IGNORED

Essential Oil Facebook Kerfluffle (Wilson vs. McDonald)

DomWackTroll

The anointing oil used by Jesus and his disciples contained an ingredient called kaneh-bosem which has since been identified as cannabis extract, according to an article by Chris Bennett in the drugs magazine, High Times, entitled Was Jesus a Stoner? The incense used by Jesus in ceremonies also contained a cannabis extract, suggests Mr Bennett, who quotes scholars to back his claims.

Jesus 'healed using cannabis'

Bible Bombshell - Holy smoke: Jesus used cannabis oil to perform 'miracles'

Scholars even point to a cannabis oil recipe in Exodus 30: 22-25: “Take also for yourself the finest of spices: of flowing myrrh five hundred shekels, and of fragrant cinnamon half as much, two hundred and fifty, and of fragrant cane two hundred and fifty … it shall be a holy anointing oil.”

Of course James Pennington liked McDonald’s post :5624798180220_Jigglejiggledance:

Maybe these two should let their wives fight their own oily battles on FB. 

Priceless post: 

Screenshot 2018-08-28 at 7.05.29 PM.png

Of course, as I read Becky Pliego's post about how awful it is that women are turning to essential oils instead of the Bible, I was thinking you could substitute people turning to Doug Wilson's writings instead of the Bible,  with the same outcome -- except you're supporting the sleazy Wilson family publishing empire. 

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Of course James Pennington liked McDonald’s post :5624798180220_Jigglejiggledance:

Maybe these two should let their wives fight their own oily battles on FB. 

I rather like the idea of oil wrestling. 

I would also would not be surprised that psychoactive substances were used during Old and New Testament times.  One website argues that 

The Hebrew word “kaneh bosm” is cannabis but was later mistranslated as other plants including calamus or aromatic cane.

Moses, burning bush, anyone?

Here's a review for a 2016 book called The Psychedelic Gospels by Julie and Jerry Brown. 

Magic Mushrooms for Early Christians

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Moses, burning bush, anyone?

I read a theory speculating that Moses was eating moldy rye bread, and the ergot in the mold was responsible for the burning bush.

I kind of love the idea..,

Oh.My.Oily.Forkin.Cow.

This war is hilarious. Nearly peed my pants!! (Is there an oil for that???)

3 minutes ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

Oh.My.Oily.Forkin.Cow.

This war is hilarious. Nearly peed my pants!! (Is there an oil for that???)

Pee Tree Oil ;)

5 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

The anointing oil used by Jesus and his disciples contained an ingredient called kaneh-bosem which has since been identified as cannabis extract, according to an article by Chris Bennett in the drugs magazine, High Times, entitled Was Jesus a Stoner? The incense used by Jesus in ceremonies also contained a cannabis extract, suggests Mr Bennett, who quotes scholars to back his claims.

Jesus 'healed using cannabis'

Bible Bombshell - Holy smoke: Jesus used cannabis oil to perform 'miracles'

Scholars even point to a cannabis oil recipe in Exodus 30: 22-25: “Take also for yourself the finest of spices: of flowing myrrh five hundred shekels, and of fragrant cinnamon half as much, two hundred and fifty, and of fragrant cane two hundred and fifty … it shall be a holy anointing oil.”

Ah, well if someone in the High Times says it then it must be true! :pb_lol:

A quick google shows that the theory that the oil was from cannabis is not a belief commonly held by scholars. It could be true, but it annoys me when people who so clearly have an agenda to push act like the debate is settled.

8 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Doug Wilson fires a shot across the bow:

Don’t you mean Doug Wilson Who Defends Pedophiles?

4 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Ah, well if someone in the High Times says it then it must be true! :pb_lol:

A quick google shows that the theory that the oil was from cannabis is not a belief commonly held by scholars. It could be true, but it annoys me when people who so clearly have an agenda to push act like the debate is settled.

I was actually looking for a clip from the TV Show Weeds where some religious stoner explains that theory :D I don't believe it for a second either. If they smoked something, I'd guess something like salvia divinorum, which has an LSD-like effect and makes you hallucinate, now THAT would explain things :)

Dangit. Now I seriously want some legit Pee Free oil. Somebody help a sister out!

