IGNORED

Chicago parish burns rainbow flag

47of74

Some Chicago area Catholics must really be pining for the good ol days when the church could burn books and people it didn't like with impunity.

In a church bulletin posted this month, the Rev. Paul Kalchik, a Roman Catholic priest at Resurrection Parish in Chicago, announced that he would burn a rainbow pride flag that had once been prominently displayed at the church.

“On Saturday, September 29, the Feast of Saint Michael, Gabriel and Raphael, we will burn, in front of the church, the rainbow flag that was unfortunately hanging in our sanctuary during the ceremonial first Mass as Resurrection parish,” Kalchik, who joined the church 11 years ago, wrote.

When the Archdiocese of Chicago got wind of Kalchik’s plans to burn the rainbow flag, it told him he could not proceed. "We can confirm that the pastor has agreed not to move forward with these activities,” Anne Maselli, a spokesperson for the Archdiocese of Chicago, told The Windy City Times.

But despite the archdiocese’s request, Kalchik and some of his parishioners did move forward and burned the flag last Friday.

Unless the church removes him from the priesthood they are complicit as far as I am concerned.

I feel like the Catholic Church is gearing up for a schism in a not so distant future. The various ultra-conservative movements are acting out a lot lately, even against express prohibition from hierarchies, something that wasn't very common in the past.

I feel like the Catholic Church is gearing up for a schism in a not so distant future. The various ultra-conservative movements are acting out a lot lately, even against express prohibition from hierarchies, something that wasn't very common in the past.

Yeah they were all about the Holy Father being infallible when he was on their side. The second Francis got in not so much.

Ultra conservatives disobeying hierarchies is nothing new. For example the SSPX thought JPII was too liberal.

2 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Yeah they were all about the Holy Father being infallible when he was on their side. The second Francis got in not so much.

Ultra conservatives disobeying hierarchies is nothing new. For example the SSPX thought JPII was too liberal.

True, but it was only one particularly bigoted and retrograde congregation. Now the discontent among conservative circles is much more widespread and goes way beyond the latin mass rite. They seem to oppose change, any and all the change, even baby steps towards being slightly more open towards LGBT+ people, divorced and remarried people and being generally less bigoted.

This all reminds me of the US Episcopal congregations that aligned themselves with an Anglican organization the minute the gay priest Gene Robinson was made archbishop.

@Hane, those "Anglican" churches may have aligned themselves with some African dioceses, but they are not recognized as part of the Anglican communion.  

On 9/23/2018 at 3:41 PM, zeebaneighba said:

The priest who burned the flag has been removed from the parish.

https://wgntv.com/2018/09/22/cardinal-removes-flag-burning-priest/

Yeah I saw that too.

Days after it was revealed that the Rev. Paul Kalchik of Avondale’s Resurrection Catholic Church burned a rainbow banner that once hung in the church, Cardinal Blase Cupich, archbishop of Chicago, has removed him from his role as head of the North Side church.

“For some weeks now, I have become increasingly concerned about a number of issues at Resurrection Parish,” read a letter, signed by Cupich, to parishioners and staff at the church. “It has become clear to me that Fr. Kalchik must take time away from the parish to receive pastoral support so his needs can be assessed.”

Monsignor James Kaczorowski, pastor of Queen of Angels parish, was appointed administrator of Resurrection Parish, effective Friday evening, according to the notice.

“I do not take this step lightly,” Cupich continued. “Rather, I act out of concern for Fr. Kalchik’s welfare and that of the people of Resurrection Parish. I have a responsibility to be supportive of our priests when they have difficulties, but I also have a duty to ensure that those who serve our faithful are fully able to minister to them in the way the Church expects.”

I hope this guy is never a rector of a parish ever again.  He's not the kind of person I would want around any parishioners of any age.

On 9/23/2018 at 1:22 PM, PennySycamore said:

@Hane, those "Anglican" churches may have aligned themselves with some African dioceses, but they are not recognized as part of the Anglican communion.  

Yeah there's a breakaway parish in the Quad Cities that joined up with the ACNA because the Episcopal Church decided they wanted to treat LGBTQ as human beings and give them full equality.  A number of parishes in what was the Diocese of Quincy had joined them in breaking away.  The remaining parishes reformed the Diocese of Qunicy, which eventually merged back in to the Diocese of Chicago.

Archived