mollysmom

Ok so I'm PRETTY sure I'm going through menopause. I'm only 41 but my mom went through it early & i had a hysterectomy 3 years ago (they only took my uterus) but my Dr warned me that I will start menopause much earlier than normal because of that. I have a doctors appointment next month so I'll bring this up but I wanted to see what you all thought. I'm definitely having hot flashes (I have my bedroom air conditioner on 50 degrees, plus I have the ceiling fan on & I still wake up drenched in sweat), I have been extremely moody....I mean, unfortunately I've always been a moody person but honestly, I'm being ridiculous lately. Ridiculous! I can't even stand to be around myself! It's terrible!!! :( So I'm trying to find something I can take at least until I get in to see my Dr. I'm seriously afraid of losing my job....I've been that bad!! I did a little research online and saw "St Johns Wort" I was thinking of trying that maybe but I was hoping to get suggestions/advice from you ladies. I can't live like this. It's terrible!! :(

• Love 2

If you haven't done so already, get your thyroid checked. Seriously. I had many of the menopause symptoms, but it turned out that I really had thyroid issues.  They're very common in women around our age (I'm 40).

Edited by keen23
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1
GreyhoundFan

I went through menopause early. I was only 42. I had monstrous hot flashes. I would be sitting at my desk and suddenly it was like my entire abdomen and chest were a blast furnace. It was embarrassing because I'd suddenly be drenched in sweat. It didn't help that I was one of only two women in my department. I also had vicious mood swings, which was unpleasant for my colleagues. I couldn't sleep at night because of the night sweats. All-in-all, a very unpleasant time.

I worked with my doctor, who felt I might have a sub-clinical thyroid issue. Thyroid medication didn't help me. What helped most was i-cool. A couple of weeks after I started taking it, I went from 3-5 hot flashes an hour each lasting up to 10 minutes to one every three to four hours. The intensity also lowered tremendously. Instead of being insane, they became merely inconvenient.

I also upped my water intake, though I tried to drink more early in the day, so I wouldn't wake up to go to the bathroom 10 times each night.

I started taking an ice pack to bed. I put it inside a pillow case and start out with it on my pillow, moving it off after a bit, then putting it back on the pillow if I wake up warm. I didn't try a bed fan, but a friend did and said it helped her.

Please do talk to your doctor. Around this time, we discovered I had some pretty serious deficiencies. My vitamin D was "in the sewer" and I was anemic (yes, that usually makes people colder, but I had to be "special").

Keep your chin up, there are many of us who understand. Remember that the worst of the symptoms eventually fade.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3
MarblesMom
4 hours ago, keen23 said:

If you haven't done so already, get your thyroid checked.

I agree.   See your dr. 

Yeah, been there, done that, still taking the pills.  The exhaustion and night sweats haven't stopped.

Agree on the Vitamin D.   Took it for a long time, and...  here we are.

DEEP SIGH.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1
  • 1 month later...
danvillebelle

I'm right there with you gals.  

Hot flashes once a day, night sweats often.  My girls make fun of me because of how often I ask "is it hot in here, or is it me?"  "it's you mom".  Allrighty then.

Has anyone else developed weird clothing sensitivities with menopause?  I literally cannot wear anything but very soft cotton knit clothing, or I feel like I am going to crawl out of my skin and almost have a panic attack.  Also bras - no breast pain or anything, I just can't stand the feeling of being bound around the middle.  I only put one on if I'm going out; if I am in the house, NO BRA.

So my wardrobe is down to 7 tees, 2 maxi skirts, and 2 pairs of joggers for lounging.  That's it.  I gave everything else away.  It's a good thing I am a homemaker, 'cause I'd be screwed if I had to dress up every day.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
clueliss

I've recently noticed that any rapid increase in temperature.  Legitimate increase (looking at you antiquated HVAC system at work) or my body often brings forth some sort of low-level panic attack/anxiety issue.