3 hours ago, Columbia said:

Don’t you mean Doug Wilson Who Defends Pedophiles?

Or Doug Wilson Who Thinks Slavery Was Totally A-OK (check out Libby Anne's recent post: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2018/08/it-is-long-past-time-for-evangelical-leaders-to-condemn-doug-wilsons-views-on-slavery-and-the-south/)

It would be hilarious(??) if all these decent evangelical housewives turned against him not for those things, but because he disapproves of their MLMs.

2 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

I was actually looking for a clip from the TV Show Weeds where some religious stoner explains that theory :D I don't believe it for a second either. If they smoked something, I'd guess something like salvia divinorum, which has an LSD-like effect and makes you hallucinate, now THAT would explain things :)

Couldn't find the clip about oil... but spiritual weed "it's natural, it's made by god himself!"

https://youtu.be/Xy_4jcRXur8

2 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

The ball got rolling with John Mark Allegro, who wrote The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross: A Study of the Nature and Origins of Christianity Within the Fertility Cults of the Ancient Near East  in 1970.  Interestingly, all copies of this book, although listed in the current catalog of the Big University where I worked, were missing from the shelves.  

Wiki: 

The book relates the development of language to the development of myths, religions, and cultic practices in world cultures. Allegro argues, through etymology, that the roots of Christianity, and many other religions, lay in fertility cults, and that cult practices, such as ingesting visionary plants to perceive the mind of God, persisted into the early Christian era, and to some unspecified extent into the 13th century with reoccurrences in the 18th century and mid-20th century, as he interprets the fresco of the Plaincourault Chapel to be an accurate depiction of the ritual ingestion of Amanita muscaria as the Eucharist.

The book was widely ridiculed when it was published and cost Allegro his university position, but guess what?  Current scholarship is reevaluating his thoughts on the subject.  

More Wiki:

Some studies of Allegro's work have given new purported evidence and led to calls for his theories to be re-evaluated by the mainstream.[8] In November 2009 The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross was reprinted in a 40th anniversary edition with 30-page addendum by Prof. Carl A. P. Ruck of Boston University.[9] A more articulate exposition of Allegro's insights into early Christianity and his discoveries studying the Dead Sea Scrolls was published in his 1979 book The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Christian Myth.

Yes, Allegro was an eccentric scholar.  Yes, I took psychedelics during my college years.  Psilocybin mushrooms grow locally in cowpastures after a rain and weren't too hard to get.  I think most people who have experienced psychedelics first hand would not dismiss the idea of ancient people using easily available, local psychoactive substances as an integral part of spiritual ritual, and psilocybin mushrooms do grow in the Holy Land and throughout many other parts of the world.  

When I finish wading through my current political reading, I think I'll wade into the Allegro books and also the book I referenced in my post up thread. 

Anyway, back to EO social media feuding!  It's gonna be good and may be epic! 

I would love to see this get so messy. Come on, James-- grow a pair and call Doug out by name. Doug, write your own post instead of hiding behind some woman's skirts. Assert your biblical manhood, both of you, for my entertainment. 

I was scrolling through James' FB posts. He seems to suffer from diarrhea of the keyboard. Is there an oil for that? :my_biggrin:

I find it hilarious that McDonald left pastorship when Stacy’s oil business took off. Or was he asked to vacate the pulpit? They truly made it big in YL. I’m willing to bet that using the authority of Mrs. Pastor’s Wife has something to do with her success. Me thinks that the prosperity gospel starkly differed from his previous beliefs. 

3 hours ago, Mrs. Bean said:

Or was he asked to vacate the pulpit? 

We'll never know for sure from James or Stacy, but after they both did some vague-booking several years ago, James announced that he would be taking a "sabbatical" from the "ministry."

Further sleuthing by an FJ-er found that the "sabbatical" had more to do with church discipline & infighting than with reading, research, or even essential oils.

BTW, it appears that all of the FB links to the McDonalds' FB pages in that thread have vanished into the ether.

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2018 at 4:09 PM, squiddysquid said:

The anointing oil used by Jesus and his disciples contained an ingredient called kaneh-bosem which has since been identified as cannabis extract,

I've heard this before but haven't run across anything I could consider scholarly to back it up.

Archived