IGNORED

Shockingly Anti-Semitic Post from Tim Bayly

DomWackTroll

One small correction in the "scoffers" (is that even biblical?) list. Bill Maher was raised Catholic and is now Atheist. He was never Jewish.

1 minute ago, marmalade said:

One small correction in the "scoffers" (is that even biblical?) list. Bill Maher was raised Catholic and is now Atheist. He was never Jewish.

I believe that one of his parents is ethnically Jewish, so I'm sure that's close enough for Tim. 

What an utterly hateful human being. Come on man, Mel Brooks is one of the funniest men to ever grace the human race! 

39 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

I've never heard of this guy, and this poisonous outburst really doesn't inspire me to read further. Just to make things clear, is it Jewish comedians in general that are to be despised, or is it only when they make Christian jokes?  What happens when a Christian makes a Christian joke? Or is it comedians in general he hates?

And what is with the comment about the "holocaust industry"? Let me guess - this asshole is a Holocaust denier.

For starters, it isn’t “going against culture” to wish someone a Merry Christmas. Yes, “happy holidays” is more inclusive and imho preferable, but I’ve been wished “Merry Christmas” countless times this season, so I dont exactly feel like it’s some kind of radical statement to do so. 

Secondly, it’s Christmas. What kind of fear-mongering hateful bullshit is this to publish on the day Christian’s celebrate the birth of Jesus? Who, as I recall, was also a Jew. 

12 minutes ago, artdecades said:

Can someone please tell me what he says cuz I don’t want to give this asshole clicks. 

Basically, that a lot of really funny comedians are Jews and since they're Jewish and deny Christ, to enjoy their comedy is to "...walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers."  All good, right and true Christians (c)(r)(tm) are to avoid them.

I think that leaves the sole source of humor to be Tim Hawkins.

So because Jews don't accept Jesus as the messiah, they can't be funny??? I don't understand the correlation but then I'm not a hateful asshole.

Slightly hidden behind a very thin veil, the animus motivating men like Stewart and Maher is their hatred for God. Jews excel at mockery, and for good reason: they rejected their Messiah and ever after have been justifying it—those Jews who still reject Him, that is.

Ah, Tim -- such an old, dull argument.

This is the predictable conclusion of Christian fundamentalism, with a bit of "Jews are a monolithic group, I know all about them and you don't, and they are raised to be mean and icky" thrown in. Y'know -- racism, about people who aren't actually a race.

I live in a world where this has always been lurking in the background. There are people who turn their Christian faith around into hatred, full of fury that anyone could "reject" (sorry to seem Jillish, but I put it in quotes because the idea that any person or culture who simply go on with their own lives is actively rejecting something is pretty silly to me) what they consider the greatest gift ever offered.

As one of the first groups offered this gift, Jews who said "no, thank you" get an extra dose of this rage. Muslims and atheists seem to be next on the list -- I guess Fundies hear the former as saying "something supercedes this" and the latter "I just don't find this logical," and it offends them. They don't seem to get as worked up about Hindus, Buddhists, etc.

Part of what I had to do, being raised as a Jew (now an atheist, BTW, but some of this still applies) is to have faith in the people around me to interpret and modernize their religion, and not want to dismiss, defame, convert or kill me because of it.

Most of the Christians I have met have done a fine job of that, I'm happy to say. Those I know IRL, and here on FJ, take what is positive and kind, and reject what is hateful.

Back to Tim's spew:

If the Holocaust industry and all those who live trembling at the thought of their disapproval call what I just wrote “anti-Semitism,” so be it.

Classic Holocaust denier crap. Jews and Judaism have a long, complex, and very varied history. I don't know any Jews who grind on and on about Nazi Germany, or see that moment in history as their sole identity. Bigots who want to re-ignite hatred make it seem that way, and act like they have to defend sweet little bigots against the Powerful Jews Who Control the World By Constantly Reminding Everyone of the Holocaust While Running the Banks and Media.

More Tim:

The Christian is to turn away from mockers and scorners, and it’s important we understand the motivation behind these women and men is very religious. Don’t be simpletons in the entertainment you consume. Mocking is addictive and it destroys Christian faith.

Many of the people on his list created humor that was silly, fun, and had no mockery in it. So there goes that theory.

Also, Tim, mockery, of Jesus, Christians, or anything else, is not a part of the religion.

Here are some anti-mockery verses from Psalms and Proverbs (y'know -- the pre-Jesus stuff, that Jews study and follow, that Tim would dismiss as the "Old Testament."):

Proverbs 29:11

A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.

Psalm 1:1-3

Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers.

But then, he knew that. He just wanted to be a bigot and still come off as righteous. Not possible, Timmy.

