IGNORED

SAH Daughters with Narcissistic Mothers Research Request

patsymae

Not sure where to post this so starting here. I am writing fiction about home-schooled SAHD with few social skills and not a whole lot to do. They are fundie "royalty" but have few social skills, poor education, little exposure to the outside world, are one another's "best friends," etc.  Father is a patriarch but sort of a dolt and ineffectual abut adored and unquestioningly obeyed the manipulative mother, who is a narcissist and hypochondriac, runs the show. She keeps her daughters infantalized and they adore her and want to please her. Oldest is becoming "old maid" age in their circles. These girls==young women ages 17-23 but I'm using "girls" advisedly-- are beautiful and rich and "royalty" and should be a good catch, but they can't carry on a semblance of a conversation even with most people in their circles. They like to play the piano, act out "plays" and have tea parties. 
So with not a lot of exposure to this world except for following the Duggar site and watching so many purity ball videos I want to poke my eyes out, I'm looking for families/blogs to follow. Jill Rodriquez seems like a pretty good example. The Seven Sisters actually seem to have too many real interests and skills to fit my narrative.
If I'm making any sense, can anyone recommend sites/blogs that have young women who resemble this scenario that I could/should read? I'm especially interested in how very uneducated but totally confident and secure in their superiority write, crazy domineering mothers and fascinations with quack medicine.
Thanks

Edited to add sorry about the typos but I'm a copy editor and nitpick this all day and don't have the energy; it's not disrespect just can't keep editing in my personal life.

Jill Rod for suuuuuure but also Lori Alexander and Zsu Anderson. I would also look at Sarah Maxwell (although in her case, daddy is the bigger nut) and the Ardnts - they are all sons bar one but not one out of home, married or anything. The oldest is what 38? Should help! Good luck!

Narcissistic mothers? I'd look into the Penningtons: the highly publicized "Help Me Prove It" case, Lisa Pennington's bizarre self-absorbed blogs justifying her cruelty, and her weirdness in general. There are a lot of threads on them here.

(Just don't mention Magnolia Pearl clothes in your novel or everyone will know exactly who you're talking about :D )

15 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Narcissistic mothers? I'd look into the Penningtons: the highly publicized "Help Me Prove It" case, Lisa Pennington's bizarre self-absorbed blogs justifying her cruelty, and her weirdness in general. There are a lot of threads on them here.

(Just don't mention Magnolia Pearl clothes in your novel or everyone will know exactly who you're talking about :D )

While it pains me to defend Lisa Pennington in any way (her cruelty and narcissism cannot be overstated), I have been pleasantly astonished at her ability to adapt and maintain or restore relationships with her two escapee daughters. The daughters' FB pages are public, and to put it mildly, they have gone far far afield from their upbringing. And yet they do seem to have relationships with their parents and their siblings still in the collective.

19 hours ago, patsymae said:

Edited to add sorry about the typos but I'm a copy editor and nitpick this all day and don't have the energy; it's not disrespect just can't keep editing in my personal life.

You made me laugh with your postscript! I read your post and was thinking, "Oh dear, I hope she's going to have someone edit this work-in-progress!" :laughing-rollingred:

The Botkin sisters, as suggested previously, would probably be a good place to start. If you want any non-fiction books for research, I'd suggest Pilgrim's Wilderness, Every Knee Shall Bow, and Prophet's Prey, if you haven't read any of those. There are also a lot of good stories on the Homeschoolers Anonymous website.

14 minutes ago, VVV said:

While it pains me to defend Lisa Pennington in any way (her cruelty and narcissism cannot be overstated), I have been pleasantly astonished at her ability to adapt and maintain or restore relationships with her two escapee daughters.

I dunno, I think it took her daughter starting international-level conversations about the identity abuse she suffered, and actual laws being implemented, for her to even admit she was wrong.  I think Alecia was forced to handle it that way, and I have SO much admiration for her.  It wasn't so much that Lisa adapted, it was that it was made crystal clear that she was a terrible mother.  I think she had to work to try to have at least a semblance of a relationship with her daughters, because the only people who supported her were truly terrible themselves, and she faced the option of all of her other children leaving her, and everyone in her community blaming her.

2 minutes ago, Lurky said:

I dunno, I think it took her daughter starting international-level conversations about the identity abuse she suffered, and actual laws being implemented, for her to even admit she was wrong.  I think Alecia was forced to handle it that way, and I have SO much admiration for her.  It wasn't so much that Lisa adapted, it was that it was made crystal clear that she was a terrible mother.  I think she had to work to try to have at least a semblance of a relationship with her daughters, because the only people who supported her were truly terrible themselves, and she faced the option of all of her other children leaving her, and everyone in her community blaming her.

I hadn't thought about it that way, but you have a point.

2 hours ago, VVV said:

While it pains me to defend Lisa Pennington in any way (her cruelty and narcissism cannot be overstated), I have been pleasantly astonished at her ability to adapt and maintain or restore relationships with her two escapee daughters. The daughters' FB pages are public, and to put it mildly, they have gone far far afield from their upbringing. And yet they do seem to have relationships with their parents and their siblings still in the collective.

I don’t think she has much of a relationship with Alecia Faith. AF only seems to still have a decent relationship with Chris and that’s it. I can’t even tell if AF went to Patience’s wedding. And I haven’t seen any pics of her with her only niece (Grace’s daughter). Chris still has a good relationship with Lisa because Chris is an extremely forgiving person. They have the patience of a damn saint. I would’ve said “fuck all y’all!!!” By now if I was in their place. 

18 minutes ago, VVV said:

I'd certainly have to agree. Lisa got a wake-up call and rose to the occasion, in the sense that she ultimately decided having a real relationship with her daughters was more important than anything else.  One of those daughters posted here to let us know that, in defense of her mother, that Lisa loved too much, rather than not enough.  

It would be fascinating if Lisa would write about how she navigated those changes, but like Doug and Beall, this likely will never happen.  When we first encountered her, she was strictly (rigidly) patriarchy and SAHD.  She may still believe that, but accepts her daughters who have not chosen that path. 

2 hours ago, Lurky said:

Thank you. Lisa and James put Alecia through hell. Their ongoing relationship with their other children does not excuse what they did to her. My personal opinion, having come from a fundie background with a mother who reminds me very much of Lisa, is that social media sunshine is probably still covering huge family strain. 

You might look into the Jeubs.  I don’t have a board link at hand but Cynthia is a member here and been quite open about stuff.  

Archived