean, they'd been doing the rounds to promote their new book and the show, so I figured they'd get good ratings this season.

posted by mmmkay

(06/11/11 12:29:00)

theologygeek wrote:

mmmkay wrote:So why, oh why, do I keep tuning in on Tuesday nights and give them ratings?

It wouldn't matter if you watched the show or not, unless you were part of a ratings group such as Nielson. No one knows you're watching and it doesn't count towards ratings if you're not participating in the sample group's survey.

Really? I have to imagine, with the cable boxes and big cable corporations, that someone knows what I'm watching. I'm hoping you're right, though, because then I could watch the Duggars (almost) guilt-free.

posted by Hopewell

(06/11/11 12:47:01)

ratings for the premiere were under a million.

If it had been a late summer/fall/traditional premier time I'd be more worried. June is vacation month. Still, I've said for a while that they need something big, like a courtship , to hold their audience. I really liked the ski trip, but field trip after field trip gets boring. Show us John at work or Grandma at Bridge Club--anything but more "see how well educated our kids are' trips to nothing that ever really relates to curriculum or that makes sense for all ages. They DO have the Grandduggars birth coming up, but let's face it, they've worn birth out as an event! Ditto driver's licenses, wisdom teeth, construction project [unless maybe John or Joe start building a house for a future bride--that might be worth it].

The Paines have spent a lot of time with the Bates--wonder if the show will branch out and show us the Bates without the Duggars???Also wonder if Bates will be at Staddon wedding.

posted by PBrooke

(06/11/11 12:54:02)

theologygeek wrote:

I've heard from pro actors that "same-night ratings" also count if you DVR the show, and watch it that same night. People who are Nielson and those who watch the DVR the same night are supposedly the only ones who count for overnight ratings.

posted by Demgirl

(06/11/11 13:22:30)

'Tis true. It matters not if you watch the Duggars, unless you are a Nielsen family. It's actually a terrible way to truly figure out ratings for shows, but it's the system so... shrug. Watch guilt free!

(This article on Wikipedia has some factual issues, but it does outline the main issues with Nielsen: en.wikipedia.org/w...icism_of_ratings_systems I have to say, the biggest issue, for me, is sample size and selection bias. It is disturbing when you realize 25,000 families, those families that agreed to participate, are the ones who decide what 115,000,000 televisions and 300,000,000 people get to watch.)

I checked Zap2it and the ratings for the premiere were below 1 million (including both live and "same day" [i.e. recorded and watched the same day/night]... 950,000 to be exact. For some perspective, it was beaten by a repeat of i-Carly, and new episodes of The Daily Show, Covert Affairs, White Collar, 16 & Pregnant, Chopped, pretty much all the shows on Adult Swim, etc. Perhaps more worrying (for those who actually want the show to survive, Little Couple at 10 p.m. had almost 200,000 more viewers.

In comparison, back on December 1, 2010, 19 Kids and Counting had a viewership of 1.52 million.

posted by xDreamerx

(06/11/11 14:28:37)

I don't know if this is 100% true, but my cousin claims that if you are not part of the Nielsen group you can purchase this device for your TV which records your viewing stats and makes it part of the ratings. She said you have to program it with demographic info (age and sex I think). She bought to try and save a show she liked.

posted by MrsYoungie

(06/11/11 15:09:02)

I'm still watching, but not sure for how much longer. The novelty of a huge family living frugally in a smallish home with only one or two bathrooms has turned into ho-hum huge family in a huge house with a zillion bathrooms going on vacations that I can't afford. And that was a full hour of boredumb that I won't be getting back.

posted by demgirl

(06/11/11 15:14:10)

xDreamerx wrote:I don't know if this is 100% true, but my cousin claims that if you are not part of the Nielsen group you can purchase this device for your TV which records your viewing stats and makes it part of the ratings. She said you have to program it with demographic info (age and sex I think). She bought to try and save a show she liked.

I've never heard of that, but it's possible. I wouldn't think so though, because that would skew their statistics even more and part of what they claim is that their sample represents an accurate cross-section of America given relative races, spending power, education, etc.

posted by lilwriter85

(06/11/11 15:46:28)

Sometimes I get disgusted watching the show, but overall I watch the show to snark on them. The Duggars and the other families who have reality shows aren't loved all by all their viewers. Through FJ, and other forums, it is obvious many watch for snark reasons. There are some naive Duggar fans that don't have a deep knowledge of the QF or fundie movements. I have communicated with Duggar fans in real life and online that love the family so much that they are unaware that some of the Duggars' extremist beliefs would be against them. The actual fans of the Duggars are part of the reason the show continues because buy the book and DVD's, but eventually their support won't mean much in the future. Some of these fans I have communicated with are some of the dumbest people I ever been in contact with. These are types of people who don't realize how heavily editied reality shows are and how certain details about the family aren't revealed on the show. One fan that I communicated with online once said that the Duggars will make a fortune off DVD's, books, and reruns. I had to laugh at that moron and I felt like explaining to her how the Duggars will never make a huge fortune off their shows or books. But I decided not to, because years from now information about the Duggars not making a lot of money off the show will come out to the public.

