IGNORED

NY AG subpoenas all eight Catholic dioceses over abuse probe

47of74

Interesting news.

New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood has subpoenaed all eight Roman Catholic dioceses in the state as part of an investigation into the handling of sex abuse allegations.

A law enforcement source familiar with the investigation but not authorized to speak publicly told The Associated Press the subpoenas went out Thursday.

The subpoenas seek documents relating to abuse allegations, payments to victims or findings from internal church investigations.

Underwood's office is pursuing a civil investigation into the church's response to abuse reports and has also reached out to local prosecutors authorized to convene grand juries or pursue criminal investigations.

Given the stunning results of the AG investigation in PA, this is not surprising. An overdue step but a needed one.

If there's one consistently clear finding to date it's that the RCC cannot be trusted to do the right thing, and should NOT be left to investigate itself.

• 4 weeks later...

Not going to make a new topic yet but the Michigan AG has now served search warrants at Catholic dioceses statewide:

State police and the state Attorney General's office have executed search warrants at Catholic dioceses across Michigan in relation to the handling of clergy sex abuse allegations.

The  Diocese of Kalamazoo and the Diocese of Grand Rapids both issued similar statements Wednesday, Oct. 3 to acknowledge the search warrants.

Officials with both dioceses say they are cooperating fully.

I think AGs should look at subpoenaing dioceses, executing search warrants, and the like to remind the bishops that just because Kavadouche is in the court now like they wanted it does not mean they're off the hook now. 

On 9/6/2018 at 12:58 PM, hoipolloi said:

If there's one consistently clear finding to date it's that the RCC cannot be trusted to do the right thing, and should NOT be left to investigate itself.

I think that applies to any institution. Really, the Catholic Church is only shocking in the global scale of the issue. Any group or organization that does not answer to others decends into abuse. Always.

I think every criticism of the Catholic Church as an institution is fair and valid. I mean when the crap came out about ATI and Bill Gothard, the Duggars, Bates, and all the rest were rightly called out for their complicity. The church as an institution is rotten to the core, 

Archived