IGNORED

MEChelle out-skates kids....in a skirt.

Sacrilicious Twerk-a-Work

Jinger posted a video on her Instagram of MeChelle skating.......VERY quickly....and backwards....in a skirt. 

I grew up Pentecostal Holiness. We were (sometimes) allowed pants OR leggings with a short skirt for roller skating.
I imagine she was quite the skater in her "unholy" (read: pre-Jimbob) days of enjoying "worldly" wicked of skating at the rink during the late 70s and early 80s. 

...........also, I am bemused that she is showing off her skating to one of the most delightfully gay anthems in existence :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnrsAfXBqFJ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Pretty sad when a fundie parent has more youthful energy and ability than the kids....but I suppose when your kids are raising your other children, you have time for such hobbies?

That makes me sad because it contrasts her freedom when growing up against the way she raises her own children. You know they aren't hanging out at the local rink with friends! 

2 minutes ago, katilac said:

That makes me sad because it contrasts her freedom when growing up against the way she raises her own children. You know they aren't hanging out at the local rink with friends! 

The local homeschoolers do go to that rink regularly. I went quite a few times with the homeschoolers, so that video brings back memories! I never saw the Duggars there when I was going, though.

I imagine Michelle would have done more athletic stuff if she hadn’t been a fundie mom of 20. I can imagine her teaching aerobics classes and helping her kids practice their preferred sport in the back yard. She seems to be a natural athlete. 

I believe that was from the original series and one of the rare moments that Michelle wasn't pregnant, took her own skates tot he rink and rocked it.  

4 hours ago, katilac said:

In one of those 7 degrees of separation things, ok 2 degrees, I have an internet friend/blog buddy who went to HS with Michelle.  I should probably ask her how Michelle was as a teenager, but from what she has said I get the feeling that Michelle was "normal" until she met her husband.  After that, she changed a great deal.

22 hours ago, Sacrilicious Twerk-a-Work said:

...........also, I am bemused that she is showing off her skating to one of the most delightfully gay anthems in existence :)

Seriously, does no one ever listen to the lyrics or do they just not understand what the YMCA used to be notorious for?

6 hours ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

I am in shock she never raised her voice at her kids. I yell at my 4 year old daily and I only have 2. 

I am clearly a crap Mum :(

My mom very rarely raised her voice when I was growing up. It’s just not her nature. She’s a quiet person in general. I yell at my kids all the time so obviously I didnt get that gene. I’m also a loud talker. Unfortunately my kids inherited my loud gene :(

On 9/14/2018 at 8:06 PM, katilac said:

Silly @katilac, you don’t need friends when you have siblings and Jesus. :penguin-wink:

On 9/15/2018 at 4:46 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

My mom very rarely raised her voice when I was growing up. It’s just not her nature. She’s a quiet person in general. I yell at my kids all the time so obviously I didnt get that gene. I’m also a loud talker. Unfortunately my kids inherited my loud gene :(

Same here. That’s what drew me to the show in the first place..I couldn’t get over how CALM and QUIET she was all the time with SO many children! While I felt I was screaming all day long. 

My mom wasn’t a screamer, but she’s a VERY quiet, introverted person. When I wasn’t screaming I’m pretty quiet - and introverted. But the general volume and irritability / excitement / yelling / laughter / talk over each other level of 95% of my family is in the call-the-cops-we-can-hear-you-in-the-next-County range.

See, I am the opposite kind of mom. When I get calm and quiet, that's when you have to worry. The rest of the time we are all insanely loud and probably annoyingly feral to the rest of the world. I want to roller derby Mechelle now, btw.

My kids knew the shit was about to hit the fan when I got quiet. The rest of the time folks probably thought the little jerks were getting beaten to death...I didn't lay a hand on them. Sibling rivalry: the idea that your kids are trying to kill each other and you just might let them. 