To start off the Duggar reality show doesn't have high ratings or enough of a general interest for high DVD sales. The DVD sales are probably below average. Scripted shows sell a lot better than the 19 Kids and Counting. S Also the show will likely only be rerun for a 2 years after it ends. Reality shows don't do well in syndication through cable or local affiliates. Reality shows like Cash Cab and Deadliest Catch are better fits for syndication because people of different backgrounds and younger demographics watch that show which would lead to decent ratings. The older seasons of and Counting are rerun on DFH. I doubt we will ever see the Duggars on local affiliates.

The first Duggar book didn't get huge sales. I doubt Boob and Mullett raked in large royalty checks. Also books written by the Duggars aren't very lucrative in foreign translations, large print and audio books. Foreign publishers tend to buy translations rights for books that they know will sell well in their countries. There are several countries in which a good majority of people wouldn't want to read a book about a large Christian family. With audiobooks, a lot of people wouldn't want to hear someone like Michelle narrate a book. Audiobook sales have been good for several non-fiction and fiction authors and sometimes have book narrated by well known actors and actresses boosts sales. The second book will probably get the same sales numbers as the first one. I don't see an increase happening in sales.

The Duggars like other reality stars have a limited shelf life in the TV world. They have lost fans in time. Once people notice things are off with the family they start doing their research and find out that the fundie and QF lifestyles for other families aren't pretty. A couple of Duggar deceptions have been found out by some viewers who stop watching the show. I think the show end before 2013.

Last Edited By: lilwriter85 06/11/11 15:51:41. Edited 2 times.

posted by slickcat79

(06/11/11 16:04:15)

The first Duggar book didn't get huge sales. I doubt Boob and Mullett raked in large royalty checks.

Speaking of the Duggar books, has anyone read the new one? I was wondering about the general format of the book. I know the first one was written under the guise of a parenting book and not a simple nonfiction. It contained a lot of stories about their life, but when I checked it out from the library it was in the Parenting section. The stories were mostly familiar from having seen the show, and particularly their earlier TLC specials. There was also nothing really revolutionary about their "parenting" advice, except that they supposedly have to apply it to a larger number of kids.

Is the new book similar? Is it supposed to be some kind of guide to raising preemie babies, or just the story of their lives since Josie was born? Either way, I can't imagine the second book will get much more attention than the first. Anyone interested in their story can certainly see just about all of it on the show, even parts about that baby's life that they maybe should have kept to themselves.

posted by mrskay

(06/11/11 16:44:59)

I have the first book, and actually did like a fair bit of it - I was able to glean some ideas from their life before TLC and J-slaves and a massive house. I flipped through the second one the other day when I stopped at the book store, and couldn't be bothered to buy it. It seemed to be mostly Josie - I know enough people with micro-preemies and have spent enough time in the NICU myself to not get overly fascinated by whatever they had to write about that - and their lives in the past couple of years. Nothing that can't be summed up by watching a few reruns and reading FJ threads.

posted by Childless

(06/11/11 17:29:38)

Ugh. I can't stand the Duggars and refuse to watch their show. I have better things to do with my time. I'd rather play with my son than watch tv anyway.

posted by MuseMama

(06/11/11 17:42:36)

I don't like the Duggar's show, but mostly because I find it boring. "Look at us, we're so happy, and we do stuff that's not that interesting, only as a big group with no angst! Whee!"

posted by marmalade

(06/11/11 22:50:03)

mmmkay wrote:

theologygeek wrote:

Really? I have to imagine, with the cable boxes and big cable corporations, that someone knows what I'm watching. I'm hoping you're right, though, because then I could watch the Duggars (almost) guilt-free.

If you DVR/TiVO and watch within 48 hours (I think), it counts towards the ratings, but as noted above, there's the overnight and 72-hour ratings (watched a recorded show within 48 hours of original airing). I wonder if that number helped the anemic Duggar ratings any.

If there is a God, hopefully this is a sign that the show is circling the drain. Without a wedding (the only one who will marry is JD, because the girls would have to move away, thus ending the dog and pony road show) or another miracle Michelle pregnancy can save the show at this point.