"The Holocaust industry"? Holy shit. It's terrifying to see how much more out in the open this stuff is in recent years.

1 hour ago, thoughtful said:

The Christian is to turn away from mockers and scorners, and it’s important we understand the motivation behind these women and men is very religious.

And isn't it interesting that he puts women before men in this sentence, even though the vast majority of Jewish comedians (and all comedians) are men? Somehow, women are always to blame, even more so than men. 

And by the way, Tim, many, many non-Jewish comedians/writers/artists/musicians have "mocked Christianity." Ever heard of these guys? 

Python.jpg

16 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

And by the way, Tim, many, many non-Jewish comedians/writers/artists/musicians have "mocked Christianity." Ever heard of these guys? 

You probably know this, DWT -- I see your use of quotes.

But for anyone that doesn't, The Life of Brian is mostly mocking of assholes who use religion to look for signs and wonders that suit their purpose, those who use it to be rigid about rules,  those who make a big deal out of tiny doctrinal differences, and those who feel only their group should own and control territories.

It didn't mock  belief, Christianity or Jesus. It could be argued that it mocks just about everything Bayly is, though! 

48 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

It didn't mock  belief, Christianity or Jesus. It could be argued that it mocks just about everything Bayly is, though! 

Here's the standard response letter that Python sent out to those that complained about "Life of Brian" -- it's spot on:

Dear __________

Thank you for your letter regarding the film Monty Python’s Life of Brian. Whilst we understand your concern, we would like to correct some misconceptions you may have about the film which may be since you have not had the chance to see it before forming your views. The film is set in Biblical times, but it is not about Jesus. It is a comedy, but we would like to think that it does have serious attitudes and certain things to say about human nature. It does not ridicule Christ, nor does it show Christ in any way that could offend anyone, nor is belief in God or Christ a subject dealt with in the film.

We are aware that certain organizations have been circulating misinformation on these points and are sorry that you have been misled. We hope you will go see the film yourself and come to your own conclusions about its virtues and defects. In any case, we hope you find it funny.

Best wishes,

Monty Python

Maxwell, I remembered that statement, and did a brief search (clearly, too brief!), wanting to include it in my post. Thanks for posting it.

Not a problem @thoughtful-- I was actually looking for the text of an interview that John Cleese did that discussed the issue and ran across the letter.  I had never see it before.

Python is a favorite of mine and was instrumental in showing me the folly of "religion".  They are also the ones that lead me to believe truth is truth, even if spoken by "non-believers"... but I've always been a bit of a rebel.  ? 

3 hours ago, thoughtful said:

assholes who use religion to look for signs and wonders that suit their purpose, those who use it to be rigid about rules,  those who make a big deal out of tiny doctrinal differences, and those who feel only their group should own and control territories.

Pretty good summation of the Bayly brothers, actually.

34 minutes ago, Soulhuntress said:

DWT are they closeted or just so repressed they come across as a pissy overwrought queen who thinks she is all that?

Seriously, this guy is so dramatic and hysterical, and then has the nerve to accuse gay men of being weak and "feminine," whatever the hell that means. Tim Bayly makes Aunt Pittypat look calm and reasonable. 

15 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

Seriously, this guy is so dramatic and hysterical, and then has the nerve to accuse gay men of being weak and "feminine," whatever the hell that means. Tim Bayly makes Aunt Pittypat look calm and reasonable. 

He is a wannabe heman woman hater isn't he bless his heart!

I remember when there was a pic of the two Bayly brothers, standing together in tuxes and boutonnières, on their blog, and some of our snarky brethren and sistern congratulated them on their marriage. The pic disappeared with a quickness.

The “holocaust industry” must not be doing well. Recent research showed that an alarmingly high percentage of millennials in parts of Europe and in the USA did not know what “the holocaust” referred to.

Yes, I’m talking about the holocaust of murder of European Jews in the 1930s & 1940s.

Catch that, Bayly? You rotten excuse for a minister of the Gospel. 

ETA: And another thing!  Research showed that young European adults who were critical of Jews estimated Jews as comprising 20% of the world population. 

The actual percentage of Jews among the people on Earth? It’s 0.6%.

That’s 6/10ths of one (1) percent of the world’s population  

Why do so many fear Jews? I’ve nrver understood it.

And when he MOCKS - oh yes, he does - people who call his statements “anti-Semitic,” he’s obviously proud of being an outspoken bigot and hate-monger. I’ve studied Jesus of Nazareth for decades.  Never is He shown as bigoted. He teaches resistance to bad theology and corrupt leaders, but He never hates on The Others. 

Bayly is so wrong, it’s hard to know where to start. 

“warhorn,” as a blog title. Indeed. Wimpkazoo, more like. 

Archived