Good for Michelle for being able to rollerskate like that - I'm glad the kids at least got to have the experience, and some of them didn't seem half bad, so hopefully it's something fun they to get to do (with music that has a beat!) on a semiregular basis. I used to love going to our local roller rink when I was a kid - it was one of the very few bright spots in my childhood, but that rink closed by the time I was 9 or 10, and there don't seem to be any left in my City. As an aside, roller and ice skating were always popular with the skirts only crowd I grew up with - probably because it's an athletic activity that the skirts don't really hinder.

10 hours ago, feministxtian said:

My kids knew the shit was about to hit the fan when I got quiet. The rest of the time folks probably thought the little jerks were getting beaten to death...I didn't lay a hand on them. Sibling rivalry: the idea that your kids are trying to kill each other and you just might let them. 

I grew up with only sisters and we were terrible, always fighting with each other.  My mother constantly told us to not do so but we persisted so she would be like:  "If one of you needs to go to the hospital, call me but other wise you have to handle it yourself, I told you not to fight".  I was always in the fights though 'cause I'm in the middle and the age difference between my older sister and my younger was too much for them to fight each other (eight years).

I am weirdly closer in age to Meechelle  and in the alternative universe can 100% see her at 14 in hot pants or super short shorts in the late 70s or early 80s full on rockin' the roller disco life.

On 9/17/2018 at 2:36 PM, freedomfromfrumpers said:

I am weirdly closer in age to Meechelle  and in the alternative universe can 100% see her at 14 in hot pants or super short shorts in the late 70s or early 80s full on rockin' the roller disco life.

Oh my gosh yes. 

Since she was a cheerleader in high school, and used to mow the lawn in a bikini, you KNOW she had to be rockin' the shorties! I grew up about 2 hours west (Oklahoma) of where they are--our summers were humid and absurd, so shorts are relief. 

Which makes me wonder, maybe somewhere beneath the hairspray and insanity, somewhere in there is a Michelle--not MEEChelle--that wants to take her kids skating, letting them date, be regular kids, enjoy fun nights with *gasp* worldly friends.....

@Sacrilicious Twerk-a-Work, I agree with you; Michelle herself grew up just fine, despite her brief foray into bikinis and slingshots. She was typical. She had friends and they had fun. It seems a popular opinion here is that Michelle is behind all the strictness (many terms could be added here) in that family and that JB sits back and allows her to run things as she wishes. I'll concede that may be the way it is.  But since the get-go (14 kids and Pregnant Again) I have perceived it as JB being all-controlling to the extent that Michelle is afraid of him at times, as if she has seen his wrath over minor 'transgressions' she or a kid has committed, and to avoid his wrath she jumps the gun to correct kids or statements, or vigorously reinforce their holiness. It seems she really over-compensates to keep things running smoothly around there and JB from flying off the handle. Years and years of all this with no relief in sight would drive anyone to craziness.

And I've always assumed JB had all sorts of bad and lascivious thoughts in his head. To make him appear normal he portrays himself to Michelle to be like all other boys/men and that they ALL have those lascivious thoughts and desires about women (and/or other boys/men, and I mean much more severe thoughts/desires than typical males) thus the hyper-vigilance for all things NIKE and the acceptance that Josh couldn't help himself back then.

On 9/14/2018 at 2:47 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I imagine Michelle would have done more athletic stuff if she hadn’t been a fundie mom of 20. I can imagine her teaching aerobics classes and helping her kids practice their preferred sport in the back yard. She seems to be a natural athlete. 

Michelle has proven to be quite ''athletic'' (not in a Olympian kind of way OFC) in previous 19K episodes no? I recall her being very good at water-skiing as well. (Which impressed me a ton considering I am 25 years younger than her, have had no kids and I can't even stay up for 3 seconds on water-skis. Haha! ? ) Only makes me think how much more active she would have been if she had not fallen into fundiedom.

The video made me think of Jessa's comment in the last Counting On epsiode, where she explained why the Duggar girls don't always were skirts for certain sport activities, because it would defy the purpose of modesty. It baffles me they don't think of safety either. I mean, doing roller blade in pants must be much less of a hazard than in a full-lenght skirt? But then again, how many times have we seen Duggar girls doing tons of ''unsafe'' activities in flipflops.

Archived