Last Edited By: marmalade 06/11/11 22:54:46. Edited 1 times.

posted by lilwriter85

(06/11/11 23:11:03)

I think the show is starting to circle the drain. I agree a wedding or Michelle pregnancy will be needed to retain a decent sized audience.

posted by mmmkay

(06/12/11 13:02:42)

I don't know why, but I have a strong feeling that Jana is going to be engaged during this season... my only good reason being that she wasn't really on-camera very much during the first episode. Also, she's 21-- a year older than Josh was when he got married.

I don't think DQ&Boob need her around... I think they'll hold onto Jinger and Joy as long as possible, though. Can you imagine DQ parenting/cleaning up after/feeding that mess of "middle" boys?

posted by Swamptribe

(06/12/11 14:06:33)

The Duggars have sold out. They are no longer the frugal struggling mega-family they like to portray themselves out, and viewers know it. The Duggars are now no better than the Kardashians or Paris Hilton. I would not be suprised to see extream things done to spike the ratings so they can keep their cash cow on the air.

posted by marmalade

(06/12/11 14:07:50)

From all the public appearances during the last 10 days, Jana has been the ONLY one seen carrying Josie. She ain't going anywhere.

FWIW, the new book has a hilarious section on dating/courtship and....SEX! The editing is horrible; it said that Josh and Anna were married in October, not once, but TWICE. Michelle admits that she can't say no and they're anti-masturbation.

Now if THAT doesn't make you ill, nothing will. I wish they would have put more than a child warning on that chapter. I was so skeeved out I needed a stiff drink after I read it.

posted by SnarkyJan

(06/12/11 14:31:27)

marmalade wrote: From all the public appearances during the last 10 days, Jana has been the ONLY one seen carrying Josie. She ain't going anywhere.

FWIW, the new book has a hilarious section on dating/courtship and....SEX! The editing is horrible; it said that Josh and Anna were married in October, not once, but TWICE. Michelle admits that she can't say no and they're anti-masturbation.

Now if THAT doesn't make you ill, nothing will. I wish they would have put more than a child warning on that chapter. I was so skeeved out I needed a stiff drink after I read it.

You have more self[control that I have. I would have needed a stiff drink BEFORE reading that.

posted by Sola

(06/12/11 14:33:51)

I'm finding myself going off the Duggars. Every episode seems just more of the same. I've got 6 episodes on the harddrive (we're a couple of seasons behind in the UK) and I haven't the urge to watch them.

posted by Hane

(06/12/11 14:37:20)

MrsYoungie wrote:I'm still watching, but not sure for how much longer. The novelty of a huge family living frugally in a smallish home with only one or two bathrooms has turned into ho-hum huge family in a huge house with a zillion bathrooms going on vacations that I can't afford. And that was a full hour of boredumb that I won't be getting back.

OT: This thing is what put me off "Little People, Big World." It started turning into a solid block of product placement.

posted by lilwriter85

(06/12/11 14:57:41)

Swamptribe wrote:The Duggars have sold out. They are no longer the frugal struggling mega-family they like to portray themselves out, and viewers know it. The Duggars are now no better than the Kardashians or Paris Hilton. I would not be suprised to see extream things done to spike the ratings so they can keep their cash cow on the air.

I think many viewers know they are no longer the frugal family, they make themselves out to be. But sadly some viewers believe everything the Duggars and TLC say and some dumb Duggar fans are the types of people who believe that the Duggars deserve all the money and trips TLC gives them just because they are Christians. I'm willing to bet if there was a reality show about a Muslim family, some people would go nuts and bash them.

The Duggars aren't any better than other reality show stars, but with some people they get a free pass because they are a "wholesome Christian family". The only thing that would really spike the ratings would be Michelle getting pregnant with number 20, but I think Michelle's fertillity is declining. The others thing that could spike ratings as others have mentioned is a courtship and wedding.

posted by lilwriter85

(06/12/11 15:01:29)

Hane wrote:

MrsYoungie wrote:I'm still watching, but not sure for how much longer. The novelty of a huge family living frugally in a smallish home with only one or two bathrooms has turned into ho-hum huge family in a huge house with a zillion bathrooms going on vacations that I can't afford. And that was a full hour of boredumb that I won't be getting back.

OT: This thing is what put me off "Little People, Big World." It started turning into a solid block of product placement.

I agree with you on LPBW. I liked that show in the first season but after awhile Matt's constant remodeling of the home and property became annoying.

If you have directv, your DVR numbers are being monitored, but its not the same as the nielsen ratings. A good site for info is

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/

They also have a section that explains how the numbers are broken down.

I'm not surprised the numbers are under a million. The Duggars have lost their novelty and with a new "season" starting every other month its really not a premiere anymore. They're going to have to marry off one of the brood for the ratings bump unless they want to wait for he next of smuggar to be born.

Archived