mollysmom

Ok so I'm PRETTY sure I'm going through menopause. I'm only 41 but my mom went through it early & i had a hysterectomy 3 years ago (they only took my uterus) but my Dr warned me that I will start menopause much earlier than normal because of that. I have a doctors appointment next month so I'll bring this up but I wanted to see what you all thought. I'm definitely having hot flashes (I have my bedroom air conditioner on 50 degrees, plus I have the ceiling fan on & I still wake up drenched in sweat), I have been extremely moody....I mean, unfortunately I've always been a moody person but honestly, I'm being ridiculous lately. Ridiculous! I can't even stand to be around myself! It's terrible!!! :( So I'm trying to find something I can take at least until I get in to see my Dr. I'm seriously afraid of losing my job....I've been that bad!! I did a little research online and saw "St Johns Wort" I was thinking of trying that maybe but I was hoping to get suggestions/advice from you ladies. I can't live like this. It's terrible!! :(

If you haven't done so already, get your thyroid checked. Seriously. I had many of the menopause symptoms, but it turned out that I really had thyroid issues.  They're very common in women around our age (I'm 40).

I went through menopause early. I was only 42. I had monstrous hot flashes. I would be sitting at my desk and suddenly it was like my entire abdomen and chest were a blast furnace. It was embarrassing because I'd suddenly be drenched in sweat. It didn't help that I was one of only two women in my department. I also had vicious mood swings, which was unpleasant for my colleagues. I couldn't sleep at night because of the night sweats. All-in-all, a very unpleasant time.

I worked with my doctor, who felt I might have a sub-clinical thyroid issue. Thyroid medication didn't help me. What helped most was i-cool. A couple of weeks after I started taking it, I went from 3-5 hot flashes an hour each lasting up to 10 minutes to one every three to four hours. The intensity also lowered tremendously. Instead of being insane, they became merely inconvenient.

I also upped my water intake, though I tried to drink more early in the day, so I wouldn't wake up to go to the bathroom 10 times each night.

I started taking an ice pack to bed. I put it inside a pillow case and start out with it on my pillow, moving it off after a bit, then putting it back on the pillow if I wake up warm. I didn't try a bed fan, but a friend did and said it helped her.

Please do talk to your doctor. Around this time, we discovered I had some pretty serious deficiencies. My vitamin D was "in the sewer" and I was anemic (yes, that usually makes people colder, but I had to be "special").

Keep your chin up, there are many of us who understand. Remember that the worst of the symptoms eventually fade.

4 hours ago, keen23 said:

If you haven't done so already, get your thyroid checked.

I agree.   See your dr. 

Yeah, been there, done that, still taking the pills.  The exhaustion and night sweats haven't stopped.

Agree on the Vitamin D.   Took it for a long time, and...  here we are.

DEEP SIGH.

• 1 month later...

I'm right there with you gals.  

Hot flashes once a day, night sweats often.  My girls make fun of me because of how often I ask "is it hot in here, or is it me?"  "it's you mom".  Allrighty then.

Has anyone else developed weird clothing sensitivities with menopause?  I literally cannot wear anything but very soft cotton knit clothing, or I feel like I am going to crawl out of my skin and almost have a panic attack.  Also bras - no breast pain or anything, I just can't stand the feeling of being bound around the middle.  I only put one on if I'm going out; if I am in the house, NO BRA.

So my wardrobe is down to 7 tees, 2 maxi skirts, and 2 pairs of joggers for lounging.  That's it.  I gave everything else away.  It's a good thing I am a homemaker, 'cause I'd be screwed if I had to dress up every day.

I've recently noticed that any rapid increase in temperature.  Legitimate increase (looking at you antiquated HVAC system at work) or my body often brings forth some sort of low-level panic attack/anxiety issue.  

